Saint John vs St John's

I've been reading some of the threads here and have noticed there is often confusion between these 2 equally wonderful Canadian cities.

When doing your research for ports of call, check your itinerary and make sure you are researching the proper place.

Saint John (S-a-i-n-t spelled in full) is situated on the Bay of Fundy in the province of New Brunswick.

St. John's (St. is abbreviated and John's has the apostrophe 's) is Canada's most easterly city and is in the province of Newfoundland.

Cruiseships visit both these cities, and you will be guaranteed warm maritime hospitality in either.

I've been reading some of the threads here and have noticed there is often confusion between these 2 equally wonderful Canadian cities.

When doing your research for ports of call, check your itinerary and make sure you are researching the proper place.

Saint John (S-a-i-n-t spelled in full) is situated on the Bay of Fundy in the province of New Brunswick.

St. John's (St. is abbreviated and John's has the apostrophe 's) is Canada's most easterly city and is in the province of Newfoundland.

Cruiseships visit both these cities, and you will be guaranteed warm maritime hospitality in either.

This is a very important piece of advice. The stories of unwary travellers are legion. At one time I even had to email Holland America and tell them that a shore excursion they had advertised for Saint John, NB. was actually in St. John's, Newfoundland. They thanked me for correcting the confusion.

There is an ongoing issue (occassionally) of travel agents outside of Canada flying clients to Saint John, New Brunswick airport instead of the intended St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador airport. Most times the news is broken to them by taxi drivers when they ask to go to a hotel that is 1000 miles away.

There is an ongoing issue (occassionally) of travel agents outside of Canada flying clients to Saint John, New Brunswick airport instead of the intended St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador airport. Most times the news is broken to them by taxi drivers when they ask to go to a hotel that is 1000 miles away.

I once had an Air Miles appointed TA in TO book me from St. John's to Edmonton instead of Saint John to Edmonton. When I called about the mistake, they told me that flights couldn't be changed once they were made. After some "discussion" Air Miles agreed to absorb the costs and make the changes. Then there was the matter of the cancellation policy. He told me I would have to take out a new one because once a policy was issued----------Another "discussion" and Air Miles absorbed the cost of the new insurance policy. I don't think they made much money off of that flight. One really has to be vigilant when dealing with agents outside of the Maritime Provinces when it comes to either of these cities. That applies to 1-800 numbers also as you are probably talking to someone in Bombay.

I usually confirm the 3 letter airport code when booking air travel. It is easy to confuse Saint John and St. John's especially over the phone, not so easy to confuse YYT with YSJ. It is a simple process to find the correct airport code of your destination and ensure you're going to the right place.

• 2 weeks later...
I usually confirm the 3 letter airport code when booking air travel. It is easy to confuse Saint John and St. John's especially over the phone, not so easy to confuse YYT with YSJ. It is a simple process to find the correct airport code of your destination and ensure you're going to the right place.

Like ANK vs ANC. The huge price made me look twice and correct my request to Anchorage (ANC), not Turkey!

Archived