First Cruise (Pacific Sun 23rd July) & Questions

Ruby62

Our first cruise is looming on the horizon (excuse the pun) and there are a few questions I have that I'm sure some of you can answer. We depart on 23rd July from Auckland on the Pacific Sun, with stopovers at Lifou, Vila and Mystery island. My questions are -

1. I have read on this forum that the Fung Kwei duty free shop will be open (Sunday). Can anyone tell me what the prices of 1125 bottles of spirits such as rum & vodka are? Baileys? Kahlua? And also what is the limit of spirits/liquours per person from this store. Customs allowances (NZ) are six bottles (4.5 litres) of wine, port or sherry. Three bottles (1125mls) of spirits or liqueur. What currency do we pay with?

I'm just trying to determine whether to purchase our alcohol at the duty free store in NZ before we go or whether it's worth holding off until we reach Vila.

2. Tours available at Lifou. For those of you who have been on the shore tours in Lifou, are they worth while? (Melanesian Encounter/Cliffs of Jokin/Leucila Beach/Secret Grotto). If we didn't go on these tours, what are the other alternatives. Where does the ship dock? Are there taxis there that we could use to go on a little tiki tour ourselves? Where is the best snorkelling at Lifou? We would like to snorkel at both Lifou and Mystery island and perhaps Hideaway Island at Vanuatu.

3. Theme nights. We have received our tickets etc from the company we booked the cruise with, but there is no info there on what the theme nights will be on this cruise. Is it possible to find out this information before we cruise? Or do we just turn up with some gear for an island night and suitable attire for a formal night?

I'm sure I will have more questions, but will leave it at that at the moment, and look forward to some feedback. :)

Hi Ruby62

I'm sure you'll get some other answers as well - but here's my 10c worth ...

1. From our experience, Fung Kwei is definately the cheapest altnerative for purchasing alcohol - not sure of all of the spirit prices, but I think we paid around $18 for 750ml Kahlua and $25 for Tia Maria. Baileys was about $20. The staff at Fung Kwei seem to be aware of the duty free limits - but I'm sure they'll happily let you walk out with more than your legal limit - what you do when you get to NZ Customs is up to you I guess!!! They had the prices up in AUD and VAT - we put them on our credit card, so they went through at VAT and were converted by the bank (so the prices above could be slightly out due to the conversion rate). The VAT prices were VAT1530 for the Kahlua and 2,635 for the Tia Maria (we didn't buy Baileys there this time round). You can also pay by cash (AUD/VAT - probably NZD!).

2. We went to Lifou last cruise (2007) and did the Cliffs of Jonkin tour - which was lovely. Went to a vanilla plantation, then to the village of Jonkin. Very scenic! The bus was rustic to say the least, but I've heard from friends who have been since, that the bus they went on was very modern! Apart from the shore tours, there's a little market when you get off at the jetty (it's a tender port). There's apparently a little bay not far from where you land that's the best for snorkelling (someone will post the directions) - apart from that, it's pretty much a beach day. Didn't see any taxis for private tours when we were there!

3. Theme nights generally are Country & Western, Rock & Roll/50s and definitely Island Night (the first two are probably optional depending on how long your cruise is). Most people get involved in Island Night dressing up, etc --- we didn't see as many dressed up for the other nights, but certainly some do - and really get into the spirit of it! Like most things on a cruise, it's what you make of it! We took our own Island Night gear with us last cruise --- Hawiaian Shirts, leis, grass skirts, etc (as we had them from a function we had at work not long before, so they are now in my 'cruise bag' ready for next time!). But they normally do Island Night after the ships visited a port that sells suitable attire too (we did it after Vila the first cruise, and there was heaps of items that would have been perfect for sale there ... including the coconut bra - seems to be worn more by the young men than many females!!!:rolleyes:).

There'll be plenty of other info coming from other CC-ers I'm sure!!!

Hope you have a great cruise!

