Buying Medicine in Mexico, Can I???

funat55

For starters, if we take away the profit margin from doctors and pharmaceutical companies, they will not bother to develop new medications. The progress of medicine for ALL of us depends upon these BUSINESSES turning a profit. However, before that comes to pass, companies will make up their lost revenues by charging even more to those who will pay (either individually or through their insurance). This will make it more expensive for companies to offer insurance to their employees or to even stay in business if they do. That could then lead to people losing their insurance if not their jobs... Economic factors are all interconnected, and somebody ALWAYS has to pay...

Also, I find it very interesting that somebody who can't pay for health insurance or medications can afford to cruise. If money is so tight that this is a critical issue, then I wonder why they wouldn't want to save their cruise money to get some much-needed health insurance, instead...

What some people have to pay for health insurance per month is more

than two cruises (especially those with no airfare) and that does not

include perscriptions.

I have insurance but if my child needed meds and I could not afford them

here, I would not hesitate to purchase those meds in Canada or Mexico.

For starters, if we take away the profit margin from doctors and pharmaceutical companies, they will not bother to develop new medications. The progress of medicine for ALL of us depends upon these BUSINESSES turning a profit. However, before that comes to pass, companies will make up their lost revenues by charging even more to those who will pay (either individually or through their insurance). This will make it more expensive for companies to offer insurance to their employees or to even stay in business if they do. That could then lead to people losing their insurance if not their jobs... Economic factors are all interconnected, and somebody ALWAYS has to pay...

Also, I find it very interesting that somebody who can't pay for health insurance or medications can afford to cruise. If money is so tight that this is a critical issue, then I wonder why they wouldn't want to save their cruise money to get some much-needed health insurance, instead...

I really do not think it is any of your business why anyone would get their medications from Mexico or not. You do not have to take a cruise to go to Mexico. Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California are a board away. They are legal and they are cheap. The can make a difference.

Your analogy is about as far fetched as they come as to why nobody should get their medications from Mexico. Apparently you are not elderly and have to decide what they can buy, food or medications. Apparently you are not in a situation as head of a family and because of the jobs you and your wife have you do not have insurance. There are millions of people that live here in the US that do not have insurance and for you to infer that you know just how they can have it is deplorable. Until you are in someone else's' shoes you may want to keep those opinions to your self.

It can cost upwards of $1000 a month to insure a family(and these are often not comparable to the policies we obtain from our employers), that doesn't include co-pays, deductibles, and out of pocket prescription costs. After paying all of this the insurance company can still deny treatment to you if they please. Insurance companies are just big corporations out to make as much money as possible and if it means that denying treatment improves their bottom line, they will do just that.

There is no good reason that we pay so much more for prescription drugs here in America, it is just that the drug companies own important people in Washington, this is wrong, very very wrong.

MAC

I really do not think it is any of your business why anyone would get their medications from Mexico or not. You do not have to take a cruise to go to Mexico. Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California are a board away. They are legal and they are cheap. The can make a difference.

Your analogy is about as far fetched as they come as to why nobody should get their medications from Mexico. Apparently you are not elderly and have to decide what they can buy, food or medications. Apparently you are not in a situation as head of a family and because of the jobs you and your wife have you do not have insurance. There are millions of people that live here in the US that do not have insurance and for you to infer that you know just how they can have it is deplorable. Until you are in someone else's' shoes you may want to keep those opinions to your self.

Once again, the below ONLY applies if we are talking about meds that would be illegal to import. If it is legal, I have NO PROBLEM with folks getting it any way they can or as cheaply as they can...

As for procuring them and transporting them illegally or failing to declare them at customs, I'm sorry but I believe that is wrong and I don't think it makes any difference if you are elderly or needy. Part of being a member of society means abiding by the laws of that society. I don't believe that we get to pick and choose which laws we like and only follow those. If you don't like a law, use your power as a citizen to try to change it! Have those of you who jaunt over to Mexico to pick up meds so much as called your Congressmen to advocate for lifting restrictions on importing meds?

If it is literally a matter of life or death, then I certainly believe it's okay to break the law. In 99.9% of the cases we are discussing, though, I doubt that it is a matter of life or death. There is some other area where the people can cut corners in order to afford to pay for their medications OR they can get them through another avenue (a "free clinic", a foundation, social services, etc.).

