OSJ 7A-2P Wed with Kids -- What's good to do?

Funcouple

We'll be coming in on Royal Caribbean EOS -- most likely we'll be out at the industrial pier. Taxi directly to Cristobol and start there.

Cristobol will definately be a stop (El Morro will be too big for this group).

We will want to stop for an authentic PR food stop (casual and local). Any thoughts?

I read about flying kites at El Morro -- where do you get a kite locally?

Any other must sees? We will need to take a cab back to the ship by 1pm for our 2pm departure. Not much time!~

Hi

If you want to grab breakfast head to La Bombonera - one of the oldest restaurants / cafe in OSJ and they have traditional PR breakfast foods.

Other place to consider Raices for lunch

Forts will cost you $3 each and they do offer ranger tours or just wander around on your own.

On a weekend, there are usually roadside carts selling food and kites, not sure about during the week, but would imagine if a ship is in town, they will be around also - others might confirm this.

Check out the cathedral near the hotel El Convento and maybe head through the San Juan gate and wabder along the Paseo La Princesa promenade - this will take you back towards the OSJ cruise ship piers (if you have the time)

Other ideas - take a horse & carriage ride, do a segway tour

More info and ideas at my travel guide www.visit-the-coqui.com

When I was on Explorer we docked downtown - is that what you mean by industrial pier? The RCL weekly cruises from San Juan leave from across the harbor, but I think the day stop cruises come in downtown.

I've see references to a free shuttle bus of some sort on this thread. That could cut your transportation costs.

Old San Juan is really small - walking around is part of it's charm.

When I was on Explorer we docked downtown - is that what you mean by industrial pier? The RCL weekly cruises from San Juan leave from across the harbor, but I think the day stop cruises come in downtown..

Wow, I like the docking at the downtown pier! I really hope that is the case for us too! Thanks.

If it is a day stop then you will probably be at the Old san Juan Piers.

From here you can take the free trolley (make sure u get on the walk marked El Morro) and this will take you past san Cristobel fort (jump off here if you want to check it out) - the trolley then heads to El Morro - it will actually take you all the way to the entrance.

From El Morro you can head back downhill through Old san Juan

I believe you should dock at Pier 4 right in down town OSJ.

From there you can easily walk (or if the "forts" trolley is there- get on it) to San Cristobal fort. Kids will get free admission.

From San Cristobal, you can easily walk (or trolley again) to El Morro. There is a guy that has large cart right across from the fountain (get off trolley at stops 22/23) that is always there and has those cheap plastic kites for sale. We always just walk up the lawn (and to the left of the main walkway) an find "dead" kites (ones that got away from someone else. We fly those for free!

El Jibarito is real local food very casual and inexpensive, and close to San Cristobal fort.

There are a number of other places for "local" food. Raices is close to the cruise pier, Mofongos is less expensive tahn Raices and right across form the cruise pier.

There are a number of museums and shops along the way back to the cruise ship, if you choose to walk. Younger Kids generally like feeding the pigeons at pigeon park.

Info so you get on the correct trolley:

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/2007/12/18/hop-aboard-the-free-trolley-in-old-san-juan/

other stuff to do and OSJ info at :

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/category/oldsanjuan/

I would love to do the rainforest -- would it be worthwhile considering the time constraints?

You can totally go to the rainforest in that time.

Rent a car from someone that will pick you up/drop off at the pier (Charlie's or Enterprise or Hertz .

Then it is an easy drive to the rainforest- RT 26 to RT 66 to RT 3 to RT 191 into the forest. Takes about 1 hr to get there.

You will get there earlier than all those tour buses, so La Mina falls won't be as busy.

Just make sure you leave by 12n or so to make sure you are back on time.

My information about the rainforest- start with Rainforest 101 and then pick your route:

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/category/rainforest/

In Old San Juan, there are many good authentic restaurants. Go to Mofongos, Parrot Club. I would not recommend Raices, the food is not good, very expensive and the service is horrible. The restaurant looks really pretty but it is not worth it. If you have been sitting down for 45 minutes having drinks, and appetizers and you have not ordered your entree, they rush you to order and without hesitation, they tell you that it affects their productivity (even though the restaurant is not full). If in one hour and a half, you have not finished eating, they bring you the check, without even asking if you want desserts. If you complain about it, when you finish and leave the restaurant, they applaud you! (how rude). This is not where you want to spend a nice time in Old San Juan. Go to Mofongos, Parrot Club instead, or any other place, you will be treated better.

Archived