Do I have to bring a car seat?

hqtang22

Hello, we are taking our baby who will be 8 months old on a cruise in December. And we are going to take a taxi from FLL airport to the port (we were told that they are really close). Do I have to bring a car seat with us for the taxi ride or can I just hold the baby? Thank you.

As I tell my children, when people get up in the morning, they never think they are going to get in an accident and be killed that day. It doesn't matter how close you are to the port! Why does this question get asked over and over on these boards? Surely, the minor inconvenience of having to haul a seat around outweighs the alternatives!

The laws of Florida require your child to be in a proper child restraint system:

What is Florida's Child Restraint Law?

All children 5 years of age or younger must be properly restrained no matter where they are sitting in the vehicle. Children through age 3 must be secured in a separate carrier or a vehicle manufacturer's integrated child safety seat. For children aged 4 through 5 years, a separate carrier, an integrated child safety seat, or a safety belt may be used. (FL Statute 316.613).

Yes, you need a car seat for that trip. There are shuttle companies that will bring a car seat for you when they pick you up, see another thread on this forum about whether that's a good idea or not.

Does your 8 month old need a car seat?

I would use the same one you will be using for the plane flight to Ft. Lauderdale airport.

Why would you fly in a plane without a car seat or think about traveling in a car without one?

Hope you and your infant have a SAFE trip!

Um yes! lol ;)

Are you planning on taking ANY transportation at the ports? You will need a car seat.

At that age it's easy because you can usually get away with bringing a carrier car seat that doubles as a nice place for them to rest during dinner.

The baby is 2 months old now? It will be rough to predict the baby's weight for December. So if the baby stays under 20lbs, bring a rear facing infant carrier seat.

Yes, from airport to port is 3 miles. But why risk it?

To share in my own personal experience (and probably will get flamed for sharing):

Last year we flew into FLL and took a shuttle to the port with our 14mo dd as well as another family with an almost 1yo dd without car seats. Yes, we traveld on the plane without car seats as well. It's not that uncommon.

I was just in Anaheim this past weekend taking my family to Disneyland. There are tons of shuttles serving all neighboring hotels that transport infants/toddlers without carseats. Just thought I share.

Happy cruising!

I don't know the FL law in regards to taxi's but I do know that it's not safe for an 8mos old to ride in a car w/out one. Personally, if I wouldn't do it at home I won't do it on vacation either. Bad things can happen anywhere, so why risk the most precious person in my life for convenience? Not to flame anyone, by the way, it's a parental decision... but if an accident occurred, it wouldn't even have to be a major one for a child to be significantly injured.

This site here has some more info about using car seats in taxis

http://www.thecarseatlady.com/taxis/using_taxis.html

check out the taxi videos on the last page. Those are eye openers.

You know, most choices parents have to make every day are not mandated by the government. But you still make that choice because it's the right and the safest choice to make.

Do I have to take my kids for their check ups at the doctor? No

Do I have to put a helmet on them when they ride their bikes? No

Did I have to put my babies on their backs to sleep to protect against SIDS? No

But I do these things anyway because it keeps them safe.

In Florida it is law that kids need to ride in car seats. Will you find drivers that won't ask...yep...probably. But it's not their child.

To share in my own personal experience (and probably will get flamed for sharing):

Last year we flew into FLL and took a shuttle to the port with our 14mo dd as well as another family with an almost 1yo dd without car seats. Yes, we traveld on the plane without car seats as well. It's not that uncommon.

I was just in Anaheim this past weekend taking my family to Disneyland. There are tons of shuttles serving all neighboring hotels that transport infants/toddlers without carseats. Just thought I share.

Happy cruising!

People do foolish and illegal things everyday and sometimes get away with it. But what happens when you don't?

Usually, those people are the first to try and blame everyone else and file lawsuits.

Bring the seat and keep your baby safe. You would never forgive yourself if something happened.

hqtang22Hello, we are taking our baby who will be 8 months old on a cruise in December. And we are going to take a taxi from FLL airport to the port (we were told that they are really close). Do I have to bring a car seat with us for the taxi ride or can I just hold the baby? Thank you.

Hi Hqtang22

Let me help you out!!! I travel all the time this is my first time ever with my DS who will be 12 months when we cruise and i have been doing alot investigating LOL!!!!

i did not purchase a seat for my son on the plane, since he was under 2 i decided to just pay the extra for he suitecase, and if there is an extra seat on the plane i will use it!!! I am flying Southwest in Aug from PVD-FLL it is a 3 hour flgiht i spoke to a customer srvs rep and this is what she told me, an infant 18 months and younger dont bother purchasing a seat there is usually always 1 open.

