star--dolphin deck mini balcony uncovered?

golferdog

Hi all--planning for a 30 day Star in Sept-09 and weighing a caribe balcony versus a dolphin mini-suite--can anyone offer any 1st hand input on these cabins? is the dolphin viewable from above as the caribe is?--or would it be protected from rain?--thanx for the help:)

The balcony on the Dolphin deck is totally uncovered and viewable from those above. The minisuites on the Emerald deck are totally covered if you can get one of those, you may be happier if you are concerned about being exposed.

All Dolphin mini suites are totally uncovered. Caribe balconies are 1/2 covered 1/2 open.

However for a 30 day cruise I'd take the mini suite on the Dolphin for the extra space (great bathroom too!)

Unless you can get an Emerald mini, thise are 100% covered.

I agree with BLS. I have been in both Dolphin and Emerald decks for the mini's and while i did not mind having the uncovered balcony I would in my opinion would pick the Emerald covered mini as you are gone on a long cruise. If the cruise was shorter than the Dolphin uncovered would be just fine. I have never minded the uncovered balcony. I just look up, wave to the people looking at me, they wave back we get on with our lives. I will be on the emerald deck on the Star this coming Oct. as we are going to the Mex. Rivera and the sun is beating down and that is in a mini.

Marilyn

Just back from the Star to Alaska, in Caribe 202. Here is a good shot of the Dophin (left side) vs Caribe (in the middle of the shot).

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2159480680014787204tgYjMk

According to the folks below us on Dolphin, their balcony began just short of where ours ended.

Big balcony was great, but it for an extended cruise, in a warmer climate, I think I'd rather have the larger cabin.

We just did Star to Alaska had a mini on Dolphin deck. 4 of us in a room. LOVED the mini. DH and 2-DS's 15 & 18 both 6 ' 2" So so so glad we had the bigger shower/tub, bigger room, and 4 of us could fit on the deck.

Did NOT regret paying the extra money. Yes people could see us, but we would just wave. Lots of times it was too cold to stay out there for long periods of time, so sometimes, DH was the only one out sitting, as far as he could see..

Never had the Emerald deck, but we loved our mini on dolpin deck.

Hi all--planning for a 30 day Star in Sept-09 and weighing a caribe balcony versus a dolphin mini-suite--can anyone offer any 1st hand input on these cabins? is the dolphin viewable from above as the caribe is?--or would it be protected from rain?--thanx for the help:)

It sounds like you will be in Europe for your cruise. For that length of cruise I would highly recommend the minisuite on Dolphin deck unless you can get one on Emerald. The only disadvantage to the Emerald deck is that you may be stuck under the Riviera lounge and you can hear the band at night. You will be much happier for the extra room in the mini. We usually choose a cabin on Dolphin deck no matter where we are cruising if it's a long one.

Archived