Hi We have just come back and yes, you should go to Feng Kuei (or what ever its called). The prices are the cheapest I have ever seen.All prices are in Australian $$. The best excange rate will be if you pay by creadit card.If I did it again I would take Vatu from the ATM and pay by this way, as the convert from Vatu to Aus then we pay in NZD. I used my Visa and it was charged in AUD and it was about $190 Aus total.The Baileys are $16.00 per 1 litre bottle.The Kahlua is $20.00 per bottle.Here is what we bought;2 x Baileys 1L ($16AUS)1 x Jim Beam (while) 1.25L ($12AUS)1 x Grand Marnier 1L ($30AUS)1 x Kahlua 1L ($20AUS)1 x DeKuy Butterscotch Schnapps .7L ($15AUS)1 x Park Drive Mild Tobacco ($23 AUS I think)1 x Pallmall Menthol (20 x 10) ($10AUS)This came to 12623 Vatu or $175.62 NZD.You would never get anywhere near these prices in NZ at the duty free or not. It was so cheap. It was charged to my Visa in Australian $$$ - Not Vatu.They will sell you as much as you like. It is delivered to you cabin on the last sea day morning. (the last night there were a few people who had opened up and just had a few drinks). HOLD OFF UNITL YOU GET TO VILA!.Lifou, can't help you there.Theme nights, there will be 2 formals and 1 island night and 1 country and western night. We also had a 70's night as well. Have fun

1. I have read on this forum that the Fung Kwei duty free shop will be open (Sunday). Can anyone tell me what the prices of 1125 bottles of spirits such as rum & vodka are? Baileys? Kahlua? And also what is the limit of spirits/liquours per person from this store. Customs allowances (NZ) are six bottles (4.5 litres) of wine, port or sherry. Three bottles (1125mls) of spirits or liqueur. What currency do we pay with?

I'm just trying to determine whether to purchase our alcohol at the duty free store in NZ before we go or whether it's worth holding off until we reach Vila.

2. Tours available at Lifou. For those of you who have been on the shore tours in Lifou, are they worth while? (Melanesian Encounter/Cliffs of Jokin/Leucila Beach/Secret Grotto). If we didn't go on these tours, what are the other alternatives. Where does the ship dock? Are there taxis there that we could use to go on a little tiki tour ourselves? Where is the best snorkelling at Lifou? We would like to snorkel at both Lifou and Mystery island and perhaps Hideaway Island at Vanuatu.

In January we paid $18ea for 1125ml bottles of OP Absolut vodka & OP Southern Comfort at Fung Kuei's. Was charged to our card in $AU. Not sure if they charge in NZ when there is a kiwi crowd in town.

We did not do an organised tour in Lifou. The ship does not berth at Lifou (or Mystery Island), but operates tenders to the shore. At Lifou you come ashore at Xepenehe, in Santal Bay. We walked to the Lady of Lourdes church on the hill to the left of the pier, then walked to a nearby location called Jinek Bay to snorkel. There are no taxis on Lifou.

I agree with Linda, Steve and Geoff's comments. Buy your duty free alcohol at Fung Kuei's shop in Vila. You are already aware of the duty limits for NZ, but the staff in the shop will also know the rules. We paid $18 for blue label Smirnoff vodka (1litre). They have various sizes of bottles in the shop, and the variety is incredible. Sometimes we pay in AUD and sometimes by credit card.

Lifou - As has already been said, there are no taxis. The locals operate a tour for $15 AUD. Book in the little hut behind the large hut that houses the market. The tour is OK, but if you want to see more, maybe you should take a tour. To reach the snorkelling area, walk to the road, turn left and walk about 500m. The road to the snorkelling area is on the right (it is signposted).

