Tuntra Wilderness tour

betmust

Hi,

I am going on the Diamond in August but doing a 3 day land tour first. I am booked with Princess for the Natural history tour. i have been reading about the tundra wilderness tour and now think I should change to that. I don't know if I will ever be here again and want to see as much as I can.

How do I go about canceling the natural history tour and booking the tundra tour? Can anyone offer some advice?

Thanks in advance

Bette:confused:

While I can't advise you on how to change your reservations, I can tell you that the Tundra tour is definately worth going on. My wife and I did the tour a week ago and we still can't stop talking about all the animals we saw on the tour. You name it, we saw it. Grizzly bear, gray wolf, red fox, hoary marmot, lynx, caribou, moose, snowshoe hare, artic ground squirrel, Dall sheep, great Horned Owl, Northern Hawk Owl, Willow Ptarmigan, American Kestrel, Merlin, Golden Eagle and a dozen other birds I don't recall. The bus driver/instructor was so informative that the 6+ hours flew by.

You're going to have a great time.:)

While I can't advise you on how to change your reservations, I can tell you that the Tundra tour is definately worth going on. My wife and I did the tour a week ago and we still can't stop talking about all the animals we saw on the tour. You name it, we saw it. Grizzly bear, gray wolf, red fox, hoary marmot, lynx, caribou, moose, snowshoe hare, artic ground squirrel, Dall sheep, great Horned Owl, Northern Hawk Owl, Willow Ptarmigan, American Kestrel, Merlin, Golden Eagle and a dozen other birds I don't recall. The bus driver/instructor was so informative that the 6+ hours flew by.

You're going to have a great time.:)

wow this sounds wonderful!! We are going the end of July and I was worried I would not enjoy this tour at all. What time did you guys start your tour at?

thanks!!:)

Hi,

I am going on the Diamond in August but doing a 3 day land tour first. I am booked with Princess for the Natural history tour. i have been reading about the tundra wilderness tour and now think I should change to that. I don't know if I will ever be here again and want to see as much as I can.

How do I go about canceling the natural history tour and booking the tundra tour? Can anyone offer some advice?

Thanks in advance

Bette:confused:

Some times with short cruisetours, you don't have enough time for the TWT. What is your itinerary and mode of travel??? I've be able to tell you. IF you can change, then contact your booking agent and get the refund for the NHT and book the TWT.

By now you know, there is a signifiant difference in these tours, do all you can to change this. But be prepared for the possibility of your booking agent not knowing Alaska.

We will leave Princess Lodge at McKinly in the morning and arrive at Denali Princess Lodge at 11;15. Will leave the next morning to go to the ship.

Will this give us enough time??

Thanks

Bette

We will leave Princess Lodge at McKinly in the morning and arrive at Denali Princess Lodge at 11;15. Will leave the next morning to go to the ship.

Will this give us enough time??

Thanks

Bette

There are afternoon TWTs that you should be able to get on. Otherwise you can also take the Eielson shuttle as late as 3pm.

On my HAL cruisetour, we had two groups. One went out at 1:30 and we were scheduled at 2:30 but we didn't actually leave until 3:00 for our Tundra Wilderness Tour. So I know there are afternoon tours. Now we didn't get back to the lodge until 11:00 pm, so it makes for a very long day. Just keep that in mind.

The operator of the Denali Tundra Tours is only allow to run 30 buses a day. The Denali NP regulates the number of buses to limit the impact on the nature preserve. They made a point of noting that this portion is the park is a preserve that normally would not have a road in it. It's suppose to remain in its natural conditions to protect the animals. However, it was simply a park until Congress expanded the boundaries of the park and determined that the area within the original boundaries would be re-established as a natural preserve. By that time, the park already had a road through the area. Good for those people who want to see wildlife in their natural setting rather than a zoo.

Anyway, the tours start around 5:30 AM and run every 20 - 30 minutes 0or so. They usually run about 20 tours in the morning and another 10 in the afternoon (depending on the number of reservations they have). The final times of the tours are not set until 1-2 weeks before the date scheduled. As I recall from making the reservations, you have a choice of AM or PM.

My wife and I took the early morning tour (6:10 AM) thinking that the animals usually are feeding early in the morning. The bus driver/tour guide pointed out that it really doesn't matter which time you pick since there is no "morning" during the summer in Denali. The sun is up nearly 24 hours a day and the animals tend to eat when they get hungry and rest when they get tired.

Hope that helps!

Archived