I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

No, the closure of the line begins on 5 June, where the entire line from Svanemøllen to Hillerød will close. On 9 August, part of the line (the part from Svanemøllen to Lyngby) will reopen, the northen part between Lyngby and Hillerød still being closed. On 27 September, the entire line will reopen.

Forget the insect repellent and pack a bathing suit and a pair of shorts. I swam in the Baltic in June and wore shorts and short sleeves during most days. As any where in the world, temperatures and weather are unpredictable. It will be cooler at sea and on the water at night....bring a light weight scarf to wrap around your neck. Best to dress in layers.

Thanks for the info. It’s only in the 50’s there right now so I don’t see it getting that much warmer in 3 weeks but you never know. I’ll check out the 10 day forecast just before we leave to get an idea of how things are shaping up. I’m so looking forward to this cruise and our time in Copenhagen in particular. Brenda

Can you tell me where you found the information on the canoeing trip with DCL. I am interested in kayaking / canoeing.

Hello

I'm sorry it's taken so long to respond. Good thing is when I checked yesterday there are still open times. (9:45am-1:00pm)

I booked the Canoeing excursion through DCL website. I googled Disney cruise line excursions and it took me right to the screen I needed. Log in under your reservation # and then scroll down to book excursions. It's under Copenhagen.

We are on the June 12th sailing. How about you?

Let me know if you have more questions. I promise to respond quicker this time.

Happy Sailing

Heidi

@ drowelf

You are traveling on a friday so you can also use it.

It is only saturday and sunday that this branch of route 26 is out of service.

You will have to pay the driver in danish coins or 50 and 100 dkk bills (no larger) and it will cost you 23 dkk each way.

But if you have the Copenhagen Card you don´t have to pay for the trip.

@ drowelf

You are traveling on a friday so you can also use it.

It is only saturday and sunday that this branch of route 26 is out of service.

You will have to pay the driver in danish coins or 50 and 100 dkk bills (no larger) and it will cost you 23 dkk each way.

But if you have the Copenhagen Card you don´t have to pay for the trip.

Danish Viking,

Thanks very much for the information, now for the big question. Are there any ATMs near/at the cruise terminal, so that we can acquire some danish currency before getting on the bus. I would prefer to use an ATM, as that will give me a much, much better exchange rate, than the ship will.

Cheers,

Hello

I'm sorry it's taken so long to respond. Good thing is when I checked yesterday there are still open times. (9:45am-1:00pm)

I booked the Canoeing excursion through DCL website. I googled Disney cruise line excursions and it took me right to the screen I needed. Log in under your reservation # and then scroll down to book excursions. It's under Copenhagen.

We are on the June 12th sailing. How about you?

Let me know if you have more questions. I promise to respond quicker this time.

Happy Sailing

Heidi

Thank you for the information. I am not on the Disney cruise line but I will check when I get to Copenhagen is there are any places for kayaking. Enjoy your cruise.

Hello! We are American "ex-pats" who are currently living in Copenhagen.

LOTS of great ships come through here - and I'm more than happy to give advice on "what to see and do".

We have two children, ages 4 and 6 (currently) - so are very well versed in "what do to with kids".

The great thing about CPH is that it is a VERY (and I mean VERY) clean, safe, and EASY city to explore.

This is a "not to miss" city on your plans --

Enjoy!

we are coming into Copenhagen on 7/31 to sail out on the star princess. I am an airline employee and will be trying to fly in to CPH by standby. My best chances of getting there is through Amesterdam. Is there a train or ferry that would get me to Copenhagen? So far I have found KLM, and Scandinavian Air that would fly there through Amsterdam. I am going to try and get there through JFK/NYC directly to CPH but there is only one flight a day and might not make it. Any suggestions?? Thanks in davance for any help you could give me.

@ drowelf

There is a tourist information at the terminal and i think that you can either get some money there or buy the bus tickets.

@ rummymn

You can either take a combination of Intercity and ICE trains from Amsterdam with changes of trains in Osnabrück and Hamburg.

On the part between Hamburg and Copenhagen the train will board a ferry so you can call it a mini cruise. :)

This trip will take a little bit over 11 hours including changes of trains and it departs at 08:58 and 10:58.

You can also take the night train that goes directly to Copenhagen at 19:01 every day, this trip takes around 15 hours.

I apologize if this question has previously been asked and answered, but I did search the thread and did not find it. My husband and I will be in Copenhagen on June 2, arriving on the Jewel of the Sea and we had planned on taking a Bike with Mike tour, who is highly recommended. It now appears that he is ill and may not be able to available while we are there. Do you know of any other guides you could recommend?

I apologize if this question has previously been asked and answered, but I did search the thread and did not find it. My husband and I will be in Copenhagen on June 2, arriving on the Jewel of the Sea and we had planned on taking a Bike with Mike tour, who is highly recommended. It now appears that he is ill and may not be able to available while we are there. Do you know of any other guides you could recommend?

Copenhagen is very easy to see on your own especially by bike. There are free city bikes available at stalls around the city. You insert 20kr (I believe that is the correct amount) into a locking device in the handlebar and off you go. Bring a map and small guide book with you. Your money will be refunded when you return and relock the bike at any of the city stalls. If you chose to do this, be sure you have read about the history and sights before leaving home.

I plan on taking bus 26 into town (on a Friday and wonder if you could answer three questions):

1) Are you familiar with the bus 26 stop (I believe it is at Freeport where we will be disembarking)? Would the same bus stop serve busses both going into and away from town? Is there a word(s) I can look for that would let me know the bus is going toward town as opposed to away from town?

2) What would be the closest bus stop to the CabInn City hotel on Mitchellsgade (near Tivoli Gardens)?

3) Would the fare be 31,50 for one adult, and do you need correct amount?

