First time Alaska cruise with parents

cruise-Z

I love the outdoors and consider myself adventurous but have never been on a cruise.

My parents are visiting me from India and I want to take them on a cruise to Alaska. There is so much information out there about Alaska cruises that its difficult for me to really narrow down to what cruise tour to select.

I need help in finding a great first cruise experience from Seattle. A 7-10 nights roundtrip would be ideal I think.

Which one is better? the inside passage cruise or the Gulf of Alaska tour?

What cruiseline would be best for my not-so-acclimated parents to enjoy? Seattle these past two weeks has been damp and cold and I 'd want to take them someplace with less depressing weather.

I read 'best tour of a lifetime' and such on many alaska cruise experience forums but wouldnt one get tired of endless white scapes throughout the tour?

I am trying to show my family a good time and want to ensure that the cruise tour we pick is perfect for us.

All suggestions , advice and tips on things to do, best cruiselines and itinerarys appreciated.

Thanks!

I think folks have been slow to respond to your post because what you are asking for is a pretty daunting task!

My best suggestion to you is to contact a reputable travel agent in Seattle and have them do the leg work for you. Explain to them what you want...what you want to achieve for your parents...etc and let them come back with your options all laid out.

It sounds from your posting that you be planning to go this season....you should be aware that the Alaska cruise is one of the most popular itineraries for all the cruise lines, so the good cabins, excursions, etc. tend to book up very early in the year. This is not to say that you won't be able to find one...just that your choices may be limited somewhat.

Don't worry about Alaska being one whitescape after another. Nothing could be further from the truth. If you want to see glaciers you have to go and find them...just like you have to go and find the bears...moose...whales...huge mountain scenery...etc.

Good luck with your planning!

most of the round-trips are 7 days...

juneau, skagway, ketchikan and other ports are all part of the inside passage...every alaska cruise ship sails some of the inside passage. only the 1-way cruises between vancouver and seward/whittier (mainland alaska) sail through the gulf of alaska.

a round-trip cruise, out of seattle, can be very nice...less hassle for you.

a nice time on the ship and interesting ports.:D

Thanks TCF and Cathi.

I know its a daunting task- I take refreshment breaks after typing about every two words:).

I met with an agent briefly and discussed some inner passage tours. He was helpful and offered some discounts on excursion trips if we book 'em via his company.

I am to meet him again tommorrow and want to be able to compare what he quotes to what the best excursions are.

Also, when people talk about 'lodging', what do they mean? for a 7-10 days cruise, would any excursion last more than a day?

By excursion I understand, helicopter, boat rides to places of interest, things like kayak rentals at these POIs and the like.

I will be searching for more on excursions right after this.

What are some good excursions for a typical 7-10 day inside passage cruise?

Thanks for all the help.

What cruiseline would be best for my not-so-acclimated parents to enjoy? Seattle these past two weeks has been damp and cold and I 'd want to take them someplace with less depressing weather.

You may want to set their expectations that the weather in Alaska can be “damp and cold” as you’ve described Seattle. It’s very inconsistent. You may get sunny 60+ degree weather or cold, wet and 40 degrees. Our Alaska cruises have been very good weather-wise but on each, we’ve experienced both extremes. Still had an incredible time though.

Thanks CowPrincess, will definitely go whale watching.

Thanks Chilkoot. They have seen a little bit of the weather pattern with Seattle's weather. We are now not so concerned about the weather and actually looking forward to book the tour.

One thing to look at is itinerary, especially in Alaska.

For example, if glacier viewing is a priority, you have better likelihood of good glacier viewing at Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier over Tracy Arm. Out of Seattle, look at the HAL ships, NCL Pearl, or Celebrity Infinity. HAL Westerdam has a particularly good itinerary with a visit to Glacier Bay plus a long port time in Juneau which would allow a small boat tour to Tracy Arm.

Hi Wrona , Thanks for the tip on the itinerary. An important facet to consider.

We most definitely want to view/explore glaciers.

Besides that the airplane tour of the Misty Fjords National Monument and Musher's Camp and Sled Dog Experience sounds really good.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/article.cfm?ID=91

what other excursions are an absolulte must for families?

Also are all glacier tours this expensive($370/pp)?

Chir

Archived