Sea Princess - tips, advice etc please

charliesdad

Laundry room on every cabin deck. Machines/irons free, bring soap powder. Small, go at off-peak times.

Two main restaurants serve same grub, one fixed seating, one anytime. Generally 6 - 8 out of ten (ten being 5 star). Pizza place, grill both good - real hamburgers, yum, you begin to understand why the yanks make so much fuss about them. Buffet variable - some find it ok or even good, others think it's rubbish. I thought it was better than most buffets. Very difficult to get a seat - bit canteen-like.

Food, drinks etc, in fact most things, still geared in language and choices to the over-the-pond colonial market, which is fine - they mostly eat/drink the same as normal people, just an awful lot more of it at a time....:D :D

Entertainment variable - go with the view that any live show is better than being at home watching Eastenders, and you'll be fine.

Cabins small but fine.

Overall, about a 3 to 4 star hotel with better grub. Service is excellent throughout. And you wake up in a different country every day! Bliss.

Our favourite bar was the cigar bar (Premiere Crus or something), partly because of the obvious, partly because of Beckie the completely insane Grenadian bar maid, and partly because the off-duty comics all congregate there and it's a laugh. (Well, obviously!!).

Expect to get about what you paid for, possibly a bit more, remember it's not one of the bigger boats with rock-climbing-diving-tube-golf-course-boxing-ring, and you'll have a fantastic time. We did, and would go back on it if the colonials weren't pinching the boat back for the Alaska run next year. Booooo.

Happy hols. Say hi to Charlie.

I love the Sea Princess and have even before it was transferred to P&O and back. There's something about the ambiance of the ship that makes it special, whether it's the friendliness of the crew or maybe they put happy juice in the water. :) Whatever it is, both of my Sea Princess cruises have been highlights, not just for the itinerary.

Among my favorite places is the aft of Aloha deck, where there is a good-sized public outdoor deck with lots of loungers both in the sun and shade. Since it's only one deck down from the Riviera deck, which has a bar, the waitstaff comes around to take drink orders while you're lounging. Because most people didn't find this area until later in the cruise, it was always easy to get loungers. We had a cabin just down the hall with a balcony but almost always wound up heading to this area because of the full-sized loungers.

I love the Sea Princess and have even before it was transferred to P&O and back. There's something about the ambiance of the ship that makes it special, whether it's the friendliness of the crew or maybe they put happy juice in the water. :) Whatever it is, both of my Sea Princess cruises have been highlights, not just for the itinerary.

Among my favorite places is the aft of Aloha deck, where there is a good-sized public outdoor deck with lots of loungers both in the sun and shade. Since it's only one deck down from the Riviera deck, which has a bar, the waitstaff comes around to take drink orders while you're lounging. Because most people didn't find this area until later in the cruise, it was always easy to get loungers. We had a cabin just down the hall with a balcony but almost always wound up heading to this area because of the full-sized loungers.

All true. Great part of the boat.

Hey, Cam in PA, we are as one. We are united, 'cross the oceans. On this day, when the great President Bush is visiting Ingerlan, it is fitting that we find common purpose in guiding this young cruiser to happiness and fulfilment. Me with my 3 cruises, you with your 245,951.

Hic.

xxxxx

:p

Shows are geared more to the UK market - lots of the US folk were not impressed. Go early to the shows as they fill up fast.

WE liked Crooners Bar where there was a pianist/singer. If you are aboard have brekfast and lunch in the dining room as it avoids the scrum at the buffet. You can have as little or much as you choose.

Shows are geared more to the UK market - lots of the US folk were not impressed.
This is true, particularly the comics. Our British tablemates felt sorry for us because while they were laughing hysterically, the Americans were looking blank-faced because they didn't get the jokes.

There are also many more British food items on this ship. If you ask for bacon, it's really more like ham or Canadian bacon. Not what we're used to. And you'll see many other British specialties on the menu.

On the other hand, I found the Brits to be delightful travel companions. They were polite, stayed in line (queue), and respectful of others, something I don't often see on primarily U.S. cruises. As an American, you will be definitely in the minority.

I also thank you for the info. I'm looking to book for Alaska 2010 as soon as the itineraries are posted.

This should really be fun with all the 'over the ponders' influences. Something different. :)

By the way, you Scotsmen are a hoot.

Pat

Archived