Scuba Certification

gosaints2006

We have 2 cruises planned. We want to be certified in Scuba before the cruise in Feb.09. If we take our classroom and pool dives at home, does a 4 night cruise (Sept.08) to the Bahamas on Majesty of the Seas offer the open water dives portion if we have a referral? I know the larger ships in the West.Caribbean offer this option, but not sure about the smaller ships.

I would get the OW part out of the way at home. The way a referral works is you do four dives over multiple days, at least for PADI certification. If the ship doesn't offer diving in at least two ports and they don't send one of their instructors to certify you, you can't get it done. If you get it done before you go, you can book your own dive trips and save lots of money over the ship's excursion rates.

I rarely accept referrals unless I see the student in a pool complete all the necessary skills before we go to open water.

Dale

PADI OWSI

Do your open water first- not on your vacation. The open water dives require you to complete certain skills during each dive- it's not just "fun diving." Besides, then you'll be much more relaxed on your vacation dives.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the others, get certified before you leave for your trip. It also is a good idea if you get a few post certification dives in for experience before the trip. It helps build confidence and will add enjoyment to your scuba dives on the cruise. Experience always adds to the fun.

Majesty does not have a dive shop or staff onboard like the Voyager class ships do. You would be looking at finding shops in Nassau and Key West to do the 4 OW dives on two separate days as required. Much easier and more enjoyable to do those at home. If you can do the skills in the conditions found at many stateside lakes and quarries where people certify, you will often be a better diver for it.

http://www.cruisedivers.blogspot.com

Archived