Questions on StingRay City

sunrheas

I am using the cruise line for my excursions. I want to know if anyone can tell me, after you go to the Turtle Farm, and Hell do you have time to change into your swim wear or should I wear it under my other clothes?:confused:

I am using the cruise line for my excursions. I want to know if anyone can tell me, after you go to the Turtle Farm, and Hell do you have time to change into your swim wear or should I wear it under my other clothes?:confused:

You might be able to change on the boat, but I wear my swimwear.

When I went we took the van from Hell to the docks, where you wait to board the boat in what is more or less a dirt parking lot. No place to change really (although there may have been a bathroom on the boat - I can't remember).

My advice is to wear it under your clothing. I did a similar tour and there was very little time and the only place to change was a very small restroom on the boat. Everyone in our group wore theirs.

There was one bathroom on the boat, but everybody was trying to use it. I wasn't getting in the water, but my DH just wore his swim trunks with a T-shirt for the tour beforehand. He was worried about having to wear a wet swimsuit back, but it takes a loooooong time to get back to shore. He was dried off by the time we got back.

The ride on the boat out to the stingrays was fairly quick, but on the way back the captain and his gilligan kept pushing their pictures they took and was printing them off on the boat before you got to shore. We were literally a captive audience. I swear it took 45 minutes to get back to shore when it only took 20 minutes to go out.

Thank you everyone. We will wear our swimwear under our clothes. Jeff we only have a few weeks and I am so excited. See you soon.

:D

There was one bathroom on the boat, but everybody was trying to use it. I wasn't getting in the water, but my DH just wore his swim trunks with a T-shirt for the tour beforehand. He was worried about having to wear a wet swimsuit back, but it takes a loooooong time to get back to shore. He was dried off by the time we got back.

The ride on the boat out to the stingrays was fairly quick, but on the way back the captain and his gilligan kept pushing their pictures they took and was printing them off on the boat before you got to shore. We were literally a captive audience. I swear it took 45 minutes to get back to shore when it only took 20 minutes to go out.

Ugh! How perfectly miserable! That's one reason I would NEVER do excursions through the cruiseline. And this excursion especially! And those boats were cram packed with people - shoulder to shoulder. The independent operators are MUCH better.

You are going to love this excursion. We went in October and my husband who had never even been in the ocean was chasing the stingrays down to pet them. On the other hand my dad was a little scared of them. Considering it was right after the guy got killed by one I guess I can understand. I loved it. As for not taking the ships excursions. I guess there are pros (the boat won't leave you no matter what) and cons (the price might be higher). How much is it to catch up with the boat if you miss it??????;)

Over eight cruises...

This is still the BEST Excursion I have ever done.

Well done and worth every penny.

and, dont be surprised if you find yourself as excited about the turtles as you are the stingrays...the turtles are absolutely amazing.

Stingrays are very well "trained" as they have literally been raised with tourists. They are used to humans being around.

As for Hell...well, remember the huge ball of string on the side of the way! Well, that is about what Hell is like (but it is very fascinating to see for a least a few minutes.)

I would recommend doing the Stingray trip before the other two bits, if that is possible.

Stingray City with Captain Marvin's, or another independent operator, will see you on a boat with half a dozen people. A cruise line trip will see about three dozen people. Not nearly as good for the extra money!!!

The Turtle Farm has hundreds and hundreds of turtles kept in far too small a space and a huge amount have sores on their necks where they rub against each other. Although it should be said, far more survive in captivity than if they were wild, so there are pros and cons. It's interesting and anything that helps educate people about conservation is a good thing.

I thought Hell is a waste of time and effort. It's a red shack with some writing about Jesus on the wall, and a man in a silly suit that says, "How the hell are you" about 500 times a day. I'm sure plenty enjoy it though, you can send a postcard.

Archived