I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

Just to clear something out on our Pølsevogns chat!!!! the onion chips are what we call Ristede Løg (Fried Onions) its just Onions sliced into small pieces.

I got all confused about the talk about Onion Rings so i did not think about what you guys were referring to.

@ Swifs

I would walk from Langelinie pier were the magic will dock to Frihedsmuseet (Museum of Resistance), its a nice walk trough Kastellet fortress and it will not take a long time.

Just follow the blue line on this map.

http://map.krak.dk/m/pYevw

The museum opens at 10:00 and there is free entrance to the museum.

You can take bus 1A directly to Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek, you just need to walk to the end of Esplanaden and take Bus 1A (heading for Avedøre St.) from the busstop located at Esplanaden/Store Kongensgade.

The bus stop you will get off at is Named Stormgade/Glyptoteket.

The National Museum is in walking distance from the Glyptotek so i would choose that above Rosenborg Castle.

The entrance is free and it will tell you a great part of the danish history, even more than Rosenborg Castle.

When you get home you simply just walk to the bus stop Stormbroen, Nationalmuseet and take bus number 26 back to Langelinie Pier.

Just remember that the sign on the bus must read Langelinie (the cruise ships) and not Færgehavn nord.

The bus to Langelinie Pier is departing att XX:03, XX:23 and XX:43.

@ Lulu58

I´m guessing that you talk about Amalienborg, Rosenborg and Christiansborg Castles.

The distance from Langelinie Pier to Amalienborg is around 1,8 km counting detours (we can´t fly)

Amalienborg to Rosenborg is around 1,2 km

Rosenborg to Christiansborg is 1,1 km

Christiansborg to Tivoli is 1,2 km

I took the most logical routes so no smart shortcuts here.

@ BunnysMum

My best suggestion is to take bus number 26 from the pier into Nyhavn and Kongens Nytorv and cath a Canal tour boat from there.

After the tour you can walk down Strøget shopping street to Tivoli and be there the remainer of the day.

Bus number 26 will only go until 18:35 from the central station and Tivoli so after that you can take a train to Østerport train station and walk from there or take a taxi.

@ Genie

Just to clear something up.

I posted this to you

You can easily walk to Nordhavn but if you want to take a taxi i would say that Østerport is the best choice.

That i was meant to say was this...

You can easily walk tothe freeport terminal from Nordhavn station but if you want to take a taxi i would say that Østerport is the best choice because there are more taxis available at Østerport.

Furthermore the walk to or from Nordhavn station is about 1 km long

Just look at this map.

http://map.krak.dk/m/pYB5D

I hope that i answered all the question but if someone is missing a answer or want further explanation to my replys, just ask again. :)

Danish Viking....

I am just trying to lay out an itinerary for our 2 1/2 days in Copenhagen after our cruise.

Day #1....to hotel (Marriott) from ship. Thinking of a canal tour/waterbus to get a feel for Copenhagen. Possibly lunch at Nyhavn....back to hotel to check in...evening to Tivoli.

Day #2....Christianborg Slot....changing of the guard...Hans Christian Anderson Rosenborg Slot Tour in the afternoon. Possibly have the chance to visit some meuseums in the area.

Day #3....Fredericksborg Slot in AM the on to Kronborg Slot in afternoon. ?? do we need to go back to central station from Fredericksborg to go to Kronborg? Is this the best use of a whole day??

Day #4......5AM to airport for a 7:30AM departure.

We have already ordered the Copenhagen Card so I would hope that a lot of the costs of this itinerary will be covered.

Do you think this is a good plan?or wqould you offer some other suggestions on how to best maximize our time in your beautiful city. Also would like to spend some more time in Tivoli.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Danish Viking....

I am just trying to lay out an itinerary for our 2 1/2 days in Copenhagen after our cruise.

Day #1....to hotel (Marriott) from ship. Thinking of a canal tour/waterbus to get a feel for Copenhagen. Possibly lunch at Nyhavn....back to hotel to check in...evening to Tivoli.

It sounds like a good plan, but maybe a short visit to Strøget shopping street that starts (or ends if you like) at Kongens Nytorv/Nyhavn.

Day #2....Christianborg Slot....changing of the guard...Hans Christian Anderson Rosenborg Slot Tour in the afternoon. Possibly have the chance to visit some meuseums in the area.

Changing of the guards is at Amalienborg Castle, not christiansborg.

The Resistance museum and Rosenborg Castle is not that far from Amalienborg Castle.

Day #3....Fredericksborg Slot in AM the on to Kronborg Slot in afternoon. ?? do we need to go back to central station from Fredericksborg to go to Kronborg? Is this the best use of a whole day??

