First Time New England Cruise - October

Cruzin4Life

Hi everyone.

Finally, after more than 3 years (insert 10 crying smileys here !!), we are able to go on a cruise again. We live in South Africa, so just getting to the US is an epic journey on it's own.

We are planning a visit to the US from mid October to early November and I am trying to convince DH that we can take a week and go on a cruise.

Both our previous cruises were Caribbean (one Western and one Eastern) and seeing we are going to be in the NYC area and we want to try something different, I came across the following cruise with Princess. Departing NYC (Brooklyn) - Newport, Boston, Bar Harbor, St John NB Canada, Halifax and back to NYC. 7-days.

ANY advice or recommendations for this cruise will be appreciated. What do we pack (looks like it is kinda cold that time of the year). Will it be worth it to book a Balcony (considering the outside temperatures) or should we rather just go for an Oceanview. Any ideas on how to convince DH will also be appreciated ;) .

I also believe there are all kinds of extra charges - fuel, etc. Does anyone have a "list" of all the extras that we must be prepared for?

Thanks a million...

A joke that is probably told about other parts of the world as well, but that I've heard about New England: "If you don't like the weather in New England, wait a minute."

October can be beautiful -- warm, sunny, 70's (that would be 20-25 for those of you who use Celsius).

October can be cold, dreary, rainy, 50's (10-15 Celsius).

October in parts of New England will be bright with fall colors. Unless it's too late and the trees are bare.

But you stand as good a chance of enjoying the balcony in October as you would during an August, when we could have a heatwave!

I would suggest you cruise as early as you can when you arrive in the US. The beautiful fall colors will be subsiding my middle to end of October and it does get colder. The days are beautiful - but it has been know to snow at that time too:eek:

Bar Harbor is absolutely beautiful during the middle of October.

Happy cruising!

A joke that is probably told about other parts of the world as well, but that I've heard about New England: "If you don't like the weather in New England, wait a minute."

Just a little FYI, that's a quote by Mark Twain who lived in Hartford, CT.

Cruzin4Life, We are on the August 24th sailing of the Caribbean Princess doing the exact itinerary you mentioned. I think it will get a bit cold that time of year especially as you go north. It could be quite lovely in Boston and Newport. Around Hartford, we can get temperatures in the 70's and even in the 80's in October. November is a bit more chilly. Boston and Newport may be a bit colder than here because they are closer to the water.

I'm not sure about the leaves that time of year. It might be a bit late for Maine and Canada. We usually peek around the 12th of October.

As far as a balcony - Me, I love balconies. We did a balcony on our cruise around the horn when it was very cold. We picked Caribe deck for that cruise because the balcony was half open and half covered. I wanted the open end so that I would have an unobstructed view of the night sky and I could see the southern cross. I used the covered end when it was rainning and sleeting and I didn't want to miss the scenery. It was perfect. We have an open balcony for our upcoming Canada/New England cruise. We also chose starboard side. We booked when we were onboard another ship and the FCC person thought that starboard might be better for this cruise. We'll find out.

Well I hope all this helps and I hope you get to go. Regardless, Enjoy your visit to the states.

Shelly

Hi everyone

Thanks for all the great advice and info. Sounds like a Balcony is the decision then. Unfortunately we cannot get away from here before middle October. This is more of a business trip that we are extending, so the cruise will be an absolute bonus - that is if I can convince DH that we should have the few spare days we have in the US, to go on a cruise. Any cruise is better than no cruise... Hold thumbs, please.:)

We are planning a proper "holiday trip" during March/April next year and we are looking to go on a nice long (maybe 10+ days) cruise then. We love the Caribbean and any suggestions on how to plan the "longer" cruise from all you "professional" cruisers will be appreciated.

You guys are soooo lucky to be able to cruise whenever you have the opportunity. It takes us 24 hours just to get from our home to that side of the world - we need to fly from Cape Town, via Johannesburg, via Dakar (in Africa) and then on to NYC. Crazy, huh???

I love reading these boards - keeps me going those loooong periods between cruises.

Take care everyone.

I am From Montreal Canada.

I did this cruise in mid may 2 yrs ago and it was cool.

It is a WONDERFUL destination, but I would not do it in

Oct - Nov it is a little late. (is it even running that late)

If you do decide to go

f it were me, I wouldn't spend money on a balcony. If it is beautiful, you can always enjoy the public areas.

Bring sweaters & pants as layers will be the trick hear.

Thanks CGinMTL. I think the cruise we are looking at is the last one advertised for 2008 for that route. Probably because it gets too cold by then.

Still havn't made a final decision yet. We only have the two weeks in October and we have to be in NYC. Due to the limited time we have, we do not want to fly down south to start a cruise from there. The New England/Canada was the only cruise available at that time of the year cruising out of NYC.

Maybe we should rather wait for March 2009 and do it properly then. I am sure I will survive until then... :)

Thanks for the reply anyway.

Cruised that area last summer and going again this summer. It is so beautiful in that part of the country. What better way to see the US and cruise at the same time? I highly recommend it. Not sure I would spend the extra dollars on a balcony..........

Thanks CGinMTL. I think the cruise we are looking at is the last one advertised for 2008 for that route. Probably because it gets too cold by then.

Still havn't made a final decision yet. We only have the two weeks in October and we have to be in NYC. Due to the limited time we have, we do not want to fly down south to start a cruise from there. The New England/Canada was the only cruise available at that time of the year cruising out of NYC.

Maybe we should rather wait for March 2009 and do it properly then. I am sure I will survive until then... :)

Thanks for the reply anyway.

If you don't have your heart set on Canada/NE, the NCL Dawn sails to Bermuda on a 7 day cruise out of NYC in October.

• 4 weeks later...

Funny, My hubby and I are actually looking at that very time frame to cruise that very route. And we are also trying to decide on the balcony. For us, it is the time I can get off for Fall Recess at the school where I work. We know that it will be chilly, but are hoping that the fall colors will still be around. But we are also thinking, any cruise is better than no cruise. Good Luck with your decision!!

:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I hope you get to go this year and next year both!

I saw an interesting one March 15, 2009, 12 nights, on the Explorer. It starts at Cape Liberty and goes to the Southern Carribbean. You might have to reserve it soon. That's right around spring break from schools here in the US.

Archived