Desserted Parent? Help!

newmrs

Hi

I am booked on the Carnival Paradise on July 28 with my 2 boys (8 & 12). This seems to be their vacation of choice. Last year on RCCL they discovered the kids club and I never saw them. Great for them but I was left to hang out all by my lonesome in the evenings until they decided to come out. I met a few people along the way, but never anyone to hang out with. I'm not single, just my husband wont be joining me. So I cant really look for the singles. I dont mind the single social stuff, I just dont know if I will be allowed to since I am married. Or even if they do have single cruisers get together.Does anyone have any advice for this temporary single parent? I am also pretty shy. Not the type to walk up to a group and say 'hi'. Help and thanks!!!!

countdown.pl?name=Newmrs&date=7-28-2008&image=Beach-9&text=&ship=Carnival Paradise

My first suggestion is to find the roll call for your cruise and start getting to know some of your fellow cruisers ahead of time. We've met some wonderful people on our roll calls!

As for joining in on the singles activities... why not? You're travelling alone, and that's what those activities are all about - providing some social opportunities for passengers who don't have 'built in' companions. You should definitely take advantage of it.

I don't know if RCCL has it, either, but we enjoy the pub crawls on NCL. Basically, the group moves from venue to venue and there's a lot of laughing and fun. We found the age group at the pub crawls ranged from about 21 to mid-40s.

When the daily activities brochure comes out, look at it, decide what activities interest you and go for it. Lots of people who travel with their spouses will be going solo to the various activities, since not everyone is interested in doing the same thing at the same time. Do what you enjoy, have fun, and don't worry about meeting people or being 'alone' - you might find you like having personal space.

I for one am counting the seconds until I'm back on a ship without my husband and my teenager is off on his teenage thing. Being able to do what I want, when I want to without taking care of anyone else is a rare treat.

With any luck, you'll find that your tablemates are nice people and you'll meet someone that way too.

Good luck

The roll call is definitely a good way to start. Also, plan to sit at a larger table so you have built-in dinner companions. With any luck, you'll click with some of them and can spend the evenings together at the shows, lounges, etc.

Also, your boys are old enough to understand that you can feel a bit lonely at times, too. Maybe you could talk to them about planning 1-2 "family nights" where you all hang out together. You could wait to choose specific dates until you were on the cruise so that they weren't missing out on favorite activities at the kids club.

Honestly, you really seem to be relying on your children to provide you with companionship and that is not their job. Lots of us are naturally shy, but we sometimes need to grow-up and get over it. What's the worst that can happen if you approach a group?

Get involved in lots of activities. You will not be the only one alone there. You will find it's not as hard as you thought.

I am a single parent and travel all the time on cruises with just my son.

I am not looking for "singles"- as in dating. I am on a family trip and that isn't the purpose of my cruising- so I am alot like you.

Anyway, here is the thing. You must go to the assigned seating at night. They will undoubtedly have you at a table with other parents with kids. This is the first way to meet other passengers.

After that, you should go to any trivia games they offer. People will gladly allow you to be on their team. So now you have met at least six new people.

Apart from that you can go to dance classes that all the cruise lines offer. They will either have line dancing or partner dancing and if you don't have a partner, the dance instructor may end up being your partner. So that's a good thing.

Late night, if you don't mind the kids being in the cabin alone, you may like to go to the nightclubs. They usually play games there and have different things going on after 10PM.

Take the kids on an excursion and there will be other people from the ship that you will meet in a more intimate setting.

Saddle up to the pool bar by day and just chat with whoever is next to you. Same with at night at kareoke- sit at the bar not a little table by yourself. People that attend these things are usually very fun.

I have found that if I get involved with the onboard activities I meet people. If I stay to myself- like only go to movies or the library, I don't. That's just common sense.

The roll call is definitely a good way to start. Also, plan to sit at a larger table so you have built-in dinner companions. With any luck, you'll click with some of them and can spend the evenings together at the shows, lounges, etc.