8 months old umm depending on how big the baby is my DS was 19lbs at 8 months but long and i changes his infant car sear to the reg car seat it was getting to heavy.

OPTIONS

1- Bring car carrier and base and purchase a seat!!!

2- Bring car carrier and base buy a travel bag for this and have it to use in the taxi-

I just bought for my son

if i do end up getting a seat

baby r us carry's this

Cares it is less then 6lbs and it is FAA approved for airplanes (cares Fly belt) better then strolling a baby seat around!!! this is about $70.00

For the car or bus

Walmart- or just google search this

Tote N' go 5 point harness (flat fits in a diaper bag) and this is $30.00

All depending if you travel alot (we) do and i also want another child so it is not a waiste of money!!! Hope this helps you people can be really rude on these boards sometimes so just wanted to help you out!!!! Need e-mail address for these just let me know dont have them on hand!!!!

Basically, we just want you to make an informed decision about your child's safety and are not out to judge anyone. Balance up the legalities, the safety issues, statistically probabilities and know all your options before deciding.

At 8 months, he might be pushing the infant bucket seat limit. A lot now are going to higher weights so it depends on both your child and the seat you have. Check your manual and make a predition on how big he'll be then.

Just to clarify some points;

1. The CARES harness can only be used on the airplane. This does not solve your taxi dilemma. For about half the price, you can get a good, solid, basic car seat, tha's FAA approved, and you can then use in your car (or use it for the in-laws, babysitter, etc.)

http://www.kidsflysafe.com/

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4083774

http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/crs/

2. If your child is still in the infant bucket seat when you leave, you probably wont need the base in the airplane. Most airline installments are without the base so leave it at home. One more thing to worry about and get lost. Since the belt installation is just as safe as with the base (or even more so according to some), use your travel system or get a stroller frame to wheel it around. This is useful for flying.

3. The tote-n-go is not loved by car seat techs, who point out various safety flaws. It's certainly better than nothing but I don't see the logic in purchasing two products with limited use for one trip.

If you plan on having more children and want a really useful travel product, consider this;

http://www.lillygold.com/

It's expensive but great for flying and taking taxis. Instead of more baby clothes for my second child, my family pooled and got me one of these instead.

Otherwise, I travel alone with three children a lot, including trans-Atlantics and I always have a car seat with us and it isn't really that big of a deal to bring one.

hth!

The Tote 'n Go and the CARES harness are also f/fing only for children who weigh minimum 20 or 22lbs. Children under one yr of age really need to be rear facing - their spines are not developed enough to be f/fing.

Sharon/eclipsepearl is correct, the TnG is not well loved by CPST's. HERE is a well-written review of it on epinions. For people looking at a lightweight travel option for older kids that are ffing, the Ride Safer Vest is a good option...the small starts at 35lbs. This tests extremely well and is highly rated by cpsts (as a niche type product). This is what I bought for my ds to use when we travel, but he is five. Just thought I'd mention it for anyone who may be lurking. For the OP if their LO has outgrown the infant carrier at 8mos then a good travel convertible (& a decent but basic seat for every day use) is the Cosco Scenera 5pt.).

hth!

p.s. Hi Sharon! It's me, Cheryl from traveling with children/BBC. :) Nice to see you over here too.

p.s. Hi Sharon! It's me, Cheryl from traveling with children/BBC. :) Nice to see you over here too.

BBC, as in Baby Center? :eek: They have a traveling with kids board? I had no idea!

I haven't been on BBC since my birth clubs broke off into other groups off of BBC.

Hmmm, have to go have a looksie. :)

We took our car seat along on our last cruise with our daughter (then 11 months). It was a pain to lug it around, but we needed it for the cab rides and we used it in the plane. We are considering leaving it at home for our next cruise (daughter will be 23 months) and renting a car seat from the rental car agency instead. Have no issue with holding our daughter in the rental car shuttles as there are generally no seat belts in these types of vehicles anyway. Have read both good and bad reviews of rental car car seats, but they generally seem "ok" when rented from one of the major agencies that will guarantee car seat availability. Looking into CARES for use on the flights. Anybody have any experience with rental car car seats?

BBC, as in Baby Center? :eek: They have a traveling with kids board? I had no idea!

I haven't been on BBC since my birth clubs broke off into other groups off of BBC.

Hmmm, have to go have a looksie. :)

Lol! yes, they're changing format. It's all very complicated. There are two sites going on at once and one is not open to the public. I'm actually the Multilingual Families host.

We really push this site if anyone says they're going on a cruise, on both traveling with children boards.

Hi Cheryl!

I have a Radian 65 which folds, This freature would be good for stowing in a cabin (perhaps under a bed). It's a FAA approved car seat which keeps your child in a harness newborn till 65lbs. It's skinny and fits well in airplane seats (they can use the tray table too). Only drawback, it's heavy! (25lbs.)

