Port Everglades

marie k

I have never sailed with Celebrity from Fl before. Is it correct that Solstice

will sail from Port Everglades?

I will be looking for a hotel pre cruise and want to make sure I'll be in the right place!

Also, are there plenty of taxis at the pier for the return to the airport?

Thanks

I will be looking for a hotel pre cruise and want to make sure I'll be in the right place!

Thanks

Yes, Solstice will be sailing from Ft. Lauderdale. And yes, there will be plenty of taxi's at the pier.

Yes, it is sailing from Port Everglades. We went out of there last year on Carnival Liberty. We stayed at the Holiday Inn - Airport. They have a free shuttle from the airport and will take you to the Cruise Port for something like $10.00 per person.

As far as post - cruise, there were plenty of taxis/buses lined up at the pier. We flagged one down with no problem.

When are you going? We will be on the December 14th sailing.

I believe that Solstice will sail from Port Everglades. There are a number of hotels near the port. We have stayed at the Comfort Inn and Suites, 1800 South Federal, and it is just fine for an overnight pre-stay. (As a matter of fact, we will be staying there again, pre-and post-cruise in November.) You can check out advice from others on Trip Advisor; we did. Embassy Suites and other hotels are not far from Comfort Inn, I know. There have been a couple of previous threads similar to your type of question before, but I cannot tell you how to access them; sorry. By the way, Comfort Inn has free shuttle service from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the port.

Thanks

MarieK, Yes, Solstice will sail from Port Everglades. There will plenty of taxis available at the pier for you when you depart. If you want to stay near the port, I suggest Hyatt Place or Embassy Suites (free port shuttle) on 17th Street Causeway. Both are within walking distance of the Harbor Shops if you need to pick up pre cruise items like food and wine. http://www.theharborshops.com/directory.html. Other resort type hotels are Ft. Lauderdale Grande and Hyatt Pier 66 also on 17th Street but not within walking distance of Harbor Shops. Hope this helps.

We've had good luck at the Hampton Inn-Airport North in FLL. Free shuttle from airport and to pier. Free breakfast. They'll shuttle you to a restaurant for dinner too (they really push the Rendezvous, a waterfront place...we liked it). It was clean, beds were comfortable, they had a computer in the lobby and an outdoor pool. We're staying there again this winter on our way to Solstice.

Virginia

We always stay at the Ramada Inn Port Everglades/FLL airport. About $85 per night and they have free shuttle pick up at the airport and to the pier also comes with free hot full breakfast. The shuttle company will even presell you a voucher at the hotel to get back to the airport after the cruise for $7pp. Last November the shuttle was waiting for us when we walked off the Volendam at 8:45 and it took us less than 15 minutes to get to the air terminal.:D :D

I remember staying at the Comfort Inn one time, waking up the morning of our cruise, opening the window and our cruise ship was right outside (ok, a little to the left, but I could see it). What a great way to start the day!!!

Anyone remember the old restaurant that was right by the port? It looked like it was once a car wash that they turned into a diner. Great greasy breakfast! They tore it down to make way for a CVS/Walgreens. :-(

On the subject of Port Everglades, have they improved the shuttle service to and from the terminal? That's the only thing I dread about sailing on =X= is their position at PE. I've sailed out of there on RC and on Princess, and the ship was right by a parking structure. With =X=, I've had to take a shuttle to and from the parking garage, and when EVERYONE is trying to get to their car at the end of the cruise, it is a nightmare. I'd rather sail out of Miami for ONLY that reason.

I remember staying at the Comfort Inn one time, waking up the morning of our cruise, opening the window and our cruise ship was right outside (ok, a little to the left, but I could see it). What a great way to start the day!!!

Anyone remember the old restaurant that was right by the port? It looked like it was once a car wash that they turned into a diner. Great greasy breakfast! They tore it down to make way for a CVS/Walgreens. :-(

On the subject of Port Everglades, have they improved the shuttle service to and from the terminal? That's the only thing I dread about sailing on =X= is their position at PE. I've sailed out of there on RC and on Princess, and the ship was right by a parking structure. With =X=, I've had to take a shuttle to and from the parking garage, and when EVERYONE is trying to get to their car at the end of the cruise, it is a nightmare. I'd rather sail out of Miami for ONLY that reason.

JT! The diner was Joe's ( as in Eat at Joe's). It was only there maybe 5 years or so. Can't comment on the shuttle service (I'm local) but can tell you on my daily commute, I've seen X ships right in front of the parking garage and I've seen them at the far end of the berths. It all depends on how many ships are there. Hope that helps some.

