September ... Weather, Shopping and Wildlife ??

mozart1999

Hello ¡¡

Im planning a late september (19th. to 26th.) cruise and have some questions for those experts in Alaska :

1.- How is the weather ? How cold ?, How rainy ?

2.- Is there a "going out for the season shopping opportunity" in souvenirs and high end local arts and crafts ?

3.- Is a good season for whales and bears ?, are the salmon running ?

4.- are good tours to see those animals in ketchikan and/or Juneau, even it is late in the season ?

Thank You :)

i did a cruise in '06, that late in the season...

1) yes, rain is more then possible. some get lucky....we had rain in 2 ports, juneau and ketchikan. in ketchikan, it was so heavy we just went back to the ship. day temps were between mid-40s to high 50s. rain and sleet in juneau.

2) the shelves were almost bare. the line were so long, we did shop...didn't want to miss our ship because of long lines at stores.:eek: .

prices were great, if you could find anything you wanted. at one of the t-shirt shop, the lines were over an hour long. people would make it to the register with their one basket and their family/friends would show up with 10 more baskets of merchandise.

3) salmon aren't running that late, that means the bears aren't around either...others can commen on that, since the tours weren't available, i didn't get to see bears. the humpbacks are there...feeding for their hawaii migration.

4) juneau for whale watching....all cruise season.

Shopping is the forte in this timeframe. :) Many many sales to consider.

However, you are sailing at the worse potential weather, so being well prepared will make all the difference to you. On average, expect 3 days of rain, temps, 40-50, dark by 7pm. Good rain gear necessary.

You are too late- probably for bear tours, humpbacks are there well after the cruise season ends. The two times I went in this timeframe, no active salmon runs, and a lot of dead fish. :)

Hello ¡¡

Im planning a late september (19th. to 26th.) cruise and have some questions for those experts in Alaska :

1.- How is the weather ? How cold ?, How rainy ?

2.- Is there a "going out for the season shopping opportunity" in souvenirs and high end local arts and crafts ?

3.- Is a good season for whales and bears ?, are the salmon running ?

4.- are good tours to see those animals in ketchikan and/or Juneau, even it is late in the season ?

Thank You :)

We went first week of September in 2006. We got rain in Ketchikan and Juneau (pouring first, then turned into cloudy). Skagway was ok, and Carcross is sunny all the way. It wasn't too cold except of the day we sailed into Tracy's Arm.

I don't see much a sale on the high end arts crafts store(maybe I am a lousy bargainer) But many gift shops have 50-70% off sale.

We saw a lot of whales on the cruiseship and 3 bears on the shore in Tracy's Arm. You definitely need a pair of good binoculars to see them. We also see Salmon run in Juneau. Not sure whether it is going in late September.

Thank You for all the information.

For those who have been in a late september cruise, If the price is right, it´s worth to take your chance with the weather ?

And, one last question, How about Aurora viewing ?

Ok, I know it depend on a clean sky, but is a better chance in a late september cruise ? ..... some experiences please.

Thank You again.

we never had a clear sky, at night, to even try to see the northern lights.

that same time, someone leaving from whittier (we sailed out of seattle) did get a glimpse of them, once.

yes, it's dark enough...but sighting are better more north then the cruise goes.

if you don't mind the chance of rain and less chance for wildlife viewing (except for humpbacks)..yes, it's fine. we were well prepared...knew what weather to expect. even with that, in ketchikan it was just raining too hard...and i really wanted to see the totems.

1298739176_06CathiinSkagway.jpg.f37280a213531b816f77442768e126a1.jpg

Archived