Advise on Non-Citizen Concern - Please!

rdrseller

Ok, we sail next Saturday on the Glory. My daughters friend is not a US Citizen, but does have a Green Card (Resident Alien Card). I contacted each of the countries that we are visiting, Bahamas, St. Thomas and St. Martian and established that she did not required any additional documentation.

I am just really worried that we will get to the port and there will have been a change in what they except for her to board the ship. There was that small fine print that said requirements can change and are the responsibility of the travelor.

I do not know what we would do if we get to the ship and they won't let her board. Has anyone ever had this happen? I am getting really paranoid!

Thanks,:confused:

I work for an airline and can verify the documents required to enter each country. What citizenship does she hold?

THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

She is a Columbian, but does hold a US Resident Alien Card.

I verified all three cities. She will need her passport, alien registration card and cruise ticket (i.e. Sign and Sail card)

You can bank on that info. If it were to be wrong and we boarded a passenger upon arrival the passenger is deported and we are fined. The fines start at a quarter of a million dollars, so they are VERY good about keeping that updated. ;)

National COLOMBIA (CO) /Residence U.S.A. (US)

Destination BAHAMAS (BS)

vi_de.gif

BAHAMAS (BS)

in_on_no.gif

Passport required.

Visa not required for a max. stay of 30 days, provided

holding Permanent Resident/Resident Alien Card (Form I-551).

Visitor must hold:

- return or onward ticket; and

- sufficient funds; and

- all documents required for next destination.

Exempt from holding return/onward tickets are those visitors

arriving to meet up with a:

- cruise ship: who should hold tickets for their cruise; or

- yacht: who should hold a letter stating they are doing so.

National COLOMBIA (CO) /Residence U.S.A. (US)

Destination NETHERLANDS ANTILLES (AN)

vi_de.gif

NETHERLANDS ANTILLES (AN)

in_on_no.gif

Passport (must be valid throughout period of intended stay)

required; or

- Permanent Resident/Resident Alien Card (Form I-551); or

- U.S. Re-entry Permit.

Visa not required if holding proof of residence and coming

for a stay of max. 14 days.

If stay exceeds 14 days but will be less than 30 days, a

Certificate of Admission for a temporary stay can be

obtained upon arrival.

Visitor must hold:

- return/through tickets; and

- other documents for next destination; and

- sufficient funds.

Exempt are those entering under guarantee of a company

operating in the Netherlands Antilles.

Certain nationals are required to hold funds of at least USD

150.- per day of stay.

I truely appreciate you providing this information. It really has put me at ease. I had tried to verify all of the needed information, but just worried that I didn't know enough about the process of non-citizens to be sure.

Again, THANK YOU!

Ok, we sail next Saturday on the Glory. My daughters friend is not a US Citizen, but does have a Green Card (Resident Alien Card). I contacted each of the countries that we are visiting, Bahamas, St. Thomas and St. Martian and established that she did not required any additional documentation.

I am just really worried that we will get to the port and there will have been a change in what they except for her to board the ship. There was that small fine print that said requirements can change and are the responsibility of the travelor.

I do not know what we would do if we get to the ship and they won't let her board. Has anyone ever had this happen? I am getting really paranoid!

Thanks,:confused:

Those holding a "green" card, or residency card are REQUIRED to also maintain a valid, up-to-date passport from the country of citizenship. Make sure he brings his valid passport. The Green card only shows he has a right to maintain residency in the U.S....it isn't "proof of citizenship" that is required to enter the U.S.

If he doesn't have a valid passport, his residency status is in jeopardy. He will also have great difficulty upon re-entering the U.S.

From U.S. State Department Immigration website:

"Being a Permanent Resident of the United States you can travel without restraint outside the U.S. To reenter the U.S., you must present your Green Card and Passport from your country of citizenship for readmission if the trip duration is less than one year"

It doesn't matter what the Bahamas or any other island requires. His problem is getting back into the U.S.

a followup question Maxamus.

On another thread, someone had the exact same question with 1 little curveball added.

The "Resident- Alien Greencard holder" does not have a passport from their home country. They are in the US under a "Political Assylum" situation.

Any problems that you can see with them traveling on a cruise such as the OP is doing?

a followup question Maxamus.

On another thread, someone had the exact same question with 1 little curveball added.

The "Resident- Alien Greencard holder" does not have a passport from their home country. They are in the US under a "Political Assylum" situation.

Any problems that you can see with them traveling on a cruise such as the OP is doing?

Hmmm that is indeed a curve ball. Let me go get "the book" and see what i can find.

Ok to paraphrase the book stateless persons/refugees should have non-national paperwork stating that they are currently stateless. Each nation can accept or decline that paperwork.

So im guessing that the person would have paperwork from the US State department or INS stating they are currently stateless. Other nations can accept that as a passport or not. Its up to each individual nation.

If it were me i would advise them to get something in writting from each nation stating that they would accept the person for entry into their nation with said paperwork.

Carnival like a airline can be fined HUGE amounts of money for transporting a passenger without proper travel documents. So Carnival might just deny this passenger passage because its so ify.

Hope that helps out.

Those holding a "green" card' date=' or residency card are REQUIRED to also maintain a valid, up-to-date passport from the country of citizenship. Make sure he brings his valid passport. The Green card only shows he has a right to maintain residency in the U.S....it isn't "proof of citizenship" that is required to enter the U.S.

If he doesn't have a valid passport, his residency status is in jeopardy. He will also have great difficulty upon re-entering the U.S.

"Being a Permanent Resident of the United States you can travel without restraint outside the U.S. To reenter the U.S., you must present your Green Card and Passport from your country of citizenship for readmission if the trip duration is less than one year"

It doesn't matter what the Bahamas or any other island requires. His problem is getting back into the U.S.[/quote']

Thanks for the follow up, but we are good there. She does have her passport from Columbia and her resident alien card and a drivers permit.

thanks to all for the great information.

Maxamuus,

Our son is bringing a friend with us next month when we cruise. He lives in North Carolina, but is from Switzerland. He is not a us citizen yet. We will have his passport, green card, permission form from his parents that will be notorized with us. Do we need anything else?

Thanks

hi everyone my husband is a non-citizen and when we cruised in 04 they actually took his green card at the port and held it till he got back. now with the new regulations we are a little unsure of what will happen although we are sure they will take his green card again.. which is why he got a passport from his home country and also has his drivers license with him. last cruise it was no big deal going from port to port. this time i'm not sure? but hopefully we will be prepared for anything. ;) just thought i'd add my two little cents :) have fun!

Me too~~~~:)

My DIL had to have her green card, passport/visa (Philippines), and she took her CA ID card.

This was in 2007 on RCCL in the Caribbean.

I researched everything carefully, because she has had a seizure, and if anything happened on the cruise, and she needed to be hospitalized or airlifted to the US, she would have needed a passport/visa for that.

Pat

Those holding a "green" card' date=' or residency card are REQUIRED to also maintain a valid, up-to-date passport from the country of citizenship. Make sure he brings his valid passport. The Green card only shows he has a right to maintain residency in the U.S....it isn't "proof of citizenship" that is required to enter the U.S.

It doesn't matter what the Bahamas or any other island requires. His problem is getting back into the U.S.[/quote']

Where does it say that you need to have a valid passport in order to remain a permanent resident?

Archived