Is it possible and better yet reasonable

We will be staying pre/post cruise (3 + 1) in Rome next year and are trying to line up private tours

Is it possible/reasonable to drive to and experience --

1) Assisi, Todi and Orevito in a day trip?

2) Pompeii and Positano in a day trip?

The company I am working with said that they would be very long and stressful trips and just to stick with...

1) Assisi and Todi

2) Pompeii

Not knowing the distance, the roads, etc...has anyone done these in day trips? And are they stressful, long, etc...

Any info on these areas would be great... We are trying to make the most of our time in the Rome area before getting on the ship.

Oh and we have a day and a half just touring around Rome.

Much depends on your traveling style.

For example, my brother would do at least that much each day. I call him a check-off traveler (wants to check-off as many places as possible). I wouldn't dream of trying to see all that much in a day. I'd rather see few place, but have the time to get to know the places I do see a bit. My brother calls me an old f**t traveler.

You COULD do the full itineraries, but you won't have much time to actually see much. I would be particularly concerned with the Pompeii/Amalfi. Rome ->Naples is heavily travelled by trucks. Not a easy drive. In fact, I would MUCH prefer to take the train to Pompeii (transfer in Naples) even if someone else is doing the drive.

Paul

Paul,

Could you explain to me about the train to Pompeii? Not being a "world traveler," I always thought it easy to just have a person do the driving... Is it more scenic on a train? Faster? Once in Naples then what? My BIL had polio and wears a leg brace.. would it be difficult for him as far as walking? He is a trooper, but I don't want to have him majorily hurting...Are you saying to only do Pompeii..or catch the train to go to Positano?

We too are old..... but we figure how often will we get back to Italy... I got a recommendation from a CCer for IC Bellagio in Italy for tours.. they seem high.. but then I checked Rome in Limo and the price point was similar.. any experience with any of them? If we stay in a hotel by the Via Vento are we close to the trains, etc. One thing we didn't want to do is go with a bus load of people that you have to wait on to potty :D or them wait on us :eek:

Thanks again for your input.. having never been there, I am clueless as how to get around...seeing the most we can and having the best "Roman Holiday" ever !

Tory

Ciao,

You can easily find the distance between cities by going to the following website. Just fill in the start & ending destinations, and the estimated mileage will be displayed.

http://maps.google.com/

The estimated driving time from Rome to Orvieto is approx. 1-1/2 hours. The estimated driving time from Orvieto to Assisi is another 1-1/2 hours, and Todi is located along the way.

To do all three in a day seems unlikely in my opinion. You will have close to 6-hrs of total driving time (At least). 1-1/2 Rome to Orvieto, 1-1/2 hr Orvieto to Assisi, and then 2-1/2 hours from Assisi back ro Rome. You will have minimal time to appreciate each location. JMHO

The Pompeii/Positano scenario doesn't look feasible for a day trip. Estimated travel time from Rome to Positano is 3-1/2 hour one way, and that assumes you do not encounter any traffic.

Its up to you, but whatever you decide make sure your planning gives you sufficient time to enjoy your locations once you get to them. The day will tend to go quickly.:eek:

Just sometime to consider regarding time allocation:

We have a 9-hr tour leaving from Civitavecchia, going to Tuscannia, Civita di Bagnoregio & Orvieto. Our driving time is much less than the one you are considering, and yet our tour operator indicated that 9-hrs would be the minimum time he would suggest for our tour in order to give us a reasonable amount of time in each location.

Have a wonderful time, whatever you decide to do.

