I Find this hard to believe

Cruzin Terri

I originally posted a message entitled "Topkapi Palace" asking if anyone thought it was feasible for me to see the palace on the day the ship docks at 4pm. The responder indicated that I would not make it to the palace in time to see it.

I then looked at the shore excursions for HAL and noticed that two of the excursions indicated that they make a stop at the Topkapi Palace and one even says that we have lunch inside the palace. This is on a TUESDAY, the day that all the guide books and websites say that the Palace is CLOSED.

I then called HAL shore excursions to ask if HAL had a special arrangement with the Topkapi Palace that admitted tours on a day the palace is closed. The rep said "Yes they do".

Since I am quite new to cruising and have never cruised in Europe, I have no idea if this could actually happen. I would hate to book this tour and then find out that something else is substituted because it is TUESDAY and the Topkapi is closed.

DH and I were planning to do Istanbul on our own, but would opt for the tour if this permitted us to get into the palace.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing happening? You are all so experienced HAL cruisers that I feel this is the best place to get an answer.

Thanks for your help.

Terri

I originally posted a message entitled "Topkapi Palace" asking if anyone thought it was feasible for me to see the palace on the day the ship docks at 4pm. The responder indicated that I would not make it to the palace in time to see it.

I then looked at the shore excursions for HAL and noticed that two of the excursions indicated that they make a stop at the Topkapi Palace and one even says that we have lunch inside the palace. This is on a TUESDAY, the day that all the guide books and websites say that the Palace is CLOSED.

I then called HAL shore excursions to ask if HAL had a special arrangement with the Topkapi Palace that admitted tours on a day the palace is closed. The rep said "Yes they do".

Since I am quite new to cruising and have never cruised in Europe, I have no idea if this could actually happen. I would hate to book this tour and then find out that something else is substituted because it is TUESDAY and the Topkapi is closed.

DH and I were planning to do Istanbul on our own, but would opt for the tour if this permitted us to get into the palace.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing happening? You are all so experienced HAL cruisers that I feel this is the best place to get an answer.

Thanks for your help.

Terri

I would call or email the Topkapi Palace direct. That way you would get the most accurate answer. Whatever they tell you, I am sure you could trust.

Thanks for your help.

Terri

Email the Palace directly to get an accurate response, and also e-mail the HAL excursions department so you get it in writing.

Thanks for your help.

Terri

Hi, Terri

We are on your cruise and are doing an Istanbul by night thing the day we arrive -- which is a Monday. If we were not already booked, I would be looking to do a private tour of Topkapi after docking. I understand it is open late on Monday. The others have given you great info on emailing them directly. The Monday evening option might work for you. Good luck. Looking forward to meeting you and Jim on board.

Cheers,

Karen (Dave, too)

I've read many times in my travel magazines that some guides haves 'special' connections that allow them access to places that are closed to the public. We'll have access with our private guide to some palaces/museums that are closed when we're in St. Petersburg this summer. HAL being able to make special arrangements doesn't surprise me in the least.

If you are docking as late as 4 pm, and you find that the Topkapi is closed, then research a private trip to see the whirling dervishes. We did last time we were in Istanbul and it was amazing. It was difficult to arrange, but well worth it.

HAL can definitely get special tours for its passengers at times when attractions are closed. I have been on such tours.

I returned from a cruise about one month ago on the Zuiderdam which included a stop in Istanbul. I wouldn't even consider trying to do a private tour during evening hours. We also arrived about 4PM and did the Bosporous Dinner Cruise that evening. The scenery was beautiful and the food was good. A wonderful evening. The following day we had an all day tour which included stops at Topkapi Palace, the Blue Mosque, Saint Sophia cathedral, the bazaar, and a presentation at a rug store. I would suggest this itinerary. You see all the major attractions that way.

By the way, I was a little concerned about what kind of reception we would receive in Istanbul. The people here were friendlier than any place we have ever been. Bar none. Have a great time!

We were in Istanbul on the Rotterdam in Oct/06 and booked the shore excursion which included Topkapi Palace. There was a notice on the shore excursion booking website that Topkapi Palace was "closed to the public on Tuesdays", but would be available to those who booked through HAL. We went into the Palace and had the place to ourselves - it was lovely having a private tour of the grounds, seeing the gems close-up and being able to wander as we wished without the crowds. Enjoy!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Thank you all for your responses. I guess I believe it now. I booked the Best of Istanbul Tour with time and lunch in the Topkapi Palace.

Terri

You will be happy with this tour, which we took last month. We had plenty of time in the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia...really breathtaking! Hopefully the Topkapi won't be as crowded, and you will not be rushed while gawking at the huge emeralds, rubies and diamonds in the Treasury. The lunch was good at the restaurant....we were seated at long tables overlooking the Bosphorous.

I replied at the Topkapi thread, and still suggest "Diner and Cruise on the Scenic Bosphorous " the first night. It was money well spent. The Istanbul by Night tour got back after midnight, late if you want to be fresh for the all day tour. We were back by around 9:30.

Karen

You will be happy with this tour, which we took last month. We had plenty of time in the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia...really breathtaking! Hopefully the Topkapi won't be as crowded, and you will not be rushed while gawking at the huge emeralds, rubies and diamonds in the Treasury. The lunch was good at the restaurant....we were seated at long tables overlooking the Bosphorous.

I replied at the Topkapi thread, and still suggest "Diner and Cruise on the Scenic Bosphorous " the first night. It was money well spent. The Istanbul by Night tour got back after midnight, late if you want to be fresh for the all day tour. We were back by around 9:30.

Karen

Thanks Karen for your advice. I think it will not be so crowded if it is a Tuesday and the Palace is closed to the general public. We are the only ship in port that day. I checked.

I will talk to my husband about the Dinner Cruise. Don't know about that yet but we'll decide.

I appreciate your input.

Terri

Archived