Tipping

kimbiak

Can anyone offer me advice on tipping policy for a dive/snorkel trip!! Do you tip the divemaster, snorkel guide and crew driving the boat? What is appropriate for each??

Thanks,

Kim

When I go scuba diving most dive operators will have a jar for tips that get split among the crew. I generally will tip about $5.00 to $10.00, depending on the service. If I have to throw my fins on the deck and pull myself up, I won't be too generous (scuba equipment is heavy when out of water). On the other hand, if they're there when I'm getting back on board, taking my fins and weight belt, helping to steady me climbing on board, helping to get me to a seat while I have the tank on my back, offering a drink or something to eat, then I'll tip towards the high end of that range.

I agree with Orcrone. We usually tip $5-10 ($10-20 total for my DH and I) for the crew for diving on an average sized boat. We do have a private charter scheduled for one of our upcoming dives and if the service is outstanding, we'll definitely be tipping on the upper end of the that scale.

However, when we snorkel, and if we're on a big boat, we tip $5 for the 2 of us.

I tip $10 to the divemaster and $10 to the captain. Now sometimes this changes. If you have multiple divemasters, you want to tip both of them. For example, when we are in Cozumel we will only dive with Deep Blue Cozumel. Last year, my mom and her busband went and they snorkled while four of us went diving. They tipped the captain but they also tipped the divemaster because of how friendly and helpful he was. In the end its up to you, but I would suggest to plan on tipping at least the divemaster $10 per person.

I agree with the above tippers:) .

I generally tip $5 to the Divemaster, $5 to the Captain. If a tip Jar and more than the divemaster and captain, I tip $15-$20.

Having said all that, one dive I tipped nothing because no help was offered by either the dive master or captain. The dive master only dictated terms of the dive: depth, time, water temp. and current. We had to rig our own gear, get it on, get into and out of the water ourselves, and get the gear off.

a minimal tip is $5; if you get really stellar service, $10 is appreciated and more if you can do it.

it amazes me how few divers tip - and how appreciative the crew is when you remember them (while they have jobs we all envy, they have bills and living expenses just like the rest of us).

I agree with the above tipping guidelines. The most important thing IS TO TIP though. These people are living the dream on a shoestring. I have a friend that used to run a dive operation. They don't make much money. They do it for the love of it. You are an ass if you do not tip these people!

• 4 weeks later...

Tipping boat crew is just like eating in a restaurant. Good service should be tipped at 15-20 percent of your ticket price. Please don't be that guy that brings on your whole family and then hands over a 5 dollar bill to be split 3 ways. These guys have to eat and pay bills just like you do.

You should always tip for good service, whether you book independently or through the cruise line. The cruiselines contract their diving excursions, so it's a private operator taking you out. When we've had exceptional service, we always tell the staff in addition to our tips.

I usually tip $15-20 upfront, and let them know what I would like them to do. As a woman, when I cruise, I get nails put on for the cruise, which makes it hard to get the equipment ready. Consequently, once I let them know I can in fact do the work, they usually do it for me and make sure my next tank is ready for me. I know it sounds lazy, but it works for me, and they like the big tip.

agree with BullinOhio - $5 pp per tank for decent service

at some places where only you and spouse are diving you can also offer to buy them lunch especially if fresh fish has come in that day - makes for a fun afternoon

Archived