First On Celebrity

Len3

We just booked the Summit for a Trans-Atlantic. Question for past cruisers - do we really have to bring all of those clothes? It seems that with the new airline restrictions, X should give us a break.

We have done 4 Celebrity transatlantics and have found that the transatlantics to be the dressiest for dinners. I think because of all the sea days, people have a chance to relax and dress at their leisure instead of rushing from port and frantically get ready for dinner.

Celebrity does have a high rate of dress code observance and there have been instances where those not dressed according to the code have been denied entrance to the dining room or shows. The enforcement is sporadic - I personally think that they crack down more when there are flagrant violations.

There is alternative casual dining available - there is no dinner buffet, but there is an alternative casual restaurant in the buffet area with table service - reservations requested. Also, the dining room menu is available from room service during the normal dining room hours. The buffet area also has sushi, pizza, pasta, and salad available all evening and the burger area is open until about 8 pm. There is also an area by the Aqua Spa which has healthy alternatives and is open until about 7 or 8.

If you want to dine in the specialty restaurant, the dress code of the evening applies, but even on casual nights, I noticed that most dressed informally.

My Transatlantic on Celebrity was by far the dressiest of any cruise I have done. Nearly everbody abided by the dress code. On formal nights it was about 50% of men in tuxes and 50% in dark suits with only a small handful of exceptions. If you are worred about baggage situation, you can rent a tux on board. Also shop around different airlines; some have far less fees than others (i.e. American is the worst) and often restrictions are less on international flights.

Remember you are allowed to wear your dress more then once....

Another solution buy a nice long skirt, wear it with different tops.

And on transatlantic flights you are still allowed to bring 2 suitcases p.p. each of 23 kgs...

What is the norm for all of the dress codes that X has in place? We certainly don't want to make a mistake on our first cruise with Celebrity.

Click on the attached thumbnail that was scanned from the Celebrity daily onboard for the dress codes.

1397957520_dress20codes.jpg.390e84290e7ead9af904976f2ac3078a.jpg

I really appreciate all of the assistance from you great CCer's. Can anyone tell me how many nights are within each dress code on a 12 night

trans-atlantic? The first 4 nights are at sea.

Click on the attached thumbnail that was scanned from the Celebrity daily onboard for the dress codes.

Thanks for that link, hajekfam. Last week (I think it was then), there was a discussion as to whether or not jeans were permitted in the dining room at breakfast or lunch. The consensus was that jeans were allowed during the day, just not at dinner. According to what you just posted, though, jeans, t-shirts, tanktops, swimsuites, robes, and bare feet are not permitted in the dining room AT ANY TIME.

Thanks for that link, hajekfam. Last week (I think it was then), there was a discussion as to whether or not jeans were permitted in the dining room at breakfast or lunch. The consensus was that jeans were allowed during the day, just not at dinner. According to what you just posted, though, jeans, t-shirts, tanktops, swimsuites, robes, and bare feet are not permitted in the dining room AT ANY TIME.

They usually allow jeans in the dining room for breakfast and lunch - never really noticed them in warmer climate cruises but they were definitely there for Alaska - especially early in the season when the weather was cooler.

I will not bring them on any cruise now - jeans are heavy and 1 pair weighs more than 2 pairs of docker type pants and with the airline cracking down on luggage allowances no reason to weight down my luggage with jeans.

DH and I leave for Alaska on Friday.

The one time DH and I ate in a Celebrity Specialty restaurant was in Nov. 2003. Dining was formal then, which went perfect with the Atmosphere. I have read that it is now whatever the dress code of the evening is, which is a bit disappointing. I just can't see going into such an elegant dining room in casual clothes.

We still want to dress up. We know the formal nights are in the main dining room are night 2 and 6 on a 7 night cruise. We don't like to miss those so we booked the specialty restaurant on night 5 of our 7 night cruise. If we are right and it is a casual or informal night DH said he will dress informal (although he had planned on wearing a dark suit), and I bought 3 formal outfits before I knew of the dress code change (1 just above the ankle dress, and black slacks with 2 elegant tops) and I was wondering if I will look out of place dressing up?

So, if its casual or informal, should I dress formal or dress down a little and go informal?

Has anyone dined in the specialty restaurants on casual or informal nights? What were most of the diners wearing? :confused:

Also, DS and his girlfriend will be dining with us and she still plans on dressing up. (her dresses are just above the knee.)

We did the 12-night TA this past spring. DH carried one tux with two shirts, one jacket, a couple of dress shirts and ties, and three pairs of khakis/dress pants. I carried a pair of dress tuxedo slacks and several tops for informal evenings, plus three dresses for formal (they all crunch down well in the garment bag). Day wear was worn over and over again, and I sent out items for cleaning twice. We cut way back on shoes - I took one pair of dress shoes that went went all of the dresses and the dress pants. DH also took only one pair of dress shoes.

We didn't feel weighed down at all, and we only checked two bags for 12-nights. The garment bag & my tote were carried on. It's absolutely possible to follow the dress codes (3 formal, 3 informal, 6 casual) and not carry too much luggage. You just have to be prepared to wear things more than once (or more), and take advantage of the laundry and dry cleaning services.

