Cabin Categories on Artistry

sueernieb

We are taking our first river cruise next year and are wondering about the different cabin categories. There seems to be a large price difference between them. What are the differences? I know the lowest category has a window at sea level. Is one category noisier than another? Any info would be helpful. We are not interested in a suite. Just info on other cabins. Thanks a bunch.

Sue

When we were on the Artistry, those in the lowest level said that they were in the fish bowl. Most of them were OK with being there but as I have claustrophobia we decided to do the middle level. We loved our room and having a french balcony (which is really only a sliding glass door). We were in the middle of the ship (room 219) but I didn't hear any complaints from anyone on the middle deck. The upper deck has the suites plus rooms that are the same size as the others.

From now on, we will take rooms on the middle level. The only noise came from going through the locks and that wasn't necessarily ship noise.

Hi Sue,

There is no elevator on this ship. Some of the newer Avalon ships do have it. We had several people fairly handicapped on the trip and although it took them a little bit of time to get up the steps, they seemed to do OK.

The food was wonderful. We thoroughly enjoyed the buffet breakfasts and lunches. There were at least three choices for main course for dinner (or you could have salmon or chicken). The dinners were four course with appetizer, soup, main course, and dessert. At 4 pm each afternoon, they served coffee/tea and cakes/cookies. That was hard to pass up. The pastry chef on board did a great job with all of our desserts.

As for the dress code ... or lack of it ... during the day I wore black jeans/slacks and a top and jacket (if necessary) for touring. At night I sometimes changed into a fancier top. The only time that we dressed up (skirt and nice top for me and good slacks and good shirt for my husband) was at the farewell dinner. Some folks chose to bring along fancier clothes but I never felt out of place. Some of the men brought jackets just because they knew that they were taking the optional tour of a concert in Vienna.

Again, let me know if I can answer any other questions.

OK Pat, here comes a weird question. How large were the flights of steps? Two people in our group have trouble with steps. Is there about 10 in a flight of steps to the next deck or 20 or 30? Thanks.

Sue

Sue, I would judge that there were between 10 and 15 steps between levels.

We found that in some ports we got off the ship from the top level (that's where the dining room, lounge, etc. are) and other time we got off at the middle level (that's where the reception desk and rooms are).

I am sorry that I didn't count the steps ... but my assumption is a little over 10 but much less than 20.

Hi Sue,

I understand that the tulips were in full bloom. We saw some as we left Amsterdam. Unfortunately, our initial flight was delayed due to mechanical and weather, so we arrived at the ship with about two hours to spare before leaving for Cologne. But I do know that some of the people on the trip did go to see the tulips and took some great pictures.

Our weather was pleasant. Somedays we were glad that we brought sweatshirts and jackets as we needed them both, but by the end of the trip, we just wore our long-sleeve shirts.

We had rain only one day and that was the day we took an optional tour.

When is your trip???

We didn't find it mattered on which side we had our cabin. In some ports we were looking out at the other side of the river while other times we were up against the dock .... just depended on the city.

When we cruised from Budapest to Amsterdam in July last year the cabins on the port side got very hot in the late afternoon.Those that were in those cabins had to keep their drapes closed late in the day to keep the sun from making the cabin unbearably hot. We were on the starboard side so were fine but if I cruise again in summer I would keep in mind the direction we are cruising and be sure to get a cabin that does not get the late afternoon sun.

Of course, we traveled April/May when the sun actually felt good, but you are right about the summer.

Thanks for adding this ... I'm sure Sue will be happy for this input (from someone other than me).

Hi Pat,

Looking at Sue's timing it probably won't matter which side they are on but perhaps for someone going in the summer it would make a difference.

Have you started planning for next year yet?

Judy

Hi Judy,

No, we haven't started planning yet .. we have used up most of our frequent flyer miles ... so I'm not sure what we will do ... Mel really loved this trip and says that it is the way to go ... having paid for everything up front was great ... we only had our bar bill on board and the tips (and a few gifts), so our credit card statements were not that bad.

So, I guess it is time to start looking .. I'd love to go on one of the new Avalon ships that are being launched next year ... so we will see ... how about you and DH??? Are you planning anything yet???

Hey Pat,

I really think I could go back to Italy again and again.Just love it. Any future travel we do to Europe will definitely be on our own and not a tour.I agree about the new ships. I'm interested in the France thing but would like to hear some reviews.Rivercruising is the only thing I would do as a group from now on though.

After trips to Europe every year for the past 5 years I think we will stay in the States next year. The $$ is worth 0 and I won't go back to Europe until it recovers against the euro. We are planning on taking our 10 year old Grandson to Yellowstone next summer.I figured we'd better do it while he still thinks we're fun. It won't be long till he will be way to busy to want to be with the boring old folks!!;)

Judy

• 1 month later...

Archived