Packing question.

I pack everything in Ziplocs too. Quart or Gallon size for bras, panties, socks, sunscreen, toiletries > 3 oz, etc. Shorts, tees, cocktail dresses, etc go in the L size bags (2.5 or 3 gal), and I have one poofier dress that requires the XL bag. This cuts down on wrinkles, makes it easier if TSA wants to look, saves the clothes if there's rain while they're loading the luggage on the plane/ship (or if they drop the suitcase in the water:eek:). I did have something weird happen on my last cruise. I packed more panties than I needed (always better to have more than not enough, plus they're small). I had one ziploc with 8 pair in my carry-on, and another in my checked back with 8 pair. TSA went through my checked bag and my bag of panties is gone:confused: :mad:! I would like to think it was an oversight and they just forgot to put it back in. I mean, if they wanted to steal something, why not my expensive dresses or tops? And, who would want somebody else's underwear:rolleyes:? I was just glad it was just my panties and not one of my dresses because I still had plenty of panties, and they're a lot easier and cheaper to replace!

I always fly in the day before a cruise. I'll rearrange my carry-on so that I have ALL my toiletries in my carry-on, not just the 3 oz ones since it doesn't matter to the cruise lines.

I think I'm just going to dress in layers when boarding the plane, all undies then swimsuit then tops then bottoms and then ....... for a little pizzazz I'll end with my formal wear! Wait, I forgot the jewelry....I may have to get my ears pierced a few more times but hey, it'll be worth it won't it? That should bring me down nicely to a carry on and God help the poor person that has to pat me down when the alarm goes off at the security gate!

Yes but then you will be charged for a second seat! :o

I get everything into one large suit case, including my snorkeling gear and extra carry on for things I buy.

I pack for a 7 day cruise

4 shorts and 8 tshirts

2 slacks and 4 tops for dinner

1 black skirt and 2 tops for formal

undies and such

2 bathing suits

1 visor

and HBA's

for shoes, I wear my tennis shoes, and pack flip flops.

I carry on my laptop, camera, chargers and such in my back pack. I use the back pack when we get off the ship to carry camera and beach stuff.

the key for me is multi use items.

I am never over the limit and have a great time! oh and I do laundry just because:D

We did bring a travel steamer made by Samsonite that worked awesome! http://www.amazon.com/Samsonite-Dual-Voltage-Garment-Steamer/dp/B000MN9DA8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1213538124&sr=8-1 In case someone is interested. It's very small and light just a little over a pound in it's original package.

Back to the OP Space Saver bags would be great if you do as the others reccomend with rolling the air out of them. Weight is a bigger issue if you use those BUT 50 pounds is quite a bit of clothing to begin with for the average sized person.

FWIW, I found TRAVEL space bags (yes, you roll out the air) at a Totes outlet store if anyone is interested.

Thanks, too for the steamer link. I have a steamer that is portable, but will check this out to see if they are smaller than what I have.

I roll everything and found that it takes up less space and wrinkles are kept at a minimum. Last cruise we took, DH and I each had a carryon and we had plenty of space.

I guess I'm not understanding. You roll, blouses, t-shirts, slacks? And they don't come out all wrinkled? I try to lay them flat or put in Zip locks, but I am curious. Please explain.

I guess I'm not understanding. You roll, blouses, t-shirts, slacks? And they don't come out all wrinkled? I try to lay them flat or put in Zip locks, but I am curious. Please explain.

I've always rolled my clothes and have not had problems with wrinkles.

There are a few peices I don't roll like DH's suit jacket and dress shirts. Yet again, I'm not really worried about wrinkles while on vacation:D .

I guess I am weird, but if I were going to use zip lock gallon size bags, I would pack each outfit of clothes in a seperate bag. Then all I would have to do is pull out a bag and put it on.

But I don't do bags. I do fold my clothes in complete sets and since my DH and I share a suitcase, I use one half, he has the other half of the suitcase.

Fortunately I don't have the problem with airline luggage as we are driving to Galveston. I still don't want to over pack as I am prone to doing this, even on a camping trip for the weekend. I have decided that I am going to do one of the best tips I have gotten on this website. I am going to pack about two weeks prior to the cruise. Each day I am going to the suitcase and eliminate one thing that I really don't need until the day before we depart. By that time I should have my suitcase down to a manageable level. Will it work? I have no idea but it makes sense. If you wait until the last minute to pack you are going to pack too much. I do this in the grocery store as well. The longer I am in the store the more things I put back on the counters. If you give yourself the time to really think about it, you should be alright. I'm crossing my fingers. So is my husband. :D

Okay, this is what happens every time we travel: I'm very careful not to take too much, roll everything in Space Bags, (I use Pack Mate brand) only take a couple pairs of shoes, etc, etc, but it never all fits. So then the rest just goes in my DH's bag. :) He's used to it by now. In England I squeezed a whole sheep's fleece in a pack mate and carried it home in my DH's bag.

