Passport AND photo id?

walkman4

Hey. We are going to St. Thomas and St. Martin. All of us have our passports except for three children who will be using birth certificates, they are 10, 12, and 14. I am hearing that you need your passport AND a photo id to get back on the ship at these islands. If this is true, what about our three children that do not have photo id's? Will they be ok to get back on? Please help.

Every person MUST HAVE a passport when traveling to any foreign country, whatever their age.

For domestic airline travel the best ID for minors is a passport.

Steve

We are on a closed loop cruise ship from P.Canaveral to the Eastern Caribbean. I know it is best to have passports for all people even children but it is not required yet is it? These children are my brothers kids and I am concerned we might have problems, but I understand that it is policy that they can cruise on just their birth certificates? Thank you.

We are on a closed loop cruise ship from P.Canaveral to the Eastern Caribbean. I know it is best to have passports for all people even children but it is not required yet is it? These children are my brothers kids and I am concerned we might have problems, but I understand that it is policy that they can cruise on just their birth certificates? Thank you.

Don't forget written permission from the parents for them to travel with you and a statement allowing you to make any necessary medical decisions. While seldom asked for without them you can be denied boarding.

Cheers,

Hey. We are going to St. Thomas and St. Martin. All of us have our passports except for three children who will be using birth certificates, they are 10, 12, and 14. I am hearing that you need your passport AND a photo id to get back on the ship at these islands. If this is true, what about our three children that do not have photo id's? Will they be ok to get back on? Please help.

The rules keep changing as far as passports it seems! I think the deadline has been extended until the end of the year where EVERYONE traveling will need a passport regardless of age. Do check the government website just to be sure.

You do NOT need your passport to get back on the ship. However, some ports require anyone over the age of 16 to have a photo ID so a driver's license will be fine. We never take our passports off the ship for fear of losing them. They could come in handy though if one does get stuck for some reason but we never do.

Please also keep in mind that the children's birth certificates must be "certified" or the real document - not just regular photocopies. We always took along certified copies before we got our passports. One more thing - if you are the temporary guardians for your brother's childen, the letter you need to take along stating that information will have to be notarized and if you or your wife is a notary, that is NOT recommended - the letter must be notarized by a third party (meaning someone who is not related to you or is not going on the cruise with you). The reason being is because you have what's called a "direct interest" in the children's guardianship while on this trip. Trust me on that one - I'm 100% right because my son's friend traveled with us and I too had to get that notarized letter and upon check-in, they WILL look it over to make sure you have the proper documentation - you could be denied boarding if it's not notarized. They're very strict about that!

Hope that helps!

Laurie

As far as the passport rule goes--it was finalized March of this year; US passengers on RT cruises from the US do not and will not need passports as far as the US government is concerned.

Air pax already need passports; as of June 2009 land border crossings will need passport (or passcard or EDL). But RT cruisers can always use BC and DL.

Carnival, RCCL and Celebrity have updated their websites to reflect the final rule; Princess, HAL and NCL have not. The latter two have made updates since the rule was issued but managed to get it wrong and both say "The government requires a passport for all cruisers" which is erroneous. (They both need better lawyers reading the regs!)

I think it is potentially a mistake & irresponsible of your brother to send his sons overseas w/out passports. Things can happen, and should someone have to be airlifted from a foreign land, there will be nothing but trouble upon arrival here.

Steve

Thank you Laurie!:D

You are welcome! As mentioned below, if everyone has a passport, that will be a load off your mind in case anything did happen so let's hope everything goes smooth for you! All these things we have to worry about, eh?!

Laurie

Archived