Coast Guard Rescue on Vision

Just back from the June 1, 2008 Vision of the Seas sailing to the Mexican Riviera. Had a fantastic time, minus the cold and windy weather for the two sea days back. Thought I would share a little bit of the dramatic events that unfolded onboard yesterday afternoon.

An early afternoon announcement was made by the captain stating that the upper decks would be closed for a medical evacuation by the US Coast Guard. He requested that everyone ramain inside their cabins or below decks 8,9,and 10 and that if we were going to be taking pictures of the helicopter to please turn the flash off as it distracts the pilots. Naturally, everyone was waiting on the lower decks (out by the muster stations) and on their balconies to watch the rescue in action.

It wasn't until three or maybe four hours later that the helicopter actually arrived but when it did- WOW! It was an amazing thing to experience. The helicopter pulled up right alongside the moving ship and was accopmanied by a seaplane for extra security. The basket was lowered and the passenger was airlifted off of one of the upper decks and into the helicopter and away they went. It was the most amazing thing to watch. I think everyone onboard now has a newfound respect for the Coast Guard as they really do risk their lives in windy, dangerous weather to help save the lives of others. Everything was executed with such precision... the Disney ship backed off to give them extra room to work... the seaplane circled the ship for added security... the helicopter backed off once the basked was dropped to allow the crew to take care of the patient with the noise and wind from above... Flawless!

Once the helicopter had evacuated the patient, the captain came on the speaker again and announced the the mission had been successful and that the cause for the delay in their arrival was because they were in the process of completing another search and rescue when they got the call from the Vision. As a result, they had another injured passenger in the helicopter with them while they were airlifting someone from the Vision.

Staff and Crew would not release any details as to what had happened- said it was "patient confidentaility." Only two stories seemed to be making their way around the ship as to what happened. Some say it was a heart attack, but the consensus seems to be that a woman who was 6 months pregnant went into early labor. Either way, our thoughts and prayers are with this person and their family. It must have been a very scary time for both the family and patient but our hopes are that everything turned out alright.

God Bless!!

Caramel1398

Thanks for sharing. While on the Enchantment last Thanksgiving, we had not one, but two rescues by the Coast Guard. I used to think it was a rare event on a cruise, but I believe it happens quite a bit. I, too, have a much greater respect for the Coast Guard and the work that they do. I guess when you witness it first hand, it makes you think and appreciate it a lot more.

I hope you had a great cruise and hopefully the person who was rescued is doing okay.

Chris

It occurs more than you think. Out of the five cruise that I have been on... three people were airlifted. It is nice that the larger cruise ships have included a helipad :)

I am too proud of the coast guard & currently have the pleasure of flying with many of them who have retired :D One of them used to be a rescue swimmer! If we ever had to make a unplanned landing into the water... He is mine! :p

We saw a Coast Guard evacuation on our first cruise which was on the Rhapsody, and we were allowed to watch from the Viking Crown Lounge. It was an amazing to watch the precision.

We were also told that it was a heart attack victim and told several days later that he was recovering well and would be okay. Obvisously, the individual and family members allowed this portion of the medical information to be released to all the passengers.

i have never gotten to see a air evac in person, but my parents had one on one of their past cruises and videotaped it. the reason for evac is probably the heart attack. RCCL's policy states anyone in or that will enter their 24th week of pregnancy may NOT cruise. if the pregnant person was 6 months along, that is roughly 24 weeks, so chances are not that one.

greg

We were on the Vision 5/11 and not 3 or 4 hours out when we were notified of an evacuation. I've been cruising for years and never had it happen before, and now so many in a row. Thank goodness that our Coast Guard is so great. I'm sure that goes for all rescue crews.

We were on the Splendour in March of 2007 and witnessed a evacuation by the Coast Guard also. It is amazing to see them do that in action.

My DH is a Flight Paramedic here at home and flies everyday on a helicopter in fact one of his fellow Paramedics he works with is a retired rescue swimmer from the Coast Guard.

It just takes special people all the way around to do that kind of work. :-)

I also have a new respect for the US Coast Guard!!! I was aboard this ship on the same week just got home 2 hours ago. I witnessed this helicopter rescue from my balcony on Deck 8 and it was right above our cabin. I captured some excellent pics and even short videos. I do not know exactly what the emergency was but also wish the passenger and family my best and hope that all is well! I heard the same stories as well as one other - A passenger was out of control and was disembarked due to behavior?? Who really knows. I am glad it went well but they did make 2 basket drops - I saw them both. I thought once the first one took off it was over but a second basket and rescue was done. I think the captain was hoping that all would think it was another passenger from another ship. Glad to be back home in GA!

Just to add a little something on the whole pregnancy point.

I've just come back from a cruise on Navigator, and I was 21 weeks pregnant. At no point in the booking or embarkation, or even onboard, was I asked how many weeks along I was; so saying that a woman was 24 weeks and so that couldn't be it, doesn't really count.