Here's your groaner for the day: My DH found travel/camping underwear at REI. They're bacteria resistant and wick moisture away from the body so they can be worn for several days before washing. :eek: :eek: They can be washed in the sink then rolled in a towel and are almost completely dry.

On our May cruise to Alaska we had to take warm coats and sweaters but it was still cold out so we were just going to wear them aboard. Well, it was 86 degrees on sail-away day:p Definitely had to do some fancy repacking to get the coats in bags.

Fortunately I don't have the problem with airline luggage as we are driving to Galveston. I still don't want to over pack as I am prone to doing this, even on a camping trip for the weekend. I have decided that I am going to do one of the best tips I have gotten on this website. I am going to pack about two weeks prior to the cruise. Each day I am going to the suitcase and eliminate one thing that I really don't need until the day before we depart. By that time I should have my suitcase down to a manageable level. Will it work? I have no idea but it makes sense. If you wait until the last minute to pack you are going to pack too much. I do this in the grocery store as well. The longer I am in the store the more things I put back on the counters. If you give yourself the time to really think about it, you should be alright. I'm crossing my fingers. So is my husband. :D

I make my list abut now. In aboutt 2 mnths, I will go check everything and pre pack. This gives me an idea as to what I want to take, and what I must take.

We drive to the port, so air restrictins do not affect us.

I actully pack about 2 mnths before. Then repack about a month befre, and a week before make my final approach to the suitcase, and don't touch it again after that.

I put my shoes I am not wearing in the garment bag. i take dress shoes, slippers (mossian type) to wear on the ship, and my walking shoes. In Feb I jut took a pair of black slip ons, and my mossicans.

I always have trouble packing (overpacking) and tend to have a luggage meltdown right before we leave (and it's not pretty!). I have the space bags - I don't use them on the way out cuz the clothes do tend to get wrinkled but they are great on the way home as I just stuff all my dirty laundry in there and push out the air - who cares what they clothes look like coming home?

Now with the new luggage restrictions I again have to rethink my packing strategy (and yes I had a spreadsheet with days/outfits outlined so I did not bring any extras). I think I need to try this rolling thing everyone is talking about - wonder if that will help? I use the biggest piece of luggage allowed and it's always hard not to go over the 50 lb limit.

And I now travel with a digital luggage scale (courtesy of my cruise buddy - guess he was tired of all the drama and crying?) - very helpful when repacking my stuff for the trip home! (instead of having a big surprise at the airport!)

I've used the huge ziplocks bags for packing and really like them. Once I have the bags filled with clothes, I just sit on 'em to push out the air...works great! *L* Definitely keeps the suitcases more orgainized. Been on my share of cruises and have always dressed accordingly. Gonna take advantage of the more relaxed dress code and pack more Docker type shorts & Polo's for hubby, and little skirts and tops for myself for casual dining. This will reduce some packing space :cool:

Girls, I have found that wearing skirts really cuts down on the amount of space taken up in your luggage. For the Caribbean, light weight, flowing skirts are great, plus as a bonus, you can go right from touring to the dining room because a skirt always looks dressy. For colder climates, switch to black pants and do the monochromatic look, black on black. Jeans take up too much room.

Then as an added bonus, Magellan's, (www.magellans.com) sell reversible skirts, so now you can have 2 looks in one skirt. I now have a number of reversibles. They are a little pricy, but when you divide the price by two, because it truly is 2 different looks, it's not so bad. The crinkle skirts are great because they cannot wrinkle. Same with polyester. And I am all over the black skirt or pants and dressy blouse for formal dinner. I found a reversible blouse that gives me two formal looks.

Sorry guys, no advise for you.

[quote name='cruisinbuddy']
The reason that they're charging for the 1st bag is because AA is charging for the second bag. Hmmmm, a lot of people will not bring the 2nd bag, so the other airlines "know" you're going to bring at least one bag each, hence the surcharge. QUOTE]

American is charging for the 1st bag also. They were the first airline to do so.

Archived