Stay well,

CorgiGuy

We do a lot of driving in Italy and I have a few thoughts (what else is new) about the OP. As someone else said, much does depend on the style of the traveler. If you want to simply drive around Italy, so you can say your drove around Italy, and ultimately see very little, than certainly do the very intense itineraries. We have spent a few nights in Assisi, and its a nice place. But, as a day trip from Rome you are looking at more than 5 hours round trip (possibly more depending on where you start in Rome and the traffic). Assisi is primarily a walking town (very hilly) and you probably should allow at least 2 1/2 hour (a bare minimum) in the city, and you still have not even taken the time for a nice lunch. That adds up to nearly 8 hours, and its just to see one relatively small city. Todi is convenient on the route, but I would not call it one of the highlights of Italy (we have also spent 2 nights in Todi). Personally, I would never consider going to Assisi as a day trip because its just too darn far. But, if you are determined, than just do that trip and if you still have time (and the energy) on the way back to Rome, you can than decide to stop at Orvieto (nice hill town). One of the nice things about having your own car/driver is that you can be flexible. As to Pompeii and Positano, yeah, that can be done on a day trip. But, if your cruise will take your to either Naples or Sorrento, you might want to consider scheduling that trip from one of those ports. The drive from Rome to Positano will take about 3 1/2 hours each way (it could be longer depending on traffic) with Pompeii a short deviation off the road. Doing some math you are talking 7 hours on the road (minimum), 2 hours at Pompeii (very minimum), and maybe an hour in Positano (just enough time to run out of the car, take a quick look, than back in the car) and you have a 10 hour day where you did not even have time for a leisurely lunch (we love to grab a bite in Positano), rushed through Pompeii (easily worthy of 3 -4 hour visit), and missed both Amalfi and Ravello which should be a part of any visit to the Amalfi Coast. Also keep in mind that once you reach Naples (coming from Rome) the roads get somewhat "iffy" with frequent construction along the Naples - Sorrento road and than its all 2 lane with frequent traffic issues. We have driven on the Amalfi Drive many times (just spent 4 nights in Praiano in May) and have seen simple "stand-offs" between 2 buses stop traffic for 10 - 15 min (not uncommon near Positano). We have driven from Sorrento to Positano in less than an hour one day, and than its taken 1 1/2 hours the following day (traffic). Pompeii would actually be an easier one-day trip from Rome (and a lot cheaper) by taking the excellent train from Rome to Naples, and than changing to the Circumvesuviania Line train which drops you right at Pompeii (Pompeii Scavi Station). Not only is this train combination a fraction of the cost of a car (2nd class on the very fast ES train is about 36 Euros), its quite fast since the ES only takes 1 1/2 hours from Rome to Sorrento plus about 20 min to Pompeii. Your total train fare would be about 85 Euros round trip, plus the 11 or 12 Euro admission ticket to Pompeii. You could also elect to join an English speaking tour at Pompeii for about 10 Euros per person, or you can simply rent the audio tour and do it yourself.

I do have another thought regarding Assisi. Are you aware that you can take the train from Rome to Assisi in about 2:15 (each way) and the 2nd class fare in only 9.40 Euros (14.70 first class)? That is actually a lot cheaper than hiring a driver (often more than 300 Euros per day) and its also faster. Personally, we love to drive in Italy since it gives us maximum flexibility, but if your goal is to simply go to specific cities than the train is often a better option.

Hank

Just my opinion... but you could easily spend all your time just in Rome. It would be easier, cheaper, less stressful, more efficient, and just as interesting. Or, take one day for a day trip to Naples and Pompeii via train. The train would probably be faster than a private car, as well as cheaper.

If you want more day trips, what about ones closer to Rome like Tivoli, Ostia, or a wine country tour.

Wow, such excellent ideas... that is why I love this board ! I am beginning to think (although I would LOVE to see Positano-- and, no our ship doesn't go to Naples or Sorrento) that I will save it for another time. I don't want to wear us out before we even get on the ship and then there will be 10 days of "so much to see." As far as Assisi, I have always had a special place in my heart for St. Francis and I wanted the enjoyment of the countryside.. I am afraid if I do the train with no flexibility to stop here and there (I am assuming a private tour will do that).. there wouldn't be any countryside experiences. I think that the train would be yet another experience to do.. since we (here in Texas) don't have the luxury of public trains so that would yet be another "unique" thing. I guess I am a romantic at heart and just thought that Sorrento and Positano would be so wonderful to see.. next time perhaps :rolleyes: Or.. maybe I could have someone from Naples drive us down just for Lunch in Sorrento? Lots to think about and a year to plan.. with the economy like it is, I am sure this will be a trip that won't happen too often so I wanted it to be the best..

Thanks again for all the info and if you have more.. keep it coming.... I have been recommended the Hotel Barroco in Rome.. is it good?

Tory

Archived