Also, your boys are old enough to understand that you can feel a bit lonely at times, too. Maybe you could talk to them about planning 1-2 "family nights" where you all hang out together. You could wait to choose specific dates until you were on the cruise so that they weren't missing out on favorite activities at the kids club.

This is a great idea. We like to sit at larger tables (get to meet more people) which is fun. We've been on several cruises where there have been single travelers. We always ask if they would like to join us for different activites or excursions. Some are really pleased to join us and some prefer to just stay on their own. So, that would be one way to go!

Believe me, those singles get togethers are very, very lame, and poorly attended. Like the others have said, join in the group activities and you'll be fine. And, do what lots of parents do, make rules that the boys must spend some time with you during the day.

Believe me, those singles get togethers are very, very lame, and poorly attended. Like the others have said, join in the group activities and you'll be fine. And, do what lots of parents do, make rules that the boys must spend some time with you during the day.

Okay... so what you're saying is that every singles get together is lame? Every one... on every ship... no matter what the mix of passengers? :p Forgive me for saying so... but you sound like one of those kids parents post about who refuse to even visit the kids'/teen club because they think it's 'lame'.

The truth is, no matter how 'lame' or poorly attended they are (or people think they are), if there is ONE person there that you get along with and share some interests with, then skipping it means you will miss meeting them and potentially forming a lasting friendship. There is absolutely no way to predict what ANY group is going to be like at any organized activity on any cruise ship, so why not give it a try? The absolutely worst thing that could happen is that an entire half hour (or less, since it usually doesn't take that long to figure out if you want to stay) might have been spent doing something that could have led to a great friendship. :)

No, I am not sure where you got that but if you read my words and not try to interpret you would be better off. I am a perfect loving parent who wants my boys to do what they want. I was looking for advice on what to do when they are not with me. I dont recall passing any judgment on anything. So, please do not assume you know what I am thinking.

Thank you everyone for the real advice. To those that don't have anything better to do than read into things and criticize, not sure what to say.

I will not tap into this thread any longer so any any soapboxes wont be seen by me.

Honestly, you really seem to be relying on your children to provide you with companionship and that is not their job. Lots of us are naturally shy, but we sometimes need to grow-up and get over it. What's the worst that can happen if you approach a group?

Get involved in lots of activities. You will not be the only one alone there. You will find it's not as hard as you thought.

I take my daughter on vacation and I do expect some companionship from her because after all it is a family vacation.

To the OP, I think that the idea to visit the roll call board is a great idea. You can meet alot of people and when you meet them on board it seems like they are old friends already.

I take my daughter on vacation and I do expect some companionship from her because after all it is a family vacation.

To the OP, I think that the idea to visit the roll call board is a great idea. You can meet alot of people and when you meet them on board it seems like they are old friends already.

I totally understand and agree with this, but OP stated in her first post that she was lonesome and had no one to hang out with, that she was shy and wasn't the type to approach a group. It is always hard to interpret meaning on a chat board, but I took this to mean OP had a hard time being on her own, and expected her sons to fill this void. If this is incorrect, I did not understand.

No, I am not sure where you got that but if you read my words and not try to interpret you would be better off. I am a perfect loving parent who wants my boys to do what they want. I was looking for advice on what to do when they are not with me. I dont recall passing any judgment on anything. So, please do not assume you know what I am thinking.

Thank you everyone for the real advice. To those that don't have anything better to do than read into things and criticize, not sure what to say.

I will not tap into this thread any longer so any any soapboxes wont be seen by me.

I think you misinterpreted my post... (I'm just assuming you're responding to me, so forgive me if I'm mistaken) I should have quoted the post above mine, which said 'Believe me, those singles get togethers are very, very lame, and poorly attended.' I just thought it was funny, since as I said, it's what parents often complain their kids say about the kids'/teen activities. Your post I answered with some friendly suggestions, check the first reply. :)

I think it's too bad if you really stop reading the thread, since I'm sure people will continue to give good suggestions. It's a very helpful bunch here!! :)

Archived