Early Embarkation

Gail C

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there. The holiday starts when you get on board. i have found that early embarkation can be an advantage if you fly independently and have done a pre cruise stop over. it does allow you to book spa and other activities early and relax before the dreded life boat drill..

Regards

Hi there. The holiday starts when you get on board. i have found that early embarkation can be an advantage if you fly independently and have done a pre cruise stop over. it does allow you to book spa and other activities early and relax before the dreded life boat drill..

Regards

Thanks, I hadn't thought about having a "leg up" on the signups. It wouldn't hurt to have had a cocktail and lunch, as you say, before the "dreaded lifeboat drill". We live in Cal-lee-for-nea, so this is a wonderful option for us.

Remember, 60 days before sailing you can enter the SS website, click on My Voyage, put in your name and boarding number, and reserve both spa appointments and excursions. Some spa appointments are reserved for on board, but others, like massages and body wraps, can be reserved with a date and time early. Same with the excursions. So, you don't need to rely on boarding early for that purpose..........it is nice, though ......Iam doing that on our cruise leaving Aruba on Dec. You can board as early as 10:30 a.m., and why wait in a hotel until 3:00, when you can cab over early and enjoy lunch on board, and explore the ship. SS does say, however, that they don't guarantee your cabin will be ready that early.

Glenda

Purely a matter of personal choice ... I personally wouldn't pay the extra fee just to be on board for an extra couple of hours, prefering instead to spend that money in the port city and head over to the ship as soon as "normal" embarkation begins.

When we boarded the Shadow several weeks ago, we arrived right *behind* a full bus, & the process was still entirely painless. These ships aren't big enough for much of a line to form. My feeling is that you'll spend adequate time onboard over the coming days, and I would derive minimal additional utility by an extra couple of hours.

Don't fret over the need to sign up early for spa appointments or excursions - you can do almost all of these weeks ahead of time, *or* later on board. We added & changed both massage appointments & excursions at will over the 12-day trip. Also, the "dreaded" lifeboat drill lasts all of about 20 minutes, and is really just a precursor to the party ... everyone's in a great mood and looking forward to meeting one another.

Short answer: do what you want, but think seriously about using the time & money to add an *additional* experience to your trip, rather than just another lunch & glass of wine (trust me, you'll have ample supply of both over the coming days!). Whichever you decide ... enjoy!

Gail, as wsd says, it is a matter of personal choice. But, lets get our facts straight. You can board as early as 10:30. Normal embarc. time is 3:00. That is 4 1/2 hours, not 2 - also, you will probably have lunch that day. Why not have it on the ship with a glass of wine or a cold beer? Also, the more time in Aruba, the more time to spend money in the shops! - that $100 early embarc. fee savings just went pretty quickly!

Glenda

>>>Gail, as wsd says, it is a matter of personal choice<<<

Yes, personal choice for sure. We are embarking in San Diego. Being a native CA, I've seen all of San Diego there is to see and more. I'll be about 60 miles away from SD on embarkation day, so getting there by 10:30 AM is not a problem. So why hang around SD until 3PM or later? Plus we're just anxious. Regarding the cost, you're in this deep, what's another $200.?

Hopefully ending this discussion and moving on...We're on embarking early in Ft Lauderdale..hopefully arriving at 10:30am and beginning to enjoy the champagne, stone crabs claws and other delicious stuff as early as we can. If our suite isn't ready, then darn the bad luck...

As has been discussed...if $100 is a problem then you ain't on the right cruise! Enjoy your time and let us know how it went!!

Michael!

Archived