Otherwise, we are simply talking about people who want to have it all and who pout and cry when they don't get it. I want it all, too. I'm just not willing to break the law to have it.

It can cost upwards of $1000 a month to insure a family(and these are often not comparable to the policies we obtain from our employers), that doesn't include co-pays, deductibles, and out of pocket prescription costs. After paying all of this the insurance company can still deny treatment to you if they please. Insurance companies are just big corporations out to make as much money as possible and if it means that denying treatment improves their bottom line, they will do just that.

I agree. And that is all the more reason why people's TOP PRIORITY should be making sure to save money so that they can pay for medical care if they require it. No "luxury" purchase (New cars, electronics, travel, etc.) should come before having some money put aside for a rainy day. Since this is a cruise web site and we all spend money on travel, I would hope that means we also have some money stashed away for health care should we need it...

There is no good reason that we pay so much more for prescription drugs here in America, it is just that the drug companies own important people in Washington, this is wrong, very very wrong.

MAC

I don't know much about the economics of it, but I'll assume you're right. Shouldn't our next step to be to vote those people in Washington out of office and get some new ones who will actually address the needs of the people? I couldn't agree more that there is a problem. I just don't agree about the solution.

I agree. And that is all the more reason why people's TOP PRIORITY should be making sure to save money so that they can pay for medical care if they require it. No "luxury" purchase (New cars, electronics, travel, etc.) should come before having some money put aside for a rainy day. Since this is a cruise web site and we all spend money on travel, I would hope that means we also have some money stashed away for health care should we need it...

I don't know much about the economics of it, but I'll assume you're right. Shouldn't our next step to be to vote those people in Washington out of office and get some new ones who will actually address the needs of the people? I couldn't agree more that there is a problem. I just don't agree about the solution.

I do agree that health should be a top priority, but as you know it is often something that people ignore. I can easily afford $1500 per year for a vacation, but $12,000 a year would be something that I couldn't afford on my salary, but I am lucky that I have an employer that provides great coverage for a little less than $70 a month.

Just because I can afford $1500 a year for a cruise doesn't mean that cutting that out would allow me to afford $1000 a month.

Many people could really look at their lifestyles and figure out a way to pay for health care of some sort, but many are caught up in a lifestyle and would be unwilling to give up the fun stuff. I myself would find it hard to give up vacations, but even with my meager salary I am able to afford it by driving a paid off car until it dies, shopping very thrifty etc.... I almost didn't get a vacation this year because I need a lot of dental work done, but i worked out a way to get both without going into debt, if not, I'm afraid that the cruise would have to be cancelled.

I will not lecture anyone who decides to buy drugs in Mexico, it isn't any of my business, I am leary of it, because it is not hard to create counterfeit drugs and packaging, and I have no way of knowing if the drug store is reputable. I will be traveling with a Pharmacist friend of mine, maybe I'll take him into a drug store and make a few purchases with his OK, but I would not feel good about flying blind.

MAC

Most (all?) self-righteous hypocrites I meet occasionally speed, roll through stop signs, fudge a little on taxes, etc. etc.

Everyone breaks a law now an then - especially law enforcement personnel.

That's not true.

Wow-people do get all worked up over this topic.

Just for the record-I myself have health coverage -thank goodness for the VA and thankfully because my husband served in Viet nam and has VA coverage. Our meds are covered.

My son that I get the Advair for is self emloyed and barely making ends meet in todays economy. Times are very hard for him as his wife recently took her life due to medical issues she had.

So if my cruise that I take 1x a year to Mexico can help him for a year then I will continue. I am not a drug dealer, drug user.

I would rather spend $32 x3 on the very same drug we get here-unopened, not tampered with same company ,in English etc. Than give Walmart $187 x3.

Yes-something needs to be done in the US on healthcare..drug companies have a powerful lobby and i don't think alot of people will live long enough to see the changes if any get made. Sad indeed

So live life, be happy and don't hate :)

After buying meds for many years in Mexico, belize, etc, I would like to know where this person found 7000 of anything to buy. He must have gotten up very early in the morning. I find that the choices are very limited on most items.

I don’t know when was your last visit to Belize, but we were there in May and I went into 3 drug stores in port and they would sell you unlimited amounts of diazepam and anything else you wanted. I even asked them how much could they sell and they asked me how much I wanted.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived