Bird Tours in Alaska

LizD

My fiancee (will be husband when I'm in Alaska!) is big on birds and leads a weekly bird walk where we live in Brooklyn. If there's local bird walks in Brooklyn-- there must be in Alaska!

I already came across the Juneau Audobon society website, but has anyone gone on a local bird tour? I know he'd really like to go for a bird walk with some like-minded birders.

We're going to be in Ketchikan, Juneau, Haines, Skagway and Seward. Any tips?

We just returned from Alaska, and we took the boat tour with Davey Lubin in Sitka. I know you're not going there, but if others are interested and going to Sitka, they might think about his tour. We were on the boat with 4 bird watchers, and let me tell you....Davey knows his birds and he can spot them from WAY off. I don't know that much about bird watching, but the other people on the excursion marked a lot of birds off their list. There was some kind of "antique" something or other that we saw that everyone was really excited about because it was such a rare bird :) If you are looking for a good all-round excursion with plenty of bird sightings and a very knowledgable guide, I would recommend Capt. Davey on the Esther G in Sitka.

Your husband-to-be should also keep pelagic birding in mind, especially during "at sea" days. We just got back from a cruise (roundtrip out of Seattle) which included Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway. I booked a bow cabin specifically for birding and spent a lot of time out on our balcony. (If you dress in layers, temperature is not a problem.) Species seen include sooty shearwater (thousands), black-footed albatross (many dozen), tufted puffin (maybe 15), Leach's storm-petrel (many), fork-tailed storm-petrel (two dozen), ancient murrelet (maybe 15), marbled murrelet (perhaps 100), and rhinoceros auklet (a dozen). I probably also saw Cassin's auklet, but I was just not sure about the ID. If he does not have a pelagic field guide, I recommend Seabirds by Peter Harrison. That is the one with drawings, not photos. Also, the ABA Birder's Guide to Alaska by George West is very helpful.

I already came across the Juneau Audobon society website, but has anyone gone on a local bird tour? I know he'd really like to go for a bird walk with some like-minded birders.

I'd suggest contacting the Juneau society to see when they're having one of their walks. They don't do anything tourist oriented, but will have walks every other week or so that anyone is welcome to join.

Frankly, I'd locate the recommended spots from their on-line newsletter and just rent a car. Any number of hiking trails and parks should have good viewing, and you'll also be seeing some great sights for the tourist.

The Airport Dike trail is a very easy walk and always has great birding. Mendenhall Glacier has Arctic terns and then you can explore the Dredge Lakes area nearby. Up Basin Road in town by Gold Creek, the trees are filled with all sorts of birds. Out the road, stop at Auke Bay for bald eagles, and then drive on out to Eagle Beach for sea birds. There's a pull-out on Egan Expressway going back to town where you can observe the wetlands, seeing ducks and eagles.

Your husband-to-be should also keep pelagic birding in mind, especially during "at sea" days. We just got back from a cruise (roundtrip out of Seattle) which included Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway. I booked a bow cabin specifically for birding and spent a lot of time out on our balcony. (If you dress in layers, temperature is not a problem.) Species seen include sooty shearwater (thousands), black-footed albatross (many dozen), tufted puffin (maybe 15), Leach's storm-petrel (many), fork-tailed storm-petrel (two dozen), ancient murrelet (maybe 15), marbled murrelet (perhaps 100), and rhinoceros auklet (a dozen). I probably also saw Cassin's auklet, but I was just not sure about the ID. If he does not have a pelagic field guide, I recommend Seabirds by Peter Harrison. That is the one with drawings, not photos. Also, the ABA Birder's Guide to Alaska by George West is very helpful.
Glad to hear that you had such wonderful pelagic birding...this is one of the reasons we picked a cruise with some true offshore time as well:)

Thanks. The birding was good, but it took a real investment in time. The albatrosses were all seen on the outbound leg but not on the return. The storm-petrels really took slightly calmer water (on the return) and a lot of experience to differentiate (which you wouldn't expect from just a dry-land reading of the field guide). I also found it helped a lot to wear polarized sunglasses to cut the glare.

This trip was just a first-time Alaska run. We are planning a longer cruise-tour, perhaps including Nome and St. Paul, for a year or two from now.

I don't know how you'll be getting between Anchorage and Seward, but I assume you will, unless you have a B2B. Here is a link with a calendar of walks and a map (brand new...I'm going to get one next time we go to Anchorage) of best birding sites in the area. I think it includes some areas between Anchorage and Seward.

http://www.anchorageaudubon.org/

Thanks. The birding was good, but it took a real investment in time. The albatrosses were all seen on the outbound leg but not on the return. The storm-petrels really took slightly calmer water (on the return) and a lot of experience to differentiate (which you wouldn't expect from just a dry-land reading of the field guide). I also found it helped a lot to wear polarized sunglasses to cut the glare.

This trip was just a first-time Alaska run. We are planning a longer cruise-tour, perhaps including Nome and St. Paul, for a year or two from now.

I tooke a birding tour that included St Paul and Attu (the outermost Aleutian island) 21 years ago, and it was an amazing experience. The bird cliffs at St Paul alone made the trip worthwhile!

Do you recall if you were far offshore when you saw the albatross, petrels, and shearwaters?

Thanks

On the way north, there was very good birding as we passed to seaward of Vancouver Island. That was where I saw all of the albatrosses. Things quieted considerably, however, after we reached the end of the island. The open area between there and the beginning of the inshore run past the Queen Charlottes was fairly dead. On the return leg out of Prince Rupert, it was good (especially for storm-petrels) until we hit that area again. Unfortunately, the timing of passages means that you don't get much daylight past Vancouver Island on the return.

Although birds could show up in any direction, the majority of them were seen flying upwind. Also, pay attention to groups of birds sitting on the water, sometimes amazingly close to the ship. All of the ancient murrelet sightings were of groups of 5-6 sitting on the water and diving out of the way just in time.

On the way north, there was very good birding as we passed to seaward of Vancouver Island. That was where I saw all of the albatrosses. Things quieted considerably, however, after we reached the end of the island. The open area between there and the beginning of the inshore run past the Queen Charlottes was fairly dead. On the return leg out of Prince Rupert, it was good (especially for storm-petrels) until we hit that area again. Unfortunately, the timing of passages means that you don't get much daylight past Vancouver Island on the return.

Although birds could show up in any direction, the majority of them were seen flying upwind. Also, pay attention to groups of birds sitting on the water, sometimes amazingly close to the ship. All of the ancient murrelet sightings were of groups of 5-6 sitting on the water and diving out of the way just in time.

Thanks so much for the specifics...we will be on the seaward side of Vancouver Island on the way back home, but probably much of this passage will overnight as well...I will try to make the most of whatever daylight we have!

Archived