No Lokalbanen will get you from Hillerød (Frederiksborg) to Helsingør (Kronborg), it goes every hour at XX:00

Between 05:30 and 08:30 and 14:30 and 18:30 it also departs at XX:30.

The travel time is 28 minutes.

Day #4......5AM to airport for a 7:30AM departure.

We have already ordered the Copenhagen Card so I would hope that a lot of the costs of this itinerary will be covered.

Transportation is covered

Here is a list of things that are free or reduced.

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/content/tourist/what_to_see_and_do/cphcard/whats_included

Do you think this is a good plan?or wqould you offer some other suggestions on how to best maximize our time in your beautiful city. Also would like to spend some more time in Tivoli.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

DanishViking - Looking forward to visiting your beautiful city. Your instructions are very clear, and now I have a good plan how to get around comfortably on Day 1 in Copenhagen. My plans for Day 1 in Copenhagen - and ship embarkation - are this:

1) Arrive CPH at 7:30 AM 7/31/10

2) Using our pre-purchased CPH card, take the train or metro from the airport to Copenhagen central station (Hovedbanegården) and store luggage at Copenhagen Central Station by Track 11/12.

3) The take an "early" train at 08:25 from the (Hovedbanegården) central station (S-train line E to Hillerød) to Frederiksborg Castle. There is just under 1 mile (1.4 km) from the train station to the castle, and it includes a nice walk trough Hillerød town center and the lake surrounding the castle. Optionally take bus number 701, 702, 703, or 325 from the train station the rest of the way to the castle and save our legs. We noted the S-train for Hillerød departs from (Hovedbanegården) Central station every 20 minutes at xx:05, xx:25 and xx:55.

After touring Frederiksborg Castle, on the way back to Copenhagen we'll catch the bus from just outside the castle (or walk). The bus is route 702 that drives from almost outside the main gate - it drives towards Egedammen, but it is in the direction of the train station. The bus gives you 6 minutes to change to a S-train back to Copenhagen, if you take the bus at 11:30 you will be back in Copenhagen by 12:20.

(Note - if the weather is bad, we'll stay in town on Day 1 and save Frederiksborg for Day 2 in Copenhagen)

4) Grab lunch outside the Central Station (Hovedbanegården).

5) Then walk/HOHO and see as many in-city sites as we have time inside the old city of Copenhagen, using the CityCirkel HOHO buses that run in central Copenhagen using our CPH card. The circular trip takes one hour total, during which you pass in front of some of Copenhagen's top tourist sights and attractions, such as City Hall Square, Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek, Tivoli, The National Museum, Christiansborg Palace, Nyhavn and The Round Tower.

6) Return to Central Station around 4:00 - 4:30 PM and pick up our luggage.

7) Take the S-train to Østerport.

8) From Østerport, take a taxi the rest of the way to Freeport Terminal C245.

9) Ship leaves at 7:00 PM.

1st cruse day is at sea, so we'll be able to sleep in and rest...

Since we'll be returning on Tuesday, 8/10 at 5:00AM, and not flying out until the following day, Wednesday 8/11, I have also formulated a Day 2 visit plan in Copenhagen that includes:

• Viking Ship Museum and Cathedral in Roskilde
  • Louisiana
  • Kronborg Castle at Helsingør
  • The rest of the in-town Copenhagen sites we are interested in...

Thanks!

Genie

Danish Viking...

Thank you so much for all of your VERY helpful information.

I think our plan is pretty well set but I did want to ask one thing....maybe more before we leave in April!!!...if we were only going to visit one castle..Frederickborg or Kronborg, which one would you recommend. I know if we go to Kronborg, it would be possible to also visit Roskilde. Would that be a better choice? We are just trying to see as much as possible in a short time.

Thank you again...

Danish Viking....

Thank you so much. You have been most helpful. We would also like to add the Segway tour but unfortunately we will be running out of time. I was just trying to figure out if there was something we could skip si that we could add the segway.

Danish Viking-

We will be staying at the Marriott Hotel overnight before our cruise leaves. Our plan is to take the train from the airport to the Central Station and walk to the hotel from there. Looks like this about a 1/2 mile walk. We have luggage with wheels so we can pull the bags along. Is this possible to do or are we facing an impossible task.

Thanks for all your wonderful help so far.

<<<Karen>>>

@ TB

You are brave, i do imagine people starring and pointing at you. :)

I have never seen a Segway in Copenhagen but i´m guessing that your group will stick out of the masses.

The price is 400 dkk per person, money easily spent on other things.

