Crown Bay or Havensight? Info,Pros & Cons

airlink diva

By reading the reviews on this website, I noticed that there are two docking areas in St. Thomas for cruiseships, Crown Bay and Havensight.

I want to get some basic infomation about both ports if possible.

From reading the HAL board, it's likey that my ship will dock in Havensight. How far is this port from the beaches, ferries (thinking about going to St. John) and shopping? Are these ports close to each other? The reason that I ask this is if I book a tour with a local guide, will they pick up people at one dock and then head to the other? And for those that visited St. Thomas and have docked at both ports in your sailings, what did you like most and least about the ports. Please post info for me thanks!!

Hi, docked at both last December on Crown Princess Cruise. If memory correct, Havensight has a mall right when you get off the ship and Crown Bay didn't. Lots of similar shops to what you'll see in town. Both times we weren't booked on any excursions so walked into town. I believe Crown Bay was quite a walk, a bit further of a walk then Havensight. Havensight was also a bit of a walk, but could do so on a seawall walkway so it was a pleasant walk whereas Crown Bay was more along a busy road with little shade. Havensight was also right near the Paradise Tram ride, which provided a really lovely overview of St. Thomas. If you don't have an excursion booked, there are lots of taxis at both locations which you can take into town. Enjoy your cruise!

By reading the reviews on this website, I noticed that there are two docking areas in St. Thomas for cruiseships, Crown Bay and Havensight.

I want to get some basic infomation about both ports if possible.

From reading the HAL board, it's likey that my ship will dock in Havensight. How far is this port from the beaches, ferries (thinking about going to St. John) and shopping? Are these ports close to each other? The reason that I ask this is if I book a tour with a local guide, will they pick up people at one dock and then head to the other? And for those that visited St. Thomas and have docked at both ports in your sailings, what did you like most and least about the ports. Please post info for me thanks!!

Hi airlink diva. We docked at Havensight in 2003 on the Dawn Princess and at Crown Bay in 2006 on the Crown Princess. I think Havensight is much better. Crown Bay shops were still being developed in 2006 and many were empty. I expect that that is no longer the case and shopping is now better but the trip into town is longer from Crown Bay.

We will be on the Noordam in February of 2009 and will stop in St. Thomas. I am wondering where we will dock. You said it was likely that your HAL ship will dock at Havensight. May I ask how you came to that conclusion. I hope that we will also dock at Havensight.

Thanks,

Virginia

Hi airlink diva. We docked at Havensight in 2003 on the Dawn Princess and at Crown Bay in 2006 on the Crown Princess. I think Havensight is much better. Crown Bay shops were still being developed in 2006 and many were empty. I expect that that is no longer the case and shopping is now better but the trip into town is longer from Crown Bay.

We will be on the Noordam in February of 2009 and will stop in St. Thomas. I am wondering where we will dock. You said it was likely that your HAL ship will dock at Havensight. May I ask how you came to that conclusion. I hope that we will also dock at Havensight.

Thanks,

Virginia

I'm just going on what cruisers who sailed in March,April and early May stated they docked at. But since I've never been there, I really don't know!!

Thanks Tamara. I've been trying to figure out if a large HAL ship (Noordam) is more likely to dock at Havensight or Crown Bay that I believe was developed to accommodate the larger ships, such as the Crown Princess (even though Noordam is not as large as the Crown Princess). Maybe someone else can chime in on this:confused:.

Virginia

I think it's more a matter of it being that Crown Bay was developed by CCL, so any ships under the CCL banner are more likely to dock there than at Havensight. However, that's by no means 100% and I haven't been able to figure any rhyme or reason for why a particular ship may be at Crown Bay one week and Havensight the next. :confused:

Thanks Becky - I guess we will just have to wait to find out where we will be docking in February of next year. While the waiting and anticipation can be so much of the fun of a cruise, it is also maddening when it is all you have for months on end:(.

Virginia

Princess has been the primary tennant at Crown Bay. Crown Bay will have a much smaller variety of shops than Havensight, but there will be some shops there for various trinkets and duty free liquor. It is a newer developing area. It is several miles and about 10 min or so away from Havensight (and much less crowded at the pier). You can see Havensight from Crown Bay, and can get to Havensight by Taxi for a few bucks if you choose to do so. Be aware that traffic can be an issue on St. Thomas so plan ahead if you have the ability to do so.

We were on the Westerdam last year and we docked at Crown Bay. At that time, we were told that all HAL ships docked at Crown Bay. We were there New Year's, 2008. There were several very nice shops there at the dock and we had to take a taxi into town.

Archived