Just as a reminder that the Ride Safer Vest can't be used inflight. They need to come up with some better travel options for parents, don't they??

We really push this site if anyone says they're going on a cruise, on both traveling with children boards.

Oh good, then I am not missing all of the action. lol ;)

Ya know, sorry to go OT but I used to love that site until I started seeing the off shoot site that makes fun of the drama that people post on that board. I figure if I am going to post on a board, I want my comments on THAT board...not copy/pasted to another site for amusement.

c-cruise - what port are you flying into?

We took our car seat along on our last cruise with our daughter (then 11 months). It was a pain to lug it around, but we needed it for the cab rides and we used it in the plane. We are considering leaving it at home for our next cruise (daughter will be 23 months) and renting a car seat from the rental car agency instead. Have no issue with holding our daughter in the rental car shuttles as there are generally no seat belts in these types of vehicles anyway. Have read both good and bad reviews of rental car car seats, but they generally seem "ok" when rented from one of the major agencies that will guarantee car seat availability. Looking into CARES for use on the flights. Anybody have any experience with rental car car seats?

We have rented car seats with our car rentals (Budget, Avis) in New York, Orlando, Fort Lauderdale and Vancouver with no problems. Seats were always available. All the seats were fairly new and always clean. I have not experienced any smaller car rental agencies so I can't speak about them. We do inspect the car seats before installing and adjust the straps accordingly. There were instances when the rental agency provided someone to install the car seats as they have probably done it over and over again.

We cruised out of Ft.Lauderdale in Nov with our then 5 month old and no Taxi would take us without his car seat... so I was very glad that we brought it with us. Ft.Lauderdale and Miami are places that I would never be without a car seat or a seatbelt on for myself, very fast drivers and pretty aggressive in my opinion.

Bring the seat.

Have a great trip!

I'm not even going to get into the issue of whether you need a carseat for your child when traveling in a car or van as it really should be a no-brainer for any responsible parent. Sorry if some of you find it "rude" that I think you should take responsibility for safeguarding your child as well as obeying the law.

As far as airplane travel goes, although it's not a requirement, I can't imagine why you would take a very young child on a plane and not bring a carseat. Yes I know it costs more, but isn't it worth it for safety's sake? The recommendation is as follows:

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and the AAP recommend that when flying, children should be securely fastened in certified child restraints until 4 years of age, and then should be secured with the airplane seat belts. This will help keep them safe during takeoff and landing or in case of turbulence.

You know I realize that parenting isn't easy and we all make mistakes. I have never been the type of parent that judged others choices, but really using a car seat in a plane or car is just the right thing to do. It may add a little extra expense and effort, but it's not that difficult and it could save a child's life.

OK I'm off my soap box now.

I'm not even going to get into the issue of whether you need a carseat for your child when traveling in a car or van as it really should be a no-brainer for any responsible parent. Sorry if some of you find it "rude" that I think you should take responsibility for safeguarding your child as well as obeying the law.

As far as airplane travel goes, although it's not a requirement, I can't imagine why you would take a very young child on a plane and not bring a carseat. Yes I know it costs more, but isn't it worth it for safety's sake? The recommendation is as follows:

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and the AAP recommend that when flying, children should be securely fastened in certified child restraints until 4 years of age, and then should be secured with the airplane seat belts. This will help keep them safe during takeoff and landing or in case of turbulence.

You know I realize that parenting isn't easy and we all make mistakes. I have never been the type of parent that judged others choices, but really using a car seat in a plane or car is just the right thing to do. It may add a little extra expense and effort, but it's not that difficult and it could save a child's life.

OK I'm off my soap box now.

Karatemom,

Great post - not on a soap box.

It's amazing how many parents give up safety for convenience.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but Eddie Bauer makes a lightweight portable car seat that is about $50. I've been thinking about buying that for cruises and other vacations when you need to get into a cab.

c-cruise - what port are you flying into?

We are flying into MIA and out of MCO. Renting a car at MIA and dropping it off at FLL. Will drop off the family at the port then return the car and cab it back to the port myself. Then after the cruise we are renting a car at FLL and driving up to Orlando for 3 days at Universal. Flying out of MCO.

We are going to be gone for 14 days (10 day cruise) and would really like to leave the car seat behind if the ones at the rental car agencies are in good condition, clean, not expired, etc. Our car seat is a great big Britax one which is really a pain to travel with.

If you're concerned about the size of your Britax, think about buying a Scenera or even swapping seats with someone you know. You only have to get it on and off the ship so that shouldn't be a big deal. Plus, you probably need it on the flight. If you are going to rent a car for 3 days, it would be worth it.

Archived