Waiting in line at the terminal for embarkment-Does everyone have to stand in line

imdreaming

I have 7 going on the Pride in February. Dad, Mom, 5 kids ages 17,17,16,13,11.

My question is" Do all of us have to wait in line. Or can Dad and Mom hold the spots for the kids while they do a little exploring. I just don't see them standing in line for 3 hours without driving me crazy. And if they can leave the line, any suggestions what they could do. jill

Jill. Three hours? Nah...Won't be anywhere near that long! I've never stood in line for even an hour. Just get to the dock as early as you can. Believe me, there's nothing for the kids to see around a terminal anyway. Boarding will be a lot quicker than you think.:)

A couple of times, I walked through the process and boarded in less than 15 minutes. I've waited 1 - 1.5 hours several times. Never waited close to 3 hours, but if debarkation of the prior cruise is delayed all bets are off. It also depends on what time you get there. I've found that boarding less than 2 hours before sailing is a breeze. Unfortunately, I always want to get on the ship ASAP, so I usually wait over an hour.

FYI, you won't be "standing" in line. Carnival has lovely plastic chairs for you to sit on. Don't get too excited if you move to another room . . . chances are you'll be waiting a bit on plastic chairs there too. :D

Like everyone else recommends, it's best if your little group stays together. The most exciting thing you'll find at the port are soda machines and restrooms. :rolleyes: Take some books or other things to keep the kids busy while you wait. It seems to go fast, probably because Carnival keeps you moving.

Since you will be sailing out of Long Beach, there is the QM. Either Mom or Dad can take the kids to walk around and tour the QM while the other waits in line. If you do the early check-in at QM between 9-12, you should be on the ship by 1:00. And at Long Beach, Carnival has NO plastic chairs to use while you wait. Standing room only only you choose to sit on the ground.

Also, you don't stay in the same place...you move from one area to the next. I believe there are three different areas...one line when you first get there, up the stairs (dining room assignments) and then getting your photo for the sail and sign card and finally on to the ship!!

We returned from the Pride on Oct. 3rd. We did the early check-in at the Queen Mary. We arrived there at 9:30. Didn't wait to long for this check-in then we proceeded over to the terminal. We waited in this line until12:30. This was a three hour wait :eek: This was not a 90 day check for employees.

One of you can stay in line while the others walk around. There are some vendors, vending machines and bathrooms available. It gets very crowded with people coming off and those waiting to get on.

The time does go fairly fast as everyone talks to each other.

yes, I've heard that Long Beach is a nightmare and a very long wait to get on the ship. When we boarded the Conquest last year, they had a whole terminal of chairs to sit and wait on. Long Beach needs to get their act together!! We board her in March and I dread waiting in line with my two kids that long. I'm taking cards and board games or something like that for them to do while we sit on the GROUND and wait.

We sailed out of Long Beach last April and the wait was not long at all. We checked in at the Queen Mary around 10am and were on the ship by 12:30 where we had lunch and explored the ship before the mass of people boarded. It was a breeze and we had two very anxious kids with us.

Archived