Snorkeling at Fins and Flippers question

war_eagle99

We are planning on doing some snorkeling this summer at Fins and Flippers and I have a question for those who have done this. Do you really need flippers to snorkel there or will a mask and snorkel be fine?

Thanks

The water is quite shallow until you get to the wall, I suppose you could walk...I would only do so wearing shoes...standing up is waist deep at best on the reef and the swell can move you around quite a bit making it difficult to stand in one place...flippers are a must if you go out to where most of the fish are...on the wall...Jimmy

I would never snorkel without flippers. You never know when you might encounter currents that would wear you out without them. Another thing I never snorkel without is a vest. Just in case you get tired. I am a very good swimmer and have gotten tired several times out snorkeling.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems from reading the other fins and flippers post that you can pretty much rent everything separately. I believe the vest rentals were $8. I checked ebay and vest seem to go for about $25 so we are just going to rent them. If you are renting everything there I bet they will give you some sort of package deal.

The water is quite shallow until you get to the wall, I suppose you could walk...I would only do so wearing shoes...standing up is waist deep at best on the reef and the swell can move you around quite a bit making it difficult to stand in one place...flippers are a must if you go out to where most of the fish are...on the wall...Jimmy

Jimmy:

When you say the wall...are you talking about reef?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I personally don't like to wear fins.

At Fins and Flippers (just last week) I just rented the mask and snorkel ($5).

It was easy to get out to the wall without the fins. The wall (reef) is very high. At that point I could have used the fins to go deeper longer.

I did wear water shoes because it's shallow out to the reef and there is a lot of coral and other things you wouldn't want to be walking on.

Our favorite excursion by far.

Oh. And since this is the last port, we left our water shoes with a local family in Roatan. They were thrilled.

Archived