Summit Med Cruise, Port or Starboard??

SunFunCruiser

Hello!

Can someone tell me which side of the ship would be best to view the ports, especially Venice while there over night? This is our Itinerary.

DAY DATE PORT ARRIVE DEPART

Thu Jul 9 Venice, Italy

Fri Jul 10 Venice, Italy 3:00pm

Sat Jul 11 Split, Croatia 7:00am 5:00pm

Sun Jul 12 At Sea

Mon Jul 13 Athens (Piraeus), Greece 7:00am 7:00pm

Tue Jul 14 Santorini, Greece 7:00am 7:00pm

Wed Jul 15 At Sea

Thu Jul 16 Naples / Capri (Sorrento), Italy 7:00am 7:00pm

Fri Jul 17 Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy 7:00am 7:00pm

Sat Jul 18 Florence / Pisa (Livorno), Italy 7:00am 7:00pm

Sun Jul 19 Nice (Villefranche), France 7:00am 8:00pm

Mon Jul 20 At Sea

Tue Jul 21 Barcelona, Spain 5:00am

Thanks so much for any info!!

Based on overhead pictures of the port (Google Earth), and the general direction of the cruise route, I selected a cabin on the starboard side. I think it gives us a view over Venice while in port, and will be on the coast side of the ship (North, in this case) for more than half of the sea days.

This is speculation on my part, as we don't actually board the ship until August 3rd. I guess we'll see then!!

Yes, I think it's the same route. We're scheduled to board on August 3rd in Venice and off in Barcelona on the 15th. Yeehaw! Can't wait. We've been on a bunch of cruises but this is the first one in Europe, and it's our 25th Anniversary on August 13th. :rolleyes:

Yes, I think it's the same route. We're scheduled to board on August 3rd in Venice and off in Barcelona on the 15th. Yeehaw! Can't wait. We've been on a bunch of cruises but this is the first one in Europe, and it's our 25th Anniversary on August 13th. :rolleyes:

Well, Happy Anniversary! That is a great way to celebrate! We are going for my parent's 50th anniversary!

I will be anxiously awaiting your report when you get back!

• 2 months later...

So, we're back from a wonderful cruise. For our sailing, it appears that I guessed the correct side of the ship for Venice. I have posted a bunch of photos from the cruise, including a couple of shots from the balcony of cabin 7158 (Starboard side, aft). As you can see, there's not really a view into Venice from the port, despite being on the "correct" side of the ship.

Check out http://good-times.webshots.com/album/565510557NHDaZd

So, we're back from a wonderful cruise. For our sailing, it appears that I guessed the correct side of the ship for Venice. I have posted a bunch of photos from the cruise, including a couple of shots from the balcony of cabin 7158 (Starboard side, aft). As you can see, there's not really a view into Venice from the port, despite being on the "correct" side of the ship.

Check out http://good-times.webshots.com/album/565510557NHDaZd

Okay, so Starboard was the correct side. lol

I have changed my staterooms so many times, I cannot even remember what side I'm on now. I ended up not having any choice because only one side of the ship has inside and balcony cabins. I have to check which side it ended up being.

I'm going to look at your pix now.

with this itineray and liked having starboard cabins. For the sail out of Venice we were not in our cabins anyway, so for that it did not really matter. In fact, the helipad was open and that provided great viewing. Just remember to stand on port side if you go out - when capt. is backing ship out, most people think the right side will have the better view, but once out in open water, everyone realizes and by then, port side is pretty much taken up...Most of the other ports where the ship is actually docked at the port, are pretty unattractive, so I would not pick a cabin based on that. In the tender ports, our side of the ship had nice views of the villages/towns. Another nice thing was that for most sailaways, the ship would head south first so the starboard side usually had great sunset views.

We did this itinerary in June on the Summit. The ship was docked with the starboard side facing Venice. However, the ship backed out of the dock and sailed out with the port side facing Venice. No matter which way the ship docks, it's going to sail away with Venice on the port side. So I agree with 42trvl, that the port side has the best view for sailaway.

Having said that, you want to be out on deck for the sailaway in any event.

FWIW, here's a link to my review:http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=43890

--Junglejane

Check out http://good-times.webshots.com/album/565510557NHDaZd[/quot

Thanks for the great photos. Some are very reminiscent of our tour in Rome, Venice and Florence years ago. But others like Dubrovnik and Greece are new to us. We are thinking of this cruise in 09. As someone else asked, did you tour on your own, or did you use ship's or private tours?

Archived