Theme nights - There will be two formal nights, Island Night (the most popular) and Western night. For Western night a check shirt and maybe jeans would be sufficient, although not everyone dresses up.:):)

Hi We have just come back and yes, you should go to Feng Kuei (or what ever its called). The prices are the cheapest I have ever seen.All prices are in Australian $$. The best excange rate will be if you pay by creadit card.If I did it again I would take Vatu from the ATM and pay by this way, as the convert from Vatu to Aus then we pay in NZD. I used my Visa and it was charged in AUD and it was about $190 Aus total.The Baileys are $16.00 per 1 litre bottle.The Kahlua is $20.00 per bottle.Here is what we bought;2 x Baileys 1L ($16AUS)1 x Jim Beam (while) 1.25L ($12AUS)1 x Grand Marnier 1L ($30AUS)1 x Kahlua 1L ($20AUS)1 x DeKuy Butterscotch Schnapps .7L ($15AUS)1 x Park Drive Mild Tobacco ($23 AUS I think)1 x Pallmall Menthol (20 x 10) ($10AUS)This came to 12623 Vatu or $175.62 NZD.You would never get anywhere near these prices in NZ at the duty free or not. It was so cheap. It was charged to my Visa in Australian $$$ - Not Vatu.They will sell you as much as you like. It is delivered to you cabin on the last sea day morning. (the last night there were a few people who had opened up and just had a few drinks). HOLD OFF UNITL YOU GET TO VILA!.Lifou, can't help you there.Theme nights, there will be 2 formals and 1 island night and 1 country and western night. We also had a 70's night as well. Have fun

Hi Steve, it was nice meeting you on the Sun.(with Deb and Vern at outside table) you have two really nice, well behaved little boys..

a credit to you and your wife.

kind regards, Lorraine:) :)

In January we paid $18ea for 1125ml bottles of OP Absolut vodka & OP Southern Comfort at Fung Kuei's. Was charged to our card in $AU.

Just to correct my earlier comment. These were 1 litre bottles.

Fung Kwei it is then! So it seems that the price for Kahlua is about NZ$21 (having just done a conversion) which is by far cheaper than the $33.90 (for a 1L bottle) quoted price at the duty free shop in Auckland. Also good savings on the rum, vodka and Baileys. That’s great! We were about to go into the duty free store in Auckland today and pre order our alcohol, so no need now. We’ll hold off till we get there and buy as much as we are allowed.

We will make this our first stop of the day, get that over with and either head over to Iririki for the day (Ive heard it’s about a $20 charge, which allows you a $20 credit at their restaurant) or do the Cascades combined with Hideaway Island.

Linda, thanks for the info on the Cliffs of Jonkin tour. Looks like a good option for us. Also will do a spot of snorkelling there if the conditions are right. We’ve found a Hawaiian shirt in the depths of the wardrobe for my husband to wear on Island Night (a Christmas gift that he looked pleased to receive at the time, but never wore) and I‘m sure I have a sarong or 2, which will do the trick for me, along with a yet-to-be-purchased lei.

Thanks Linda, Steve and Geoff & Ela2 for your input, much appreciated.:)

Hi Ruby,

If you've got some time to kill have a read of my Pacific Sun review (link in my signature). It will give you a pretty decent idea of what to expect from some of the ports you're visiting and of the ship too.

Welcome to CC by the way :D:D

Just to highlight a point implied in earlier replys. Fung Kwei will take care of delivery of the purchased items to the ship for you, if you purchase early in the day. If you purchase within 2-3 hours of the ship boarding time, you have to take it with you. As all luggage is x-rayed and passengers scanned every time you embark, no chance of smuggling it back on board either.

Just to highlight a point implied in earlier replys. Fung Kwei will take care of delivery of the purchased items to the ship for you, if you purchase early in the day. If you purchase within 2-3 hours of the ship boarding time, you have to take it with you. As all luggage is x-rayed and passengers scanned every time you embark, no chance of smuggling it back on board either.

Agreed. Even worse, if you have to take the alcohol to the ship yourselves, you have to queue up (sometimes for ages) to hand it in and have it recorded. It is much easier to have Fung Kuei deliver it for you. I don't know if the other duty free shops in Vila also deliver. We have always bought at Fung Kuei.:):)

Agreed. Even worse, if you have to take the alcohol to the ship yourselves, you have to queue up (sometimes for ages) to hand it in and have it recorded. It is much easier to have Fung Kuei deliver it for you. I don't know if the other duty free shops in Vila also deliver. We have always bought at Fung Kuei.:):)

We missed out on the opportunity of delivery while we were in Vila, as we had an all day tour with the last 40 mins designated for duty free. We did not find much of a problem. The shop was nearly empty of people, and we were easily able to carry our bag back to the minibus. When we arrived at the ship (Sun Princess), everything was organised and we waited less than 5 mins to board, handover a walking stick and check our grog into the ship.

