Gem review Part 1

missty1405

Just so you know.... I am long winded!! So proceed with caution!

We have been planing this cruise for just over a year for our 25th anniversary. We also invited Matt's family who we love to go on vacation with. His parents and his sister and her husband came along. We have been on a few cruises with them as well as other vacations. And always have a great time together.

We left LAX on Thursday May 22nd. It was a night flight so we arrived in Barcelona on Friday night at around 8:00 pm. Exhausted. We thought we would take the train to the Los Ramblas area where our hotel was. Well, that was trip!! I think we ended up taking planes, trains and automobiles to get to our hotel! Matt's sister and BIL flew with us, Matt's parents were flying from South Carolina, so we met them at the hotel. Speaking of Hotels..... We won't be staying at the Hotel Continental Barcelona ever again. I like a nice hotel, and this was not nice, it was Motel 6 standards... or worse. Thank goodness we were only staying two nights, or we would of had to find another hotel. We got to the hotel around 9:00 pm exhausted and needing a shower. Our room - someone left a surprise in our toilet - gross! Then There was a liquid soap dispenser at the sink - empty. Checked the shower dispenser - empty. Grrr. So Matt ran down to the front desk, the guy didn't know where to get soap or what to do. So, a rinse off shower with no soap till morning. (I was going to bring soap, then decided against it.)

Saturday and Sunday we were up early and ready to see Barcelona. We decided to get the two day Hop on- Hop off bus pass. Very nice to use and see all the top attractions. Park Guell, La Sagrada Família, National Museum of Art Catalunya ,Picasso Museum, Tapa bars, Eating Paella, roaming Los Ramblas. All the while rainy off and on. Barcelona has had a horrible drought this year, and it decided to start the much needed rain when we arrived. But it didn't stop us, we got out the umbrellas, and did everything we wanted.

Sunday May 25th, we decided since it was raining pretty good, we would go get on the ship earlier than what we planned. So, by noon, we were on the Beautiful Norwegian Gem! We waited in line for all of maybe 15 minutes to check in. Very fast and efficient. I need to back up and mention that the day before we left we were offered an up sale. We already had one up sale from a balcony to a mini- suite. That we grabbed. Now on to a bigger suite... but for a price of $1100.00 more. I counter offered $500.00 and the guy said he would get back to me. For such a port heavy cruise, I really knew we would not be in our cabin to fully enjoy a huge suite. And I would rather use that for spending money!! (A girl has to buy a leather purse or three!) He never got back to me before we left.... But I did have an email when I got home that he accepted my offer. Oh well, maybe next time.

I have heard/ read some bad reviews about NCL, and was a bit worried. But, I can tell you this was the best cruise we have ever had. I loved this new ship, so modern decorated and clean. And I am in love with the "freestyle" cruising! It was great to get on the ship from a long day starved and go right away to eat.... or just the opposite, waiting till later to eat. We never had a problem getting a table when and where we wanted to eat. And no cattle hearding we have felt on other ships.

So, lets talk about the food! NCL has done a huge upgrade on all the ships with bedding, food, etc. The food was very good! The two main dining rooms were pretty similar quality as other cruise lines, or better. The specialty restaurants - were awesome!! We ate at Cagneys, La Bistro, Asian Fusion, and the Teppinyaki. Cagneys and La Bistro were incredible!! Cagneys we had the most tender steak, and yummy side dishes and desserts. La Bistro we had the Lobster tail with a few sides and shared the chocolate fondue. Yum! This was just Matt and I for dinner at La Bistro, it was our "anniversary dinner" And very nice. And speaking of Lobster, NCL has Lobster served someway, somehow every night in at least one of the restaurants. We had lobster tails two nights, and lobster bisque soup on another night - so yummy!!

The buffet was very good, for a buffet. They had many "action stations" food made to order as you stood there, not food piled high and getting old and cold. We had breakfast there most of the time as it was fast and easy and we could get done and off the ship to start the day. Breakfast had everything you could think off - omelets made to order, pancakes, waffles, eggs benedict, breakfast meats, fruit, pastries, my favorite - the yogurt station, fresh yogurt then they added the fruits or granola for you and mixed it up and gave it to you, yum!! The only problem with the buffet was the people who didn't think that lines were for them. Lots of butting in, etc. Especially around the drink stations. Oh well, it didn't bother me enough to stress about it.

Did I mention the ship was beautiful!! The staff was very helpful and friendly. And there wasn't a moment that went by that we didn't see someone cleaning something - a very immaculate ship.

I am copying my review from my review I am posting on my blog. Which also includes pictures. So if you want to read it there it is misstysmisc dot blogspot dot com If not stay tuned and I will post more tomorrow.

missty

Misty

Glad your Gem trip was great, we were on the May 11 Barcelona Gem itinerary.

About that rain in Barcelona, when we arrived on May 9 it was drizzling, by later that afternoon it was pouring, by night it was blowing wind and rain sideways, very hard stinging rain. All day the next day same thing, we too toughed it out in the rain, and wind which totally destroyed our umbrellas. Sunday when we boarded the sun was out and we did get to enjoy walking the Gaudi area getting so great pictures of the Gaudi House.

They must have started the lobster everynight after we were on board, because it was not available that week. I don't think that they had completed the 2.0 menus on our week. But, the food was good, I never went hungry.

We were so tired after each day in port that I am not sure I would have been upset with any of the food. Just wanted to shower,eat and get some sleep so we could be up and going at 6am the next day.

I needed a vacation when I came home from those wonderfully exhausting tours we did. But, I loved our vacation and would go again that is if I can ever afford to again. Airfare will most likely be the big draw back!

Cindy

Hi Misty...thanks for all the great info on your blog! We leave on Friday for the same cruise and I noticed you used AP tours for Naples. that is who we are using! Glad you had good things to say about them! Looks like you didn't have great weather.

Angie

All day the next day same thing, we too toughed it out in the rain, and wind which totally destroyed our umbrellas.

LOL. Yep, we have a picture with my husband holding an inside out umbrella!

Hi Misty...thanks for all the great info on your blog! We leave on Friday for the same cruise and I noticed you used AP tours for Naples. that is who we are using! Glad you had good things to say about them! Looks like you didn't have great weather.

Angie

We loved AP tours! They were great!! Tell them Missty and all 6 of us said hello... that is if you have Alberto for your guide. The weather was really a mixture. Rain, then stifling Heat in Naples, half rain/half sunny then perfect in Nice. lol Didn't matter we had a wonderful cruise!! And for Naples/Amafli coast take some dramimine if you "might" get car sick!

missty

We LOVED your review and your photos on your blog of your trip were amazing. I just can't wait for our turn on the Gem later this month. I can't find the dailies on cruisecritic or on your blog - am I going crazy? If I am overlooking them please let me know as I look forward to checking them out too! Thank you for your hard work and expertise. You're reviews have been a big help.

Archived