The woman in question (if in fact, this is the case) could have been just short of the 24 weeks, or could have not read the small print about the cruise-pregnancy time limit or just not told anyone how far along she was.

The 24 week rule really does rely heavily on passenger-honesty! :(

Also, If it turns out to be the case that she went into labour at 6 weeks, I really do pray that everything is alright as it's way to early to be in labour, and the baby's chances of survival are very low that early on, especially without high levels of medical assistance. It really does make me hope that there is some other explanation for the rescue!!

Lizzi xx

p.s. My baby loved the cruise. I think the rocking made it very sleepy for the week I was onboard. Now however, it's back to happily trying to kick a hole in my tummy! lol

Another rescue tale... we were on Celebrity Century April 2007. The USCG had to evacuate a crew member whom we found out had an allergic reaction (and unfortunately later succumbed). The pool deck was cleared, the helo was close enough for us to snap some pics as the basket was lowered. The seaplane was always nearby. Pretty dramatic stuff.

Here's a round of applause of our U.S. Coast Guard. Last year when we where in Cozumel we had a U.S. Coast Guard Cutter docked at the same pier we were at. I can honestly say the sight of our U.S. Flag flying high above it made my heart skip a beat.

Dozens of us literally clapped for the men standing on the deck as we walked by them.

Thanks for sharing. While on the Enchantment last Thanksgiving, we had not one, but two rescues by the Coast Guard. I used to think it was a rare event on a cruise, but I believe it happens quite a bit. I, too, have a much greater respect for the Coast Guard and the work that they do. I guess when you witness it first hand, it makes you think and appreciate it a lot more.

I hope you had a great cruise and hopefully the person who was rescued is doing okay.

Chris

It occurs more than you think. Out of the five cruise that I have been on... three people were airlifted. It is nice that the larger cruise ships have included a helipad :)

I am too proud of the coast guard & currently have the pleasure of flying with many of them who have retired :D One of them used to be a rescue swimmer! If we ever had to make a unplanned landing into the water... He is mine! :p

We were on the Splendour in March of 2007 and witnessed a evacuation by the Coast Guard also. It is amazing to see them do that in action.

My DH is a Flight Paramedic here at home and flies everyday on a helicopter in fact one of his fellow Paramedics he works with is a retired rescue swimmer from the Coast Guard.

It just takes special people all the way around to do that kind of work. :-)

According to a friend of our family who was in the coast guard this is not an unusual event. They get calls from all of the cruise ships all the time.:eek:

We, too, have seen a passenger evacuated; however, we were close enough to port for it to be done via tender. I am quite sure the helocopter scene is dramatic, but sad and terrifying.

We, too, have seen our wonderful coast guard boats/planes protecting us on cruise ships.

Here is my suggestion, but I am not computer savvy enough to know how to acccomplish it: Let's organzie a document of some sort which can have signatures added to be forwarded to the Coast Guard. Can someone smarter than I am please get that started? We praise them here, but most of them probably don't even know about this site, so let's figure out a way they can receive our thanks. :D

Cruzin Lady

Just another reason I swell up with pride every morning my son puts that uniform on...

PRC - a proud USCG dad.

God bless your son for his service to our country and God bless you, USCG Dad, for sharing your son for the protection of us all.

Dianne

Proud mother, wife, daughter & daughter-in-law of US soldiers

The Coast Guard does so much to keep us safe, and so much of it is where we can't even see it.

I cruised at 23 weeks, and then went into labor at 25 weeks. We were glad it hadn't happened 2 weeks earlier. I was on bedrest for the 3 months after that. My baby loved the cruise, too ... she kicked in time with the music at the shows, and slept better than she ever has in her life (she has been active and a poor sleeper since the get-go ... she's 3 now.) The motion of the ship and excitement of the shows couldn't offset teething on her other cruise. We have an aft next year, hopefully just enough motion to lull her to sleep.

Hi everyone I was on Vision just got off yesterday as well. It was truly dramatic and I agree that we all have a lot more respect for the coast guard does after witnessing this rescue, went online and this is what I found sign on San Diego reports:

Coast Guard makes two evacuations

The U.S. Coast Guard launched back-to-back medical evacuations to separate ships off the San Diego coast on Saturday.

A Coast Guard helicopter airlifted a 57-year-old man from a fishing vessel 190 miles south of San Diego. He was suffering from a serious infection to his right hand and arm.

In a second incident, a Coast Guard helicopter flew to the cruise ship Vision of the Seas, 240 miles southwest of San Diego, to evacuate a woman showing signs of premature labor. The woman, 45, is 28 weeks pregnant.

A Coast Guard flight surgeon determined both patients required immediate medical evacuation. Both patients were transferred to Scripps Hospital in La Jolla.

Posted by Mike Freeman June 7, 2008 09:45 PM

So it looks like the pregnancy story was true, ( I also heard the heartattack story). Hope all turned out well for all involved.

Archived