Retirement Ideas

JessiMommy

My dad is retiring from the FAA after 30+ years of service in January 2005. He is taking my Mom, myself, DH, DD, Brother & SIL on the Victory as a way of celebrating. I'm wondering if you all have some ideas of things we can do for him while on board the ship. Any & all ideas would be appreciated!! :D

What about the idea of having a steel drum band waiting for him as he disembarks at your first port (depends on your itinerary I suppose) and have them play a couple of retirement appropriate songs for him, or some of his favorites. I'd bet other posters here could come up with some ideas.. they escape me at this point.. have no idea what this would cost, but I'll bet the tourism development office of any of the islands could put you in touch with a band or bands..

I'm sure you could arrange some sort of signal to the band as to when to start, as he heads down the gangplank.. strikes me as something fun and memorable.. If it were me I'd arrange to have one in your party manage to sneak off first with a video camera to capture his expression as he realizes the band is there just for him.

Might cap the moment off by presenting him with a truly garish hawaiian type shirt to wear on his first day on the islands as well.

He's certainly interested in togetherness, and in travel. What are some other interests he might not have been able to pursue until now? Can you arrange for some sample lessons/tastes? Eg a couple of dance lessons just for your group? Fishing? Art appreciation? Painting? Horse back riding? Acting? Drink mixing? Cooking? Between his wife and your siblings, you might be able to comply quite a list. Some consultation with the cruise director should allow you to present him with a daily surprise to spark his enthusiasm for this new phase.

Took my Dad on his retirement after 37 years of teaching. Held a private formal party on the ship. They all have rooms for this type of occasion. Although not requested but very welcome, the Captain, First Officer and Ships Doctor dropped in for a bit. Dad was impressed. It all led to dinner with the Captain two nights later, a private tour of the ship and one heck of a big cake, again not requested for our final night a sea. Speak to the company, tell them you want it to be special, see the cruise director soon as you get onboard to sort out the details and they will be more than glad to make it all happen. I must add, for a price.

Enjoy your cruise and all the best to your dad. May he have a long and happy retirement!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived