Snorkel/Snuba Locations-Western Caribbean

My husband and I are booked on a cruise in October with the following ports of call:

Grand Turk

Grand Cayman

Costa Maya

Half Moon Cay

We've snorkeled a handful of times, love it, but think we would now like to try snuba. It's available on 2 of our stops - Costa Maya and Grand Turk.

Our questions:

1. Would someone who's snuba'd before tell us how this experience compares with snorkeling?

2. I think all our stops offer snorkeling, either from shore or via an excursion. Even Half Moon Cay (the cruise line's private island) rents gear for snorkeling from shore. Assuming we'll mosly like snuba one place and snorkel another, would you advise shore or excursion snorkeling, and at which port(s).

3. What can we expect to see while snorkeling here? We've snorkeled before in the Eastern Caribbean, and foolishly were expecting the same beautiful "tropical" fish (don't know what we were thinking) when we snorkeled in Bermuda last October. Needless to say, we were very disappointed.

4. I seem to be reading a lot about sting rays while researching the topic of snorkeling in the Western Caribbean. Is it a given that we'll see these? I'm not wild about that, but am open to learn why I shouldn't be afraid of them.

I know, lots of questions. Can you tell I'm excited - and I'm REALLY glad to have found this forum - a place to obtain objective, unbiased information.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

My husband and I are booked on a cruise in October with the following ports of call:

Grand Turk

Grand Cayman

Costa Maya

Half Moon Cay

We've snorkeled a handful of times, love it, but think we would now like to try snuba. It's available on 2 of our stops - Costa Maya and Grand Turk.

Our questions:

1. Would someone who's snuba'd before tell us how this experience compares with snorkeling?

2. I think all our stops offer snorkeling, either from shore or via an excursion. Even Half Moon Cay (the cruise line's private island) rents gear for snorkeling from shore. Assuming we'll mosly like snuba one place and snorkel another, would you advise shore or excursion snorkeling, and at which port(s).

3. What can we expect to see while snorkeling here? We've snorkeled before in the Eastern Caribbean, and foolishly were expecting the same beautiful "tropical" fish (don't know what we were thinking) when we snorkeled in Bermuda last October. Needless to say, we were very disappointed.

4. I seem to be reading a lot about sting rays while researching the topic of snorkeling in the Western Caribbean. Is it a given that we'll see these? I'm not wild about that, but am open to learn why I shouldn't be afraid of them.

I know, lots of questions. Can you tell I'm excited - and I'm REALLY glad to have found this forum - a place to obtain objective, unbiased information.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Ok,

I'll give it the first shot... :p

Snuba is more similar to scuba. You are hooked to what they call a "hooka" hose that allows you, and 3 of your closest friends to dive down to about 25ft. all attached to the same tank of air floating at the surface. You will wear a life vest and weight belt to keep you neutral in the water (no bobbing to the surface or sinking into the depths). You will swim with a mask and fins similar to snorkeling but you'll be tethered underwater but able to have limited freedom to "get down with the fishes". It's a good time. :)

You can snorkel at all your stops and the usual recommendations are:

Grand Turk - you can snorkel at the cruise center on your own at the beach (to the right as you face the dock) or use an independent (I like Blue water divers if you have a couple people who want to snorkel)

Grand Cayman - go right off the tender docks and walk around the corner to Eden Rock and snorkel there on your own (less than a 5 min walk from the tender dock)

Costa Maya - No snorkeling to speak of at the cruise center, taking the ship's excursion is probably easiest

Half Moon Cay - Snorkeling at the beach sucks. All sand. If you want some "nice" snorkeling, nothing spectacular, take the boat excursion. It leaves from the tender area and goes around the side of the island. I've done it several times and had a good time but nothing like the other islands above.

It varies what you will see. I understand your disappointment with Bermuda (dove there several times). But remember the reefs have pretty much been fished out on that island and only recently has protections been put in place to protect them.

Grand Turk will be the most prestine, Cayman will be good, Costa Maya ok and just "nice" at the private island.

There will be a lot of "nusance fish" sargeant majors, blue tangs, butterflyfish, an occasional baracuda and a stingray once in awhile. Depending on whether the site is frequented a lot by snorkelers will determine how well the fish life is (many beginner snorkelers really tear up a reef due to unknowingly stepping on the coral and not practicing good conservation skills).

You might see a ray, if you're lucky. If you even get close to one you'll be even luckier. Snorkeling usually puts you out of reach of touching one (unless you do something like "stingray city" in GC). But dispite what you may read, they're generally harmless, my wife has had the chance to interact with them in GC and calls them the "puppies of the sea" and she doesn't even like being in the water with fish. :D But they are wild animals but like most, if you leave them alone, they'll leave you alone. Don't do a Steve Irwin mistake and try grabbing them (this applies to any fish or creature you see in the ocean, take pictures, smile at them, then move on). I'm sure you'll have a great time snuba/snorkeling and wish you fine weather for both.

Randall

Thanks Randall for the input. Over the past couple of days I've been poking around other links on cruise critic and am finding lots of info.

But of course more questions - re the snuba - 4 people hooked to one tank. How long does that air last? I know the snuba excursions mentioned you snuba for "a while" and then are free to snorkel the rest of the time. We're wondering how much snuba time we'll have.

I think based on the info I've gathered the past few days and what you've advised, I think we're going to do just what you suggested. Do the beach snorkel @ GT and GC (and maybe HMC) and the snuba on CM. I think we've also decided to invest in our own mask/snorkel equipment this time. Since we'll be doing this @ every port, we'll get our $$s worth.

I'm finding that CM may not be up and running by October - being rebuit from the hurricanes?

Also, what's this I read about sea lice? Is this common and something we need to be concerned with?

You mentioned the nuisance fish and the possibility of seeing a ray, but confirming there are the pretty, brightly-colored tropical fish on the Western side, correct? We've only been on the Eastern side before. Don't want to be disappointed like we were in Bermuda.

Thanks.

Thanks Randall for the input. Over the past couple of days I've been poking around other links on cruise critic and am finding lots of info.

But of course more questions - re the snuba - 4 people hooked to one tank. How long does that air last? I know the snuba excursions mentioned you snuba for "a while" and then are free to snorkel the rest of the time. We're wondering how much snuba time we'll have.

I think based on the info I've gathered the past few days and what you've advised, I think we're going to do just what you suggested. Do the beach snorkel @ GT and GC (and maybe HMC) and the snuba on CM. I think we've also decided to invest in our own mask/snorkel equipment this time. Since we'll be doing this @ every port, we'll get our $$s worth.

I'm finding that CM may not be up and running by October - being rebuit from the hurricanes?

Also, what's this I read about sea lice? Is this common and something we need to be concerned with?

You mentioned the nuisance fish and the possibility of seeing a ray, but confirming there are the pretty, brightly-colored tropical fish on the Western side, correct? We've only been on the Eastern side before. Don't want to be disappointed like we were in Bermuda.

Thanks.

Hi,

If you have questions about how "friendly" you have to be with your fellow snuba'ers, go to www.snuba.com and check out the videos and pictures to give you more of an ideal of what the experience is like. Also you'll notice the tank is big enough for 4, about 30-40 minutes if everyone's relaxed in the water.

As far as sea lice, really not a problem during the day snorkeling. I dive at night and they can be a nusance as they gather towards your dive light but even then not a big problem.

The fish you will see on a western caribbean trip will be pretty much the same as an eastern caribbean trip. The fish populations don't vary much. So yes, you'll see pretty fish. :) If you want to see some of the fish you may see, you can always go to my website and check out some of the fish/creatures I've seen in the water (be aware I scuba dive so some fish just aren't seen unless you're down with them) www.randallgamby.com.

Sounds like you have a good plan on snorkeling. Send off another note if you have more questions and enjoy your time underwater.

Randall

Archived