Vancouver Transfers & Car Seats

IUBeth92

We will soon be leaving for Vancouver to embark on our Alaskan cruise. Any ideas on what to bring for him in terms of a car seat? He has his own seat on the plane, and I wasn't planning on bringing the actual car seat for our vehicles. I know we have paid for transfers to/from airport and to the hotel and port, but I don't know whether I should bring a booster seat or not. He will be 4 in September and is close to 40#. I would greatly appreciate any positive suggestions.

Although the law in BC does change July 1 for residents requiring anyone under the age of 9 to be in a booster I do believe you would be exempt in a rental vehicle or passenger van.

When travelling with my 4 year old I elected not to take the booster and just adjusted the belts so that it was over his lap only.

Cheers,

K

We bought our 5yr old a Ride Safer Travel vest recently to travel with http://www.safetrafficsystem.com/

This exceeds govt safety standards and is safer than a booster (watch the crash test videos on their site) with the exception that a High back booster will provide side impact protection and obviously, the vest doesn't provide that. DS uses it in MIL's car and it's not as "easy" as a booster seat is but it's not that difficult and his safety is my highest priority. DS (5) rides in a Britax Regent 5pt seat in the family car but it's not airline approved and it's too big to travel with.

Another option you can consider is a folding high back booster like a Compass B510 or 530, or even a backless booster. The HBB will be the safer of these two options. HBB's provide 70% more protection compared to a backless booster or the seatbelt alone a side impact. HBB's also do a better job of keeping the seatbelt positioned on the child properly and encourages children to sit properly as well.

Please please do not put the shoulder strap behind a child, or let them ride in a lap only belt. This is truly unsafe for anyone (even adults). Just do a search on seatbelt syndrome. It's not safe, even in a low impact crash.

We did an Alaskan cruise leaving from Vancouver last summer when our youngest daughter was almost 4 and still in a car seat. We arranged for an airport limo that would provide a car seat to pick us up and transport us to our hotel on the waterfront. That eliminated the need to travel with a carseat as we knew that apart from the trip from the airport we were only going to be on boats, trains and motorcoaches.

Archived