Best currency to tip in??

I have been on 3 European cruises over several years, and it has been my experience that most, not all, the crew members were from Europe. Many from Croatia. I only use this to indicate where their home bank, and home currency, is most likely located, and therefore the economy their family lives in. Most crew members are supporting or subsidizing family members.

No, a crew member is not going to quit over their monthly $50 from RCCL dropping to $35, but they do end up not renewing their contracts because their TIPS have dropped so much they can earn the same Euro equivalent at home.

That's my point here: the lion's share of their salary has indeed decreased over the devaluing of the US dollar. So, I believe in tipping the EQUIVALENT of the suggested tips in EITHER Euros or more US dollars, charging it on our SeaPass account, and adding some extra in either US dollars or Euros.

If they're on Independence, they're sailing out of the U.K. where the currency is sterling, not the euro, so I'd recommend tipping in sterling or good old dollars.

For what its worth, not all of Europe (actually a good part of it) is not on the euro. For example, for the Jewel Northern Europe sailings, only one port (Helsinki) is on the euro, the rest have their own independent currencies.

Tara, is this so? In London, US dollars are welcome? For example, if I were tipped in the US with non-us currency I don't think I would be very happy. I have a bunch of euros, maybe I'll use them for tipping:eek: :cool: 10 days! and 2 weeks-embarkation!

Dean

I firmly believe this is a decision everyone has to make for themselves, but being informed helps people make their decisions.

quote]

And my decision is to pay the suggested amount on my sea pass so I don't have to take the hit on the conversion.

You ARE responsible for the crew's salary, because about 95% of it is in tips. See this url for the facts:

I disagree. The passengers did not hire the crew. The crew are not the passengers' employees. I also note that the contract you linked to guarantees a monthly minimum.

It is the cruise line that is responsible for paying its employees, not the passengers. Passengers should tip if they feel the service warrants the tip. However, the passengers are not responsible for paying the crew. The cruise line, the employer of the crew, is responsible for paying its employees.

I have been on 3 European cruises over several years, and it has been my experience that most, not all, the crew members were from Europe. Many from Croatia. I only use this to indicate where their home bank, and home currency, is most likely located, and therefore the economy their family lives in. Most crew members are supporting or subsidizing family members.

No, a crew member is not going to quit over their monthly $50 from RCCL dropping to $35, but they do end up not renewing their contracts because their TIPS have dropped so much they can earn the same Euro equivalent at home.

That's my point here: the lion's share of their salary has indeed decreased over the devaluing of the US dollar. So, I believe in tipping the EQUIVALENT of the suggested tips in EITHER Euros or more US dollars, charging it on our SeaPass account, and adding some extra in either US dollars or Euros.

Croatia is not on the euro. The currency is the Croatian kuna.

Tara, is this so? In London, US dollars are welcome? For example, if I were tipped in the US with non-us currency I don't think I would be very happy. I have a bunch of euros, maybe I'll use them for tipping:eek: :cool: 10 days! and 2 weeks-embarkation!

Dean

I'm talking more about on the ship. I doubt people would be happy to see USD as a tip in the UK. That being said, remember on your pre-tour excursions in London that:

1) Tipping bartenders is not expected nor generally done at all.

2) Tipping in restaurants is 10-12% IF the service charge was not added to the bill already (generally its already included).

So generally, you won't even have to worry about tipping in London!

UK is sterling, but most of the ports are Euro, so I'd tip in Euros, the currency is also stronger.

If you tip in London do not tip in dollars,m it will not be appreciated, (speaking as a Londoner and one who waited tables while at uni), also on land in most places in Europe they would really prefer the local currency, Europe is is not friendly with dollars in the same way the Caribbean is.

Croatia isn't on the Euro. Nor are many of the Eastern European countries where the crewmembers are from. So tipping them in Euros still leaves them needing to convert to their local currency. Without knowing the exchange rates between the Croatian Kuna, the US dollar and the Euro, you have no way to know what amount makes them "whole". And if tipping them in Euros is financially advantageous, that would be true whether you're sailing in Europe or the Caribbean. Got a headache yet?;)

So I'll continue to tip in dollars, thanks.:)

just of the Navigator today and had prepaid my tipping. We had room service one day and extra we paid to others was all in Euro. The euro is strong at the moment so i would think greatly appreciated. I did not want to get $$ too

I disagree. The passengers did not hire the crew. The crew are not the passengers' employees. I also note that the contract you linked to guarantees a monthly minimum.

It is the cruise line that is responsible for paying its employees, not the passengers. Passengers should tip if they feel the service warrants the tip. However, the passengers are not responsible for paying the crew. The cruise line, the employer of the crew, is responsible for paying its employees.

I ditto you 100% and am really glad to hear that someone else feels the same way as I do.

I ditto you 100% and am really glad to hear that someone else feels the same way as I do.

I agree too. I don't walk around with pockets stuffed full of dollar bills to hand out to everyone who so much as greets me. I tip the suggested amounts. It's really none of my business what the crews salary is or whom they support from what country.

This is what I was thinking. If, as the EMPLOYER, Royal Caribbean took it upon themselves to revise their suggested tip amount to reflect the dwindling value of the US$, I would happily comply.

I have no obligation to take it upon myself to figure out currency exchange rates and give a "little extra" because the $ isn't worth as much as it used to. Hell, my $1 doesn't buy me as much now as it has in the past... but, for example, my boss isn't giving me a raise just because gas prices are high!

I am kind of confused here. What difference does it make what currency you tip in, dollars, euros or sterling? Do you think the person getting the tip cares if he gets the same value's worth of dollars, euros or sterling?

Unless you are only tipping in set increments like "10" of something and not a set value like "10 dollars" worth of dollars, euros or steling it doesnt make any difference.

Let's be real here, it's not like the crew member is going to put the money under his mattress for a year and be subject to market flucuations of the dollar. I doubt that the value is going to change that much in the few days it takes for the crew member to spend or bank the tip, whatever currency it was given in.

Oh, and as far as people in London not wanting to get tips in US Dollars, I bet they wouldnt mind getting tipped a $100 bill. I am sure it is the amount they dont like, not the currency.

Just my opinion.

Archived