What can I bring back?

This may sound silly but I was wondering if there are any restrictions regarding what sort of items we can bring back to the US from Canada. Forgive me but I am used to the Caribbean cruises where fruits and such are not allowed to be taken off of the ship. I am mostly looking for answers regarding food and other perishable items as I was looking to bring fruit preserves from PEI back with me. Or, would it just be better to have the items shipped back home?

I would ask if I could put a lobster in my suitcase but I would not want to smell it after 10 nights. :rolleyes:

This may sound silly but I was wondering if there are any restrictions regarding what sort of items we can bring back to the US from Canada. Forgive me but I am used to the Caribbean cruises where fruits and such are not allowed to be taken off of the ship. I am mostly looking for answers regarding food and other perishable items as I was looking to bring fruit preserves from PEI back with me. Or, would it just be better to have the items shipped back home?

I would ask if I could put a lobster in my suitcase but I would not want to smell it after 10 nights. :rolleyes:

I live about an hour from the US border so I cross quite a bit. The US guards seem focused on citrus fruits and won't let us take them accross even though they originally came from Florida or California.

The lobster dealers in the area will pack lobster for travelling in dry ice. People take them as carry-ons on planes that way. I have never had to transport lobster so I don't know how long they will live that way. Once they die you cannot cook them as they will make you sick.

I live about an hour from the US border so I cross quite a bit. The US guards seem focused on citrus fruits and won't let us take them accross even though they originally came from Florida or California.

The lobster dealers in the area will pack lobster for travelling in dry ice. People take them as carry-ons on planes that way. I have never had to transport lobster so I don't know how long they will live that way. Once they die you cannot cook them as they will make you sick.

Thanks for the info. When I was little I used to spend summers in Maine with my parents and I remember them having lobsters shipped back to New Jersey on the day we left to go home. We cooked them the day they landed on the door step.

I couldn't imagine really trying to bring a lobster back into the US with me. Like you said, if it wasn't dead it would probably pinch a customs agent!

I am mostly looking for answers regarding food and other perishable items as I was looking to bring fruit preserves from PEI back with me. Or, would it just be better to have the items shipped back home?

Perishables are not permitted, nor would they be permitted by shipping. It's the fruit, veggies, meat, and plant products they don't want coming into the country by any means (in person or by shipping), right? You say preserves, are we talking a jar of jam, basically? I don't think that's considered a perishable item until it's opened, really.

Perishables are not permitted, nor would they be permitted by shipping. It's the fruit, veggies, meat, and plant products they don't want coming into the country by any means (in person or by shipping), right? You say preserves, are we talking a jar of jam, basically? I don't think that's considered a perishable item until it's opened, really.

You are correct. I never thought of it like that. Thanks for clarifying it for me. I knew I just needed someone else to say it for it to finally make sense! :)

You can bring back all the bottled preserves you want from PEI, maple syrup too. Though if you're going to be flying home from your cruise, those things will have to be packed in your checked bag and may cause it to be heavier then allowed. So if you are flying home, and are planning on bringing any great amount home, you might want to consider having it shipped. Otherwise, go for it. There are plenty of great preserve companies here, I especialy like the Cackleberry Farms berry and/or rhubarb syrups,they are excellent on ice cream!

Archived