Has anyone used a hotel that provides long term parking (about a month) for a fee less than the pier parking garage.. or does anyone in FLL have a garage they want to rent out?

• 2 months later...

Hello,

We used the airport - cruise terminal shuttle in April of 2008, and it was an excellent way to go from the airport to the cruise terminal at no charge except a couple of dollars to the shuttle driver.

You catch the shuttle by the car rental place, which for us was Alamo.

We only used it one way so i cannot comment on the trip from the cruise terminal to the airport.

Hope that this helps,

Fred

I have enjoyed the Embassy Suites on SW 17th Street. The property was just updated and looks great - was there last weekend. Their cook-to-order breakfast is wonderful, and the Manager's cocktail reception 5:30-7:30 daily is great! The pool is wonderful! There is an Outback right behind the property; another great steakhouse right across the street; and the Grumpy Gator bar/pub right behind the property in a shopping center that has a Public store. They do not offer a shuttle from the airport. A cab is $11.70 per cab to the property. Embassy charges $7.00 per person to the pier; however, if there are only two of you, get a cab for about the same price, but you can leave for the port when you are ready to go and not wait for the van to fill! All of my clients have thoroughly enjoyed this property, and many have chosen to return there for the other cruises.

Have fun!

I have enjoyed the Embassy Suites on SW 17th Street. The property was just updated and looks great - was there last weekend. Their cook-to-order breakfast is wonderful, and the Manager's cocktail reception 5:30-7:30 daily is great! The pool is wonderful! There is an Outback right behind the property; another great steakhouse right across the street; and the Grumpy Gator bar/pub right behind the property in a shopping center that has a Public store. They do not offer a shuttle from the airport. A cab is $11.70 per cab to the property. Embassy charges $7.00 per person to the pier; however, if there are only two of you, get a cab for about the same price, but you can leave for the port when you are ready to go and not wait for the van to fill! All of my clients have thoroughly enjoyed this property, and many have chosen to return there for the other cruises.

Have fun!

What price were the rooms?

Has anyone used a hotel that provides long term parking (about a month) for a fee less than the pier parking garage.. or does anyone in FLL have a garage they want to rent out?

-We stayed in the La Quinta last year and left the car for 10 days

without extra charge. They also had a free shuttle to the pier. We did

have to take a taxi from the pier (around $ 20.00). The motel was around

$ 90 dollars in early December. I think they charge more "in season".

-We stayed in the La Quinta last year and left the car for 10 days

without extra charge. They also had a free shuttle to the pier. We did

have to take a taxi from the pier (around $ 20.00). The motel was around

$ 90 dollars in early December. I think they charge more "in season".

Which location?

Do they have a shuttle from the airport to the hotel?

We always stay at the Ramada Inn Port Everglades/FLL airport. About $85 per night and they have free shuttle pick up at the airport and to the pier also comes with free hot full breakfast. The shuttle company will even presell you a voucher at the hotel to get back to the airport after the cruise for $7pp. Last November the shuttle was waiting for us when we walked off the Volendam at 8:45 and it took us less than 15 minutes to get to the air terminal.:D :D

I have been checking around for a hotel for the night before our Solstice cruise March 29th. Flying from NJ we like to have a little extra buffer in case of bad weather. Anyway I checked Ramada on line and their price is posted as $174 plus tax, $193.14 total per night. They do have the extras such as the free hot breakfast & free shuttle to the port but I just booked a much more luxurious room at the Sheraton for only $185 plus tax so I will forfeit the free hot breakfast for the few dollars difference. If you know something I don't I would definately switch hotels for a decent one that is only $85 per night though.

I have been checking around for a hotel for the night before our Solstice cruise March 29th. Flying from NJ we like to have a little extra buffer in case of bad weather. Anyway I checked Ramada on line and their price is posted as $174 plus tax, $193.14 total per night. They do have the extras such as the free hot breakfast & free shuttle to the port but I just booked a much more luxurious room at the Sheraton for only $185 plus tax so I will forfeit the free hot breakfast for the few dollars difference. If you know something I don't I would definitely switch hotels for a decent one that is only $85 per night though.

We booked the room through Hotels.com which had a better price than booking with either the hotel or Ramada online. We stayed there on Thanksgiving night and November is the off season and your trip in March is considered high season, which may explain the high room price. Sounds to me like the Sheraton is a better deal for you in March.

Archived