crew left ship before passengers

Calker

the snorkeling excursion boat off the coast of Cancun was rated for 100 people - there were over 200 passengers on board

someone yelled that the boat was sinking - the crew threw lifejackets and someone yelled "save yourself" and the crew jumped off the ship without helping the passengers or giving directions

one high school student, Lisa Chung died after getting trapped under a rescue boat

the tone of the report from Dallas is so different from the tone of the GMA broadcast

the students that were interviewed were the ones who gave the figures of over 200 on the ship and the crew leaving without helping

horrible tragedy -

The entire incident is sad :( I can't imagine the nightmares the parents of this young lady must have. It sounds like it should have been a simple rescue but the two girls got trapped under the rescue boat and only one made it out from under the boat :( I'm sure more of the story will come out as the investigation continues.

the snorkeling excursion boat off the coast of Cancun was rated for 100 people - there were over 200 passengers on board

someone yelled that the boat was sinking - the crew threw lifejackets and someone yelled "save yourself" and the crew jumped off the ship without helping the passengers or giving directions

one high school student, Lisa Chung died after getting trapped under a rescue boat

A snorkeling boat?

You made it sound like a cruise ship.

And yes...this is very sad. :(

when I first posted I went off the info from the promo from GMA

my second post is my notes from the intereview with two students, still photos, and film footage

sorry if I mislead anyone -

I read there were 120 on board & the boat was rated for 200. My daughter knows someone whose friend's daughter was on that boat. They got a call from the hospital in Mexico saying their daughter was brain dead & did they want them to pull the plug. Yeah, 'cause I'd make that decision over the phone & thousands of miles away. My kids never went on those senior trips & now I'm thankful. I know, thousands of kids go with no incidents, but....

My kids never went on those senior trips & now I'm thankful. I know, thousands of kids go with no incidents, but....

I have 3 in high school and they will not be going on senior trips either. I'll be happy to take them and their friends on a trip, but no "senior trips" for my kiddos......

I have 3 in high school and they will not be going on senior trips either. I'll be happy to take them and their friends on a trip, but no "senior trips" for my kiddos......

Never, ever, never, never, never would I send my high school seniors on a "senior trip" to anywhere. They are not mature enough to make responsible decisions, and even if they are "chaperoned", one adult per 30 kids is not going to help. It is a bit different when HS groups go on organized tours, choir trips, etc. They have itineraries and such, and their main purpose of the tour is cultural, not just to celebrate and party.

I will be happy to take my kids on a special vacation when they graduate, but you can bet I won't be sending them off with 200 of their buddies to a foreign country to party.

don't forbid your kids the chance to go on a senior trip - do as I did - I was one of the volunteer chaperones :D

the three trips I went on were great - I actually got to know and become very close to several of the students - they still keep in touch to this day

I'm with the majority here. When my youngest was graduating I asked several months ahead of time where he would like to go for his SR. trip he said Colorado so DH,DS and I drove to CO. That was one of our best vacations we had as a family.:)

I'm with the majority here. When my youngest was graduating I asked several months ahead of time where he would like to go for his SR. trip he said Colorado so DH,DS and I drove to CO. That was one of our best vacations we had as a family.:)

SORRY FOR THE REPEATS. COMPUTER ACTING STUPID TODAY.:eek:

I don't feel bad that my girls didn't go on a 'senior trip'. Since those were not school sponsored trips, I was concerned about the number of chaperones, if any, that were going. I just didn't have that warm fuzzy feeling about them. They both went on trips with choir & drill team to NYC as well as cruises. They really weren't interested in going for some reason. I guess they didn't have any close friends going.

Sorry, I'm from birmingham and we will always grieve for Natalie Hollaway. I suppose all "chaperoned" senior trips are different but most have "chaperones" that are there to get kids out of trouble, not prevent trouble. 18 yo kids, without adult guidance and with lots of alcohol are recipes for disaster. You have to let them go..to college, marriage, etc., but while I had a say so, i didn't allow an unsupervised "senior trip". Natalie was just one, but one too many.

Donna

A snorkeling boat?

You made it sound like a cruise ship.

And yes...this is very sad. :(

The above poster is right, you did make it sound like a cruise ship and that was uncalled for IMHO. And yes, it is very sad, now I would like to know this. Was the snorkling boat a private excursion? If so, then it has nothing to do with the cruise line. Was it a ship's excursion? That IS another issue altogether.

The Natalie thing hit close to home with me too.

She was born here and she was the same age as my kids.

This is a tragedy too.

Such a beautiful girl and an honor student.

So much potential...

Same here, she was in band like my kids in a rival school. And, being I spent 6 years chaperoning band students all over the US..they were good, smart kids but I couldn't even trust them to pay attention while crossing the street in Chicago! I can't imagune these same kids in a foreign port with alcohol consumption expected and encouraged.

Donna

From the news report. The girl that drowned got trapped under a rescue boat. She and her friend jumped into the water wearing life jackets and came up under a rescue boat. Very sad that the one girl lost her life. But blows the story of the crew abandoning the pax. If she had a life jacket and the rescue boat was there before she could surface after jumping in the water, when did the crew have time to abandon anybody?

Dan

Archived