vow renewal on QM2

Marcys

Hi I have never done it since i'm not married but I know that towards the beginning of your cruise the social director posts a time in your daily program when to met in the champagne bar on deck 3. She will do the arranging for you. Hope this helps

When we were on QM2 last time we were celebrating our 20th anniversary a little early (about 2 months) and my husband surprised me by arranging to have us renew our vows!

There were about 8 couples on our ship - it was done around 5 on Friday night. I think it was in The Queen's Room right after tea. Since it was a formal night almost everyone was dressed up (my husband was in a tux and I had on a long gown) - I remember one couple was in day clothes. At the time the onboard chaplain was a Catholic priest (I'm Catholic but my husband is Jewish) and he led a very nice non-denominational service of about 15-20 minutes. All the couples were introduced in order of years married. The social director (a lovely woman, sorry I can't remember her name 3 years later) was also there. After the homily by the priest and the vow renewal (he also read a poem) we mingled for a while with a glass of champagne (Veuve Cliquot I am happy to report) and cake. We got a pretty certificate to remember the service and a card signed by the Captain.

My husband is not a "romantic" - I rarely get flowers or any kind of surprises from him, most gifts are gift cards or "jokey" gifts - cute but not romantic, so this was a very big surprise when the invitation was left in our cabin.

I don't know if it has changed in the past three years, but I thought it was a lovely way to renew our vows.

Agree with Estelle. The ceremony is very tasteful and is a non denominational. It is to the best of our knowledge usually conducted by a Catholic priest. The sign up is only mentioned in the Daily Programme on 1 day so if interested, look for it. It is held at 5:30 in the Queens room on the last formal night. The Social host is in charge.

Thank you all for your information. It sounds like a very nice low key affair. (Some of the cruise lines charge up to $300 for this!).

I will look for it in the program on day 1. I would like to surprise hubby. We will be married 28 years this summer. I just bought a new dress that he LOVES. He will want me to wear it the first formal night. Now I just need to figure out how to avoid wearing it until the last night.

We renewed ours on QE2 on the January Crossing. There was an announcement in the daily programe for the ceremony a day before to sign up for it. It took place in the Yacht Club on QE2. There were quite a variety of couples present and it was quite tastefully done by a Catholic priest I believe, but totally non-denominational. The whole ceremony last about 45 minutes and there was a cake as well. For us, it was just one more thing to make our trip even more special. We received a certificate as well honoring the occasion, but I can't remember if Captain McNaught signed that one.

My teens suggested I bring along a plastic wine glass to step on and break per Jewish tradition!

We were married by a rabbi under a chuppah so it was appropriate to have our vows renewed by a priest - all bases officially covered!

I think my husband actually stepped on a lightbulb - guaranteed to break unlike a wine glass.

Don't break your vows. Then you won't need to renew them.

Thinking it's a nice thing, I have several times mentioned the renewal of vows to my husband (of almost 41 years) and each time he asks "When do they expire?" He thinks there is no need to renew until then...unnecessary and redundant.

He has a point (and I'm a lucky person!)

Judy

Thinking it's a nice thing, I have several times mentioned the renewal of vows to my husband (of almost 41 years) and each time he asks "When do they expire?" He thinks there is no need to renew until then...unnecessary and redundant.

Judy

Sounds like you've got a good one!

Judy

I'm not going to argue with your husband's charming way of thinking - but since it was an unsolicited, completely unexpected gesture on my husband's part - I cherish the memory.

In today's world to stand up and say "I picked the right person to marry 10, 15, 20, 40, etc years ago and I would do it again" is always something to applaud. I've been to way too many expensive, extravagant weddings for couples who are now divorced. I'd much rather celebrate those of us who have made our marriages work and are not only just "still together" but want to publicly announce it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marmarjudy

Judy

I'm not going to argue with your husband's charming way of thinking - but since it was an unsolicited, completely unexpected gesture on my husband's part - I cherish the memory.

In today's world to stand up and say "I picked the right person to marry 10, 15, 20, 40, etc years ago and I would do it again" is always something to applaud. I've been to way too many expensive, extravagant weddings for couples who are now divorced. I'd much rather celebrate those of us who have made our marriages work and are not only just "still together" but want to publicly announce it!

Estelle:

I so envy you for your romantic husband! I didn't get one of those types, obviously, and, as I have mentioned, the renewal of vows appeals to me, a lot, but each time I mention it to him I always get the same answer: "Let me know when they expire." Hmmm....does he want out? :-) Luckily, I know the answer to that is no. And I also know, for sure, that if I pushed him he would do it for me. I just figure that I'll wait another 10 or 20 years (I hope!)when he doesn't really know what he's agreeing to, and then do it, and we'll both be happy :-)

Judy

We've been married 28 years and my husband, who is facing his 4th recurrence of cancer, has always wanted to do a transatlantic crossing on one of the Cunard ships. So, we are sailing October 10 on QM2 and I thought I would make it extra special by surprising him with the vow renewal. He is the romantic type and I know he would be really touched by this.

We've been married 28 years and my husband, who is facing his 4th recurrence of cancer, has always wanted to do a transatlantic crossing on one of the Cunard ships. So, we are sailing October 10 on QM2 and I thought I would make it extra special by surprising him with the vow renewal. He is the romantic type and I know he would be really touched by this.

It will make the renewal even more meaningful under those circumstances. Have a wonderful trip and best wishes to both of you!

Judy,

He's not romantic - and it's not just me "complaining" - when we returned everyone was stunned that Bill had arranged it - our kids, my parents, our friends and other family members. It's not a question of being happy or whether he loves me - I know the answers to that, but this was way out of character for him - he doesn't even like to hold my hand in public.

I think it was the sea and the ship. A T/A crossing was a life-long dream of his and he get very caught up in the atmosphere on board and it truly became a second honeymoon. That's why we are going back on her in September!

Judy,

He's not romantic - and it's not just me "complaining" - when we returned everyone was stunned that Bill had arranged it - our kids, my parents, our friends and other family members. It's not a question of being happy or whether he loves me - I know the answers to that, but this was way out of character for him - he doesn't even like to hold my hand in public.

I think it was the sea and the ship. A T/A crossing was a life-long dream of his and he get very caught up in the atmosphere on board and it truly became a second honeymoon. That's why we are going back on her in September!

Ann,

Since this T/A is my dream come true, not his, and he is going for me (not quite kicking and screaming, but almost, but definitely just for me) I'll be perfectly happy with being on the cruise. He loves cruising, just doesn't get the appeal of the 6 days with no ports. We'll see. Maybe he will get caught up in the moment, but I'm not holding my breath.

And good for you, going back in September!

Judy

Archived