Summer gear for March cruise

sprite

Hi all - booked on a March 2009 cruise with 2-1/2 year old and I'm trying to get some of the summer stuff that's out now, so I won't be scrambling for it in winter. We live in Maryland so the summer clothes won't be out again until after the cruise and our port is NJ so no luck there either.

My current mission is swim shoes. He just turned 2 and he's wearing a size 8, anyone venture a guess on what size he might be 10 months from now?

Anyone have anything to add to my "get list" besides swim trunks, summer clothes, sandles and the swim shoes?

Thanks!

I'm sure you already thought of this, but . . . . .

You could wait until the end-of-season sales to pick up next March's summer clothes, and they would be at a significant savings over the current prices.

That's what I intend to do for my kids, so that they have all new clothes next year when we cruise.

Just a thought.

Also, if you wait until the end of season sales, you could buy water shoes in several sizes for the same price as one pair at the beginning of the season, that way if his feet grow more slowly or quickly than you project you will have a couple of options.

Buy a size 10, even if they are a little too big it just means your son will be able to wear them during the summer of '09.

I would definitely not wait until the end of the season to purchase water shoes or even summer sandals. Shoe sizes go so fast you may get stuck with nothing!

:)

Anyone have anything to add to my "get list" besides swim trunks, summer clothes, sandles and the swim shoes?

Thanks!

Blow up pool if you want to bring one. Floaties (I used a vest at that age) for use in resort pools if you're going to do that in port. I also bring inexpesive blow up beach ball and sand toys, which we leave behind when we're done.

Best,

Mia

My DD turned 2 last Aug and had a newly size 8 foot then. By March she was still size 8. I "bought ahead" sandals at the end of the summer and I figured with the way her foot was sprouting we'd need 10 by this summer. I was wrong. We'll probably be a 10 about December, which is not any more useful in Kansas than Maryland. I agree you should buy bigger, but only by 1 size. For sandals, open toed sandals are nice and forgiving. And for swim shoes, some come sized by range. I picked up swim shoes at Children's Place last fall (99 cents each pair) and I got some in every future size. Luckily that was half as many as you might think b/c the sizes were 7/8, 9/10, 11/12. Sounds like you need to pick up a 9/10...if you can find shoes sized that way.

I had replied but I am not sure what happend to it~

My son needs Extra Wide shoes. Our options are Stride Rite or Crocs. We found crocs work well for us. He is excited he can put them on or off by himself. They are perfect for his growing feet.

Payless usually runs the buy one get 1 1/ off sale so I buy a couple at a time.

Have a great cruise!

I think shoes are far and beyond the most difficult to predict. While, in general, a little big is better than a little small, with swim shoes, if they are big they won't stay on and therefore become useless. Have you considered waiting and ordering them on-line in Feb? Often, stores like the Gap and Gymboree do "resort" collections around the holidays, offering bathing suits, sandals, etc. Also, you could check, for example, Land's End Overstocks. Granted, this isn't a foolproof method, either, as in the end you might not be able to find them.:o

Good luck! :)

Thanks for all the great tips. I'm going to go for 9/10 and 11/12 at Target or Walmart. I figure that should cover my bases and it's only 2 pair. I was thinking about the blow up pool, I'll have to see if our ship has a baby pool.

Archived