The Terrible Economy and Cruising

I just hope when we get someone else in the White House things change 360° economy wise. .

I hope it changes 180*. Wouldn't 360 put us in the same direction we are now? HaHa!! Gotta put some humor in it, right?

Jay

We are locked into our next two cruises - Princess gave us a deal to move our booking to Oct and we only owe $500 for a mini suite. After that I think we are going to cut back on things and only cruise once a year in Jan for our anniversary.

We live only an hour to two hours from every port in Fl. If we had to fly we wouldn't cruise.

We are looking a getting a pool and just enjoying that our vacations at home, plus we only live an 10 mins from the beach.

We live only an hour to two hours from every port in Fl. If we had to fly we wouldn't cruise.

We are looking a getting a pool and just enjoying that our vacations at home, plus we only live an 10 mins from the beach.

WOW! Will you adopt me? Please please?? I will come and use your pool and beach..but hmmmm at the price of airfare- from Idaho it could be alot!

Lucky you living so close to the Port- its not the cruise prices that stink it is the air prices! NOT to mention ya can't trust them to get you from HERE to THERE or ANYWHERE!

Yup- we all just need to count our blessings cuz we do have them:D

With gas prices going up and up, people losing their jobs and unemployment at a all time rise since 1986, is the cruise industry hurting? * Has this terrible economy put a damper on your vacation plans for this year or next. Things have got to get better I NEED a cruise and I won't be sailing anywhere this year. I am saving for a 2009 cruise and I do hope it works out.

I don't think the cruise industry is hurting at all! Look at all the new ships coming out - someone's making money! While gas is going up along with everything else, we're still going on a cruise to Europe and Hawaii this year. Both of us work and I do extra things in my spare time to earn the money for a cruise (I bartend so tips are OK at times plus I do focus groups - where you get paid for giving your opinions on products) - all that extracurricular stuff I do pays for ALL cruises - I rarely have to touch any of the regular job money - I would be very depressed if I didn't get my cruise fix at least once a year! PS - I booked my own air and hotel and saved around $800 than if I was doing it with the air/sea dept. at Carnival. Got some good discounts off the cruise and a $200 OBC.

Laurie

We usually cruise in the fall and in the spring. IF my husband is well enough to cruise. With the economy like it is we are making some changes probably won't cruise this fall and still wondering about the spring. Gas prices are outrageous here in So. California, so a road trip to my sister in Idaho we had planned is on hold also. Don't get me wrong, I am so gratefull for all the things we do have , I am not complaining . We are seniors, and see how hard it is for younger couples to make ends meet these days. I sure hope things get better soon. Our younger generation needs a break. All that being said I am still proud to be an American.

Cori

I don't mean to be all gloom and doom, but I just don't think that one man (a president) is going to turn things around as quickly as needed. For the first time in my life, I truly am afraid of what is going to happen to this country.

The post above about the young couple having to choose between gas and food truly is heartbreaking and who would ever have thought that middle class, hard working Americans would be brought to this level?

For myself, I'm not worried as I own school buses and no matter what happens, the children will have to get to school. Also, hubby works for mass transit and their business is booming since people are resorting to mass transit due to the gas prices. So, our financial future seems as secure as possible, but what about others?

As I said, I try to be positive and am usually a glass is half full type of person, but I am starting to worry that we are headed to a depression that will make the first one look easy. If and when it happens, this country is going to be shaken to its core and frankly, that scares the hell out of me.

God Bless you all and keep smiling! :)

I don't mean to be all gloom and doom, but I just don't think that one man (a president) is going to turn things around as quickly as needed. For the first time in my life, I truly am afraid of what is going to happen to this country.

The post above about the young couple having to choose between gas and food truly is heartbreaking and who would ever have thought that middle class, hard working Americans would be brought to this level?

For myself, I'm not worried as I own school buses and no matter what happens, the children will have to get to school. Also, hubby works for mass transit and their business is booming since people are resorting to mass transit due to the gas prices. So, our financial future seems as secure as possible, but what about others?

As I said, I try to be positive and am usually a glass is half full type of person, but I am starting to worry that we are headed to a depression that will make the first one look easy. If and when it happens, this country is going to be shaken to its core and frankly, that scares the hell out of me.

God Bless you all and keep smiling! :)

Sadly I agree with you for where this wonderful country is heading! How blessed you are to have mass transit! Here in Idaho where we live there are no buses, trains, taxis are just starting- no subways,rails etc so we have to drive. Kind of hard to do that with a minimum wage of $5.75

How blessed we are to be able to save enough to take that vacation to relax and try to unwind from all this worlds stress. I personally am on a personal "fast" from news. WAY to much of it WAY to many hours and I have really been feeling my stress level raising from it. Maybe what I don't know won't hurt me at least for a little while?:rolleyes:

God bless you all and keep you safe in your travels!

