Cayman Island port set to open October 29th

cruisinqt

Over in the ports of call section here at CC, Cayman Island Marketing Group has just stated that the Cayman Island Government has tentatively set October 29th as the day to open the port for cruise ships. :D Wooohoooo!!!:D They will be allowing just 2 or 3 ships the first week, then 4 or 5 ships the second week, then back to normal after that. As soon as the Cayman Island Government lists which ships will be allowed to come to the port when it opens, Matteo at Cayman Island Marketing, will post it for us in the ports of call section. For those of you that aren't familiar with Cayman Island Marketing group, they do stingray tours along with several other tours on Grand Cayman. They say that the Cayman Island Government has told them to be ready for cruise ships as of October 29th because that is the tentative date to reopen the port. Oh, happy day!:D :D

Odds are we won't be one of the few ships permitted the first week. But, I'm glad that Grand Cayman is recovering fast enough to begin reopening plans! Thanks for posting it here. When our TA received word that GC was cancelled, I stopped reading the GC threads.

My cruise leaves on Oct. 31st and I doubt we will be one of the ships allowed to visit GC because our ship is so big, plus GC was taken off of our itinerary on our personal planner on Carnival's website. But I was hoping that this was a surprise for the cruise lines and they took GC off of the itinerary because they didn't expect GC to make such a quick recovery. Someone will be allowed to visit those first few weeks, maybe we will be pleasantly surprised.:) I hope Matteo from Cayman Island Marketing posts which ships are scheduled to dock there soon. The suspense is killing me!!!:eek:

I just visited caymannews.net which is an online news agency in Grand Cayman. They said divers have reported that most of the major sections of the reefs are okay which is great news.:) Officials are also reporting that the sandbars are bigger with more sand dumped on them and 10 stingrays were sighted. Three of the larger ones were regulars that the locals are familiar with. So it sounds like the stingrays came through okay which is really good news. I was a little worried about them.:(

Archived