@ gkkapp

It´s a easy walk, just turn right when you come out of the Tivoli Entrance at the central station and when the street ends at Kalvebod Brygge you just turn left and the hotel will appear on your right hand after a couple of hundred meters.

The sidewalk is not perfect but not in bad conditions.

Roskilde is located 25-30km west of Copenhagen and Helsingør is located around 40 km to the north of Copenhagen it would be more easy to to visit Frederiksborg and Kronborg Castles at once so you avoid to much travel time.

I just looked at a Google Map of Denmark and now realize Kronborg and Frederiksborg are relatively close to one another, so they should be done together on the same outing! Let me see if I have my directions between the two correct?

To Helsingør (Kronborg Castle ) to/from Hillerød (Frederiksborg Castle):

Catch the “Lille Nord” Lokalbanen (private?) train at Hillerød toward Helsingør. It departs on the hour at XX:00 between 05:30 and 08:30 and 14:30 and 18:30. It also departs on the half hour at XX:30 between then. The travel time is 28 minutes.

If the above is correct, that will make easy travel between Helsingør (Kronborg Castle ) and Hillerød (Frederiksborg Castle).

If so, we'll save Roskilde for our 2nd day in Copenhagen.

Thanks!

That is indeed correct.

I would finish with Kronborg because the Öresund trains that are in service between Helsingør and Copenhagen almost have the same comfort as a Intercity train and not the mass transit feel of the S-train and Lokalbanen.

You can really relax in those seats and you need that after a long day visiting 2 castles.

Just so you can see witch train you gonna use (yes im a train nerd)

The S-train

sa_hl.jpg

dsb_sa_3.jpg

Lokalbanen

Helsingor6.jpg

Öresund train

Otog.jpg

DSB_ET_i.jpg

Thanks Danish Viking!! That's exactly what we wanted to know.

I enjoyed your train photos. While the trains themselves are not "my thing" I do collect railroad china, pieces that were used in the dinning cars during the height of America railroad travel.

<<<Karen>>>

I have read quite a bit about independent tours, but are there any reliable private tour companies that anyone would recommend. Our ship will be in port in Copenhagen June 7 from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p. m. com. and four of us would like to arrange a private tour rather than use the ship's excursions.

Thank you

@ gkkapp

Life would be sad without a hobby, lucky for you one of my hobbys are ships and that was the reason that i found this forum.

Actually i have a interest in everythings moving, that is ships, cars and trains but surprisingly i care less for aeroplanes.

The only cruise i have been on is a mini cruise between Copenhagen and Oslo and a overnight ferry between Larvik in Norway and Frederikshavn in Denmark.

@ funtimer

I don´t know a company but guides.dk have all the guides listed.

http://www.guides.dk/2-59-english.html

We are looking to spend our morning in Tivoli and then possibly go to the Open Air Museum. I looked on the website for the Open Air Museum and can't find directions on how to get there other than in Dutch. How easy or difficult is it to use public transportation to get there? If easy, what is the best route? How long should it take?

Thanks in advance!!!!!

@ Brandysmommy

The open air museum (frilandsmuseet) is located 600 meters from Sorgenfri station.

Tivoli is located next door to the central station (København H) so you just hit track 9 and 10 and jump on S-train line B towards Holte and get off at Sorgenfri.

Just turn right when you come up from the station on the road Skovbrynet and follow it under the freeway until you reach Kongevejen.

Then you turn left on Kongevejen and it will soon appear on your right hand.

But please notice that there also is a station called Skovbrynet but it's on another line.

@ seven1113

Many users on this board has approved the hotel and the location is almost perfect for touring downtown Copenhagen.

If you come from the airport you can just take the Metro line M2 to Kongens Nytorv and walk to the hotel from there.

@ Brandysmommy

The open air museum (frilandsmuseet) is located 600 meters from Sorgenfri station.

Tivoli is located next door to the central station (København H) so you just hit track 9 and 10 and jump on S-train line B towards Holte and get off at Sorgenfri.

Just turn right when you come up from the station on the road Skovbrynet and follow it under the freeway until you reach Kongevejen.

Then you turn left on Kongevejen and it will soon appear on your right hand.

But please notice that there also is a station called Skovbrynet but it's on another line.

@ seven1113

Many users on this board has approved the hotel and the location is almost perfect for touring downtown Copenhagen.

If you come from the airport you can just take the Metro line M2 to Kongens Nytorv and walk to the hotel from there.

Thank you so much!!! Do these trains run continously throughout the day? How long is the train ride approximately - Thanks so much!!!

Archived