My son, DIL and I usually cruise every summer. This year we are taking a break, saving our money and have already booked VOS for a cruise next June to Europe.

Got a great deal on the actual cruise, but now I'm worried about the air fare. I had thought about going ahead and booking the flight now, but that far out and not being able to get refunds from the airlines, I'm not sure. I even thought about booking air through the cruise line and canceling it if I can get it cheaper next year (HAHA)

It is getting scary. I'm fortunate. I have a good job, my house is paid for and it is just me, the dog and 2 cats! Son & DIL both have good jobs and are doing good.

If we can't go next year, then we won't go and figure out something else to do.

Dewana

one of my co-workers really wanted to take a short cruise in the fall. I was assisting her in picking out the ship and ports that they wanted to visit. However at work yesterday she imformed me that her husband's company announced to it's employees that they are closing down. It took her a long time to get him to agree to cruise and this happen. I hope that her husband get a great job soon and then we can pick the plans up.

In reading all of these posts, I have to say that I am probably the oddball out. I don't want to get into a whole thing - - but I have to say that the way that I'm able to cruise and enjoy all of our other vacations is because I began to look for ways to increase the size of my checking account.

I read a great book called "How to Get Rich Without Winning The Lottery" - and applied a lot of those principles.

Some are taking longer to "pay off" than others - but my bank account balance is growing monthly - - even in this "bad economy".

So - my belief truly is that you can sit and stew and hope things get better.... or you can take action and improve what your situation is in life.

I'm not meaning this to be negative in anyway. I am just trying to say that we all have choices and we all have the opportunity to move our lives in the direction that we want them to go.

If we don't do it - who will?

Y'know?

:D

Now - in general - I do have "budget tips" that I use to help fund my vacations:

- I buy in bulk when I can and freeze what I don't need right away.

- I do a lot of legwork myself in looking for the best flight deals, hotel deals, etc. For example, staying from Friday - Monday vs. Thursday - Sunday just saved us $1000 on airline tickets for our trip on Friday.

- We rent videos vs. going out to the movies (unless it's one that we REALLY want to see on the "big screen" - which is seldom).

- I buy my books etc. online vs. retail. (amazon dot com is my fav)

- I am an eBay shopper and look for great deals there before I buy retail

- we don't have 1000 channels on our tv.

- we don't drive the newest cars or try to compete w/our neighbors for who has the biggest, newest, etc.

- i am a big fan of online shopping and constantly am checking "coupon" sites for "codes" for things like free shipping, % off of order, etc.

- I use our "points cards" for our daily shopping and pay the balance each month. Those points do add up fast!

We've had the Serenade booked for Dec 08 for our 20th anniversary. We live close to the Galveston port, but really wanted the southern carribean. The airfare has gone up about 75us pp. So, we decided, do we cancel the cruise without penalty and not go at all? We booked before the fuel surcharge, so get that back in OBC. Got a good price on a hump balcony. We probably won't cruise for awhile until we see how the econemy goes, etc, etc, ect.Then , I went to the mailbox and recieved our 1200us stimulus check. I booked the flights last night. Since were going out of san juan, we are spending a night before and night after. Maybe the last cruise for awhile, but we are going to make it a good one!

We have a cruise on the Splendor coming up in December of this year. We are driving (approx. 14 hrs) from Knoxville to Ft. Lauderdale, as airfare was outrageous even when we booked the cruise. I'm a little anxious wondering just how high gas will be in December.

I work a 2nd job (part-time) and we've paid for our cruise from it. We splurged for a balcony room this time (our first) and are so looking forward to it. We're definitely not doing anything else in the way of travel this year, with prices as high as they are now.

I find it interesting when I read the boards.It is amazing to see how much emphasis that is placed on alcahol consumption. The price for a cocktail makes a gallon of gas seem like a bargain. I'm not anti alcahol but can have a good tine without it. I think air fare is still a bargain but a real hassel. I can drive to a 6 hour destination faster than I can fly. If I fly to Fla. the cruise has to be a minimum of 7 days. The price of a cruise is still a bargain. We have control over the other costs. I am amazed that some bar bills are almost as much or more than the cruise. I'm not saying that you shouldn't drink because it;s not my business. Actually I thank the drinkers for keeping the cruise price down.I hope everyone can afford to continue to cruise and spend money on what they want.

