Weather Question: Which way to go?

sdfamily

I know predicting the weather is crazy, but here goes....

We're planning a 9 night RV trip starting on the 21st of June. We've originally planned to go to Anchorage-Denali-Fairbanks-Valdez-Anchorage (i.e. clockwise).

If the weather is bad near Denali, should we go counter-clockwise and visit Valdez first? Hoping that the weather clears near Denali?

The only reservations I have are in Denali (Savage River) and I made them on both ends and I'll cancel the ones I don't need.

Then head for the good weather. That's what we do when possible (such as our 29-day RV tour of New Zealand a few months ago), and it does work.

It depends on what you want to do in either place. Personally, I would look at the weather in Valdez, and pick what looked best for it. Reason: there's more likely to be bad weather in Valdez, so if it looked good at the beginning of the trip, I would head there first. If you're looking for good weather to see Denali, even on a nice day, there is no guarantee of Denali being visible, as the sky can be clear except for clouds around Denali. Unfortunately, even if it was visible from Anchorage, by the time you got there, it might not be.

Then head for the good weather. That's what we do when possible (such as our 29-day RV tour of New Zealand a few months ago), and it does work.

Hi Yukon - A bit off topic, but you don't happen to have a review or pics from that trip do you? I know you didn't cruise, but I want to go to NZ and I respect your opinion. Sorry if I've asked you this before.

Hi Yukon - A bit off topic, but you don't happen to have a review or pics from that trip do you? I know you didn't cruise, but I want to go to NZ and I respect your opinion.

Thanks for asking. It was an incredible trip, with a rather lengthy photojournal posted at http://www.explorenorthtours.com/nz/north_island.html If you have any questions feel free to ask by PM - http://www.explorenorthtours.com/contact.html

Murray

It depends on what you want to do in either place. Personally, I would look at the weather in Valdez, and pick what looked best for it. Reason: there's more likely to be bad weather in Valdez, so if it looked good at the beginning of the trip, I would head there first.

I find bad weather to be much less limiting in Valdez, though - even in the rain you can usually see most of the mountains.

I find bad weather to be much less limiting in Valdez, though - even in the rain you can usually see most of the mountains.

I guess it's just been my luck to be on the road when you couldn't hardly see the road through the pass for the clouds/rain.

Archived