We did the 12-night TA this past spring. DH carried one tux with two shirts, one jacket, a couple of dress shirts and ties, and three pairs of khakis/dress pants. I carried a pair of dress tuxedo slacks and several tops for informal evenings, plus three dresses for formal (they all crunch down well in the garment bag). Day wear was worn over and over again, and I sent out items for cleaning twice. We cut way back on shoes - I took one pair of dress shoes that went went all of the dresses and the dress pants. DH also took only one pair of dress shoes.

We didn't feel weighed down at all, and we only checked two bags for 12-nights. The garment bag & my tote were carried on. It's absolutely possible to follow the dress codes (3 formal, 3 informal, 6 casual) and not carry too much luggage. You just have to be prepared to wear things more than once (or more), and take advantage of the laundry and dry cleaning services.

You're a gem - that really helps. Maybe we can actually do this!!:D

We still want to dress up. We know the formal nights are in the main dining room are night 2 and 6 on a 7 night cruise. We don't like to miss those so we booked the specialty restaurant on night 5 of our 7 night cruise. If we are right and it is a casual or informal night DH said he will dress informal (although he had planned on wearing a dark suit), and I bought 3 formal outfits before I knew of the dress code change (1 just above the ankle dress, and black slacks with 2 elegant tops) and I was wondering if I will look out of place dressing up?

So, if its casual or informal, should I dress formal or dress down a little and go informal?

Has anyone dined in the specialty restaurants on casual or informal nights? What were most of the diners wearing? :confused:

Also, DS and his girlfriend will be dining with us and she still plans on dressing up. (her dresses are just above the knee.)

We have been on several 7 night cruises and night 2 and 6 are not always the formal nights. Once nights 3 and 6 were formal and once nights 2 and 5 were formal - it depends on the itinerary and the arrangement of port times and sea days.

I have dined in the specialty restaurant on both informal and casual nights our last cruise (after the dress code of the day was adopted for the specialty restaurant - it used to be a minimum of informal on informal and casual nights and formal on formal nights). I really never saw anyone dressed casually. Hubby wore a suit and I wore a cocktail dress. On an informal night, I wore an ankle length gown - one that would have been suitable for a formal night.

Sorry must have hit the wrong key before I was done. What I was trying to say is:

I see you have been on a lot more cruises than I have been. I didn't realize the formal nights can vary.

I have a feeling the 2nd formal night might be night 5 because we leave port early that day (4pm). That is why I picked that night to go to the specialty restaurant. Day 2 we are cruising the Hubbard Glacier until 6pm. Our only sea day is the last day, all the other days we are in port until early evening.

I will wait untill I'm on the ship and check the schedule for the week and decide if the night we picked is a good one for us.

Thanks for confirming that it is fine to dress up on casual or informal nights. :)

Are Capri pants OK for informal nights?

Not really --- on informal you'll see jackets & ties (or shirt & tie) for men, cocktail dresses or dressy pant outfits for women.

I have worn a pair of dressy cropped pants (silk) with sandals and an evening tops on informal nights in the dining room. There are a lot of informal nights on a 12-night sailing, so you may decide to eat elsewhere (like casual dining) where you can wear capris, golf shirts, etc.

They usually allow jeans in the dining room for breakfast and lunch - never really noticed them in warmer climate cruises but they were definitely there for Alaska - especially early in the season when the weather was cooler.

Whatever the enforcement may be, I just wanted to clarify what the RULE is. According to the link you posted, the rule is no jeans in the dining room at any time. When people know the rule, they can then decide whether or not to follow it. If they are misinformed about what the rule is, they might inadvertently violate it and embarass themselves...

It would seem that Celebrity has one more dress code than is necessary.

On our recent HAL, they have changed the rules so that only 2 dress codes apply. Formal and smart casual seem to be much more resonable.

Celebrity should follow what HAL has done. Just my 2 cents worth.

On our recent HAL, they have changed the rules so that only 2 dress codes apply. Formal and smart casual seem to be much more resonable.

You know, the funny thing is that many, many people here on the CC boards actually enjoy the Celebrity dress codes, and that's why they choose Celebrity. No one forces anyone to take a cruise on a line with a dress code/alcohol/smoking policy that they dislike.

Just my two cents ...

Necessary is an odd word to use. I suppose some cruisers would say no dress codes are really necessary!

We like the three different codes, personally, and hope Celebrity sticks to them.

As for the specialty restaurants, we can't bring ourselves to dress casually there even when it is the dress code of the night. The food and ambiance make us feel inappropriately dressed. We generally choose to dress formally but would never go in less than informal attire.

I hope they keep the dress codes as is and begin enforcing them a little better. That is one of the reasons we chose Celebrity in the first place. To us, a little extra for luggage doesn't amount to much when you are spending that kind of money on the cruise, airfare, excursions, drinks, and everything else. I like to see everyone dressed up for a formal dinner. I can go to the local diner and see people in jeans anyday!

Why should Celebrity change? That is why there are so many different cruiselines each catering to a different niche of the market. If all were the same than there would be only one big monopoly and probably not as many cruisers since that one type of cruising would not appeal to all.

How would the HAL board react if I said I cruised HAL and was disappointed that it didn't have 3 dress codes like Celebrity and HAL should follow Celebrity?

We were in the SS United States on a casual night and many were dressed casually. My DH and I created our own category for this...what we would wear to the Inn at Little Washington. DH wore a coat and tie and I did an upscale resort slacks outfit. In the future I think we may just book the specialty restaurant on informal nights.

Archived