The price for a cocktail makes a gallon of gas seem like a bargain.

Before buying my smart car I would have disagreed with you, since my Jeep consumes way more gas than I could ever ingest in alcohol.... however now that I have a gas-sipper, we may be evenly matched ;)

Not only the price of alcohol. As we have become a nation of 'bottled water: drinkers- have you ever stopped to figure out how much per gallon those bottles of Evian etc cost? Gas is STILL cheaper! I am drinking tap water- nasty or not:D More $ for my cruise!

We came hours away from cancelling our cruise the October in Europe. The airfare is high, and the Euro is just beating the hell out of the US Dollar. Hotels that were $150/night in 2005 are now $300/night.

But, I cashed in all my frequent flier miles on United and got two tickets to London for $296. Then I booked two tickets on Alitalia to get from London to Rome round trip for $448 (both of us). So we got the airfare down. I hope Alitalia can stay in business, otherwise the alternative is British Air for $600 rt per person.

Instead of paying the high hotel costs in Rome, we decided to base ourselves out of London, and just fly in early the day of the cruise, and fly out late the day the cruise ends. It will also allow us some time to see London (we like London). I used Priceline and got the LHR Marriott for $75/night, and two nights on the return trip at the LHR Crown Plaza for $66/night. So we got the hotel costs down.

Then, I find that by reading the ports of call boards, many people on the cruise are hiring private tours (either personal or group) for outrageous charges, i.e. $1000 for a day's tour. Many are splitting the costs, but to us, it is still too high. We are very active people, so we decided to do as much as we can on our own (walking tours, using the trains and mass transit). There are a few ports where we have to take a tour because of time constraints, but that we be the only tours we take. We will try the Rick Steve's method of seeing the ports ourselves.

With the economy the way it is, this may be our last chance for a big cruise for our 25th anniversary. We will probably go back to short cruises out of Florida or California.

I think the cruise industry will be affected by the econony. Carnival is already planning to move a ship from Europe to the Caribbean because Americans are finding it too expensive to fly to Europe. I would have thought that Europeans would have been their main passengers on those cruises. If more and more people lose their jobs, or find that discretionary income disappears, fewer people will cruise. If fewer people cruise, demand will go down. Cruise lines may have to lower fares to get people to cruise, but their costs will also go up due oil prices. You may see some lines really having problems. Building more new ships is nice, but they may be sailing partially empty. The new ships were buillt when oil prices were lower and the demand for cruising was high.

Sorry for the long post.

P.S. Why does a gallon of milk always cost more than a gallon of gas? It always has.

P.S. Why does a gallon of milk always cost more than a gallon of gas? It always has.

I'm sorry, but in what world do people pay more for milk than for gasoline? See the story below (Yes, that's me!) for more information:

http://www.bendbulletin.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080618/NEWS0107/806180317

Happy cruising to all who can still afford to cruise (and fly)!

Bob

By the way, two of our local stores have milk advertised at either $1.99 a gallon (1%, 2%, skim & whole), or $1.00 per 1/2 gallon for the same, plus chocolate milk and orange juice.

I'm sorry, but in what world do people pay more for milk than for gasoline? See the story below (Yes, that's me!) for more information:

http://www.bendbulletin.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080618/NEWS0107/806180317

Happy cruising to all who can still afford to cruise (and fly)!

Bob

By the way, two of our local stores have milk advertised at either $1.99 a gallon (1%, 2%, skim & whole), or $1.00 per 1/2 gallon for the same, plus chocolate milk and orange juice.

Wow, milk is cheap in Oregon. Here in the Phoenix area (where I am at currently) milk is over $3/gal approaching $4. I have checked at Albertsons, Frys, Safeway, and Walmart. I stand corrected.

One more correction. Safeway has milk on sale - 2 gallons for $6. That is $3/gallon to me. And that is the sale price!

Anyone know of a good alternative to cruising for a family vacation? We were trying to think of something else where we could do so much for less or even the same price but couldn't come up with anything. Hawaii is nice and they have all inclusive deals, but airfare is crazy high. Vegas is nice, but I don't know about a week. So someone please tell me the big secret.

Jay

I love to travel anywhere and have a hobby of researching vacations (a little obsession of mine) and there really isn't a cheaper vacation for a family than a cruise, considering everything is included. I have priced out Vegas for our family of 4 and it came out to $3400.00 for everything. Our last cruise cost us $2800.00. The big secret is research, book early and be willing to cut back. We originally booked a 7 day cruise for 2009 but because of the economy changed it to a six day cruise and saved $600.00.

Archived