Thanks so much,

Jim

:) First - many MANY thanks for all the invaluable information !!

Arriving Thursday, May 20th for the Star Princess leaving on Saturday, May 22nd and struggling with hotels.

I took safe reservations at the Admiral and the Crown Plaza, but the cost is over $200 a night.

I've seen the posts about the Marriott and Priceline saying that people have been getting anywhere fropm $90 - $120 a night and that would be a substantial savings.

Have you heard of recent experience with Priceline?

Is Marriott still the 4 start that Priceline hits in Copenhagen and has anyone gotten the Crown Plaza?

Any other suggestions for calling a good hotel and negotiating a decent rate?

Thank you !!

@ FSUJim

1) The direction towards the city is Ålholm Plads and the direction towards the freeport terminal is Færgehavn Nord (Not Langelinie that is the other cruise terminal)

2) That would be the Central Station/Tivoli stop.

3) The fare is 23 kroner and you can pay with upto a 100 kroner bill.

@ Marty456TTT

I would let the others answer this question.

We will be arriving in Copenhagen at the Cruise Port, Pier 254, in the morning, but our flight isn't until 4 PM. We would like to walk about the city, especially around the Norreport Station and the Rosenborg Castle. Does anyone know where we could leave our luggage either near the Cruise Port or the Norreport Station for several hours?

@ FSUJim

1) The direction towards the city is Ålholm Plads and the direction towards the freeport terminal is Færgehavn Nord (Not Langelinie that is the other cruise terminal)

2) That would be the Central Station/Tivoli stop.

3) The fare is 23 kroner and you can pay with upto a 100 kroner bill.

@ Marty456TTT

I would let the others answer this question.

Thank you so much!

Jim

Copenhagen is very easy to see on your own especially by bike. There are free city bikes available at stalls around the city. You insert 20kr (I believe that is the correct amount) into a locking device in the handlebar and off you go. Bring a map and small guide book with you. Your money will be refunded when you return and relock the bike at any of the city stalls. If you chose to do this, be sure you have read about the history and sights before leaving home.

Thanks for the suggestion. We have gathered quite a bit of information so may indeed try it on our own.

I think this is a silly question but someone wrote something about seeing a

statue they called "a cigarette statue" in Copenhagen City. I can't imagine anything like that so I'm wondering if this truly exists. If so, where is it? I've never seen anything about this in any book. Thanks.

Interesting question ;)

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Denmark/Koebenhavns_Kommune/Copenhagen-162183/Local_Customs-Copenhagen-Smoking-BR-1.html

I found the above link by Googling - there is a statue in a park where somebody put a cigarette in the statue's mouth - probably the same jokers who put a bikini on the Mermaid.

I live in Copenhagen and have never heard of a statue of a cigarette.

I found what the problem is. I think the author should have said Helsinki and not Copenhagen. Here is a picture of a monument in Helsinki...honoring a musician called Sibelius. Click here to see a photo of the monument

http://www.primetravels.com/PackageImages/697/helsinki_sibelius_monument.jpg

Hi! Have collected a lot of great info;) (Read posts starting in March)

Thanks!!:D:D

Here are my questions that I have not seen:

1. Do you have panekoken in Copenhagen? Cross between pancake & crepe.

Used to eat it all the time in Amsterdam during my college days (vacation).

Is it easily found?

2. Average or range exchange rate vs US$ (just FYI only)

3. Will be on the Jewel of the Sea - Jun 26 - Langeline port

Will be walking & using taxi. Can you truly walk off ship into town :confused:

Will do stoget area & maybe changing of the guards.

Anyone? Rick Steves book cover shot (Book: Scandinavia) where is that in Copenhagen exactly. Is it near Langeline? (our port). :):)

Hi! Have collected a lot of great info;) (Read posts starting in March)

Thanks!!:D:D

Here are my questions that I have not seen:

1. Do you have panekoken in Copenhagen? Cross between pancake & crepe.

Yes, we have pancakes. They are mostly like crepes - traditionally eaten with jam and sugar when visiting grandma':p

Used to eat it all the time in Amsterdam during my college days (vacation).

Is it easily found?

They are mostly served in private homes, but maybe in Tivoli.2. Average or range exchange rate vs US$ (just FYI only)

1 $ is about 5 Danish Kroner3. Will be on the Jewel of the Sea - Jun 26 - Langeline port

Will be walking & using taxi. Can you truly walk off ship into town

I don-t know the size of yuor ship, but a lot of the cruiseships dock right at Langelinie, which is located ind the center of Copenhagen. It'll take about 15 minutes to walk to Strøget.Will do stoget area & maybe changing of the guards.

Anyone? Rick Steves book cover shot (Book: Scandinavia) where is that in Copenhagen exactly. Is it near Langeline? (our port). :):)

The cover photo is definitely not from Copenhagen, we don't have mountains that size anywhere in the country.. It's probably from the Swedish "skærgård" the beautifull western coast of Sweden.

We are traveling on Disney Magic on June 24th-July 6th....have 1 day in Copenhagen.....we will be a party of 3 adults and 4 children under 8.....I ave watched the John lawrence DVD as well as read my Rick Steves Book......I am thinking of doing Ho ho Bus because kids will love that (is there more then 1 company? She I pre order or just do so when I get off ship?) Also thinking of getting CPH Card since many of the things we want to see will be covered with the card.....not sure I am willing to attempt public transport with 4 kids......I need a no brainer......I have several questions:

1) What is the order of the sights I should see......?

2) Is it still true that I will need to pay for everything in DKK because American CC are not readily excepted.

3) Should I bring money with me or just do it at an ATM when I get off ship (I'm assuming there is one in terminal.

Any other tips would be great.

Marlo

Archived