While having it delevered is a great service, I would not panic too much if you are too late to have it delivered to the ship.

I have spent the last hour reading your Pacific Sun review Jo. What a comprehensive review! Did you update it daily while you were on the boat?

I have a few more questions. No doubt some of you seasoned travellers can answer them. Is it possible to take your own coke/lemonade/bottled water onto the boat? (Without it being confiscated I mean). I can't see anywhere in the blurb on the P&O website, that says that you can't.

Also, is ice readily available? What's the drinking water on the boat like?

and a question about the theme nights - does everyone get dressed up before dinner in their outfits, or does the dressup part happen after dinner? (a strange question but for some reason my husband wants to know!)

Hi ruby,

We were on the same cruise as Jo. I also have a review site (www.freewebs.com/honeymoontour08 ) .

We took our own softdrinks and a little 6 pack esky. Each day the room attendant would fill the esky with ice and we could chill some cans of softdrink. There is no problem with doing this, and the attendants are quite happy to provide the ice for you.

On the themem nights everone seems to get ready for theme night before dinner.

Anymore questions just ask, someone on here will have the answer for sure.

Cheers,

Kirsten

Hi ruby,

We were on the same cruise as Jo. I also have a review site (www.freewebs.com/honeymoontour08 ) .

We took our own softdrinks and a little 6 pack esky. Each day the room attendant would fill the esky with ice and we could chill some cans of softdrink. There is no problem with doing this, and the attendants are quite happy to provide the ice for you.

On the themem nights everone seems to get ready for theme night before dinner.

Anymore questions just ask, someone on here will have the answer for sure.

Cheers,

Kirsten

Hi Kirsten,

Your blog and photos were fantastic. I have sent the link to family who are thinking on going on a cruise and I know after seeing your photos and reading all about your cruise they will be inspired!:D

Thanks so much for sharing this,

Glenda

Hi Glenda,

I was just looking at your photo's from your N818 may 3rd cruise on the Pacific Sun, I recognized Joseph in one of your photo's, Joseph was our head waiter on the Sun last year in April, Herbert was the assistant waiter and he was fantastic also.My guess is he's now a head waiter also.:D

Hi Ruby62, Have a wonderful cruise the Pacific Sun is a great ship you will have a blast!!!:D

Regards Sandie:)

Hi Ruby62,

Kirsten has answered your questions very well. You also asked about drinking water. The water in the cabin hand basins is drinkable, but I find it has a very slight taste remaining from the desalination. I do not find this taste in the water in the water available at the tea/coffee & ice station in the buffet area. We take wide mouthed water bottles (easier to fill) and fill them twice a day.:):)

Hi Glenda,

I was just looking at your photo's from your N818 may 3rd cruise on the Pacific Sun, I recognized Joseph in one of your photo's, Joseph was our head waiter on the Sun last year in April, Herbert was the assistant waiter and he was fantastic also.My guess is he's now a head waiter also.:D

Hi Ruby62, Have a wonderful cruise the Pacific Sun is a great ship you will have a blast!!!:D

Regards Sandie:)

Hi Sandie,

Yes Joseph was our waiter and his assistant was Michelle. Maybe Herbert did make it to head waiter. We really loved Joseph and have many fond memories from dinner, he really made us feel quite special.

My son Ben bumped into him in Brisbane one weekend and after we had filled out the 'you make a difference' card he mentioned to us that if he gets enough of those filled out he would get a day off. So I'd say that's what happened!

Glenda:)

There is fruit juice (usually orange and apple) available from the buffet bar area (Lido deck) every morning. Located beside the coffee machines (two, one on either side, port & starboard). The dispensing machines for the fruit juices are usually only uncovered for a couple of hours or so early each morning. Not sure that you are supposed to or not but we would fill up a wide mouthed water bottle each morning, add some ice and keep in the cabin for drinks during the day.

Archived