What is it like departing without using US Direct?

UF G8R

I reported on my US direct experience out of Vancouver earlier this week and there is debate as to if it is worth the price, or worth anything at all. Could someone who disembarked in Vancouver and went directly to the airport on without using either the cruise line transfer or the baggage transfer program please report on how long it took and what their experience was like? Please include the day of the week and time of day as well as the actual date. Thanks

I have no experience with the US Direct service because the Patter report an incorrect due date & time. Departing to the US from Vancouver is a time consuming activity.

We did purchase transfers from Princess but were too late for the other options.

We boarded the bus to the airport and the trip took about 40 minutes to the point where we got off the bus. We then lined up to get our bags which were handled from the ship to the airport. This took about 20 minutes but was fairly well organized. Once we had our bags we proceeded to the airline counter for check-in. We were on Alaska Air and the desk is right where we gathered our luggage and there was no line. The agent issued our boarding passes and tagged our bags. We then line up to go through Canadian customs & immigration. No big deal but there were a ton of people doing the exact same thing. Next up, US customs & immigration, same ton of people since the terminal is only for US departures. Now you put your bags on the conveyor belts and line up for security.

I would say it was at least a couple of hours but our flight was not until later in the afternoon. It is just a pain to travel through Canadian airports which include the US processing as well. Don't even get me started on Toronto.

TJ

Ouch!!!

Maybe we should re-think our plans. We have a 12:30 flight, which normally wouldn't be a problem - and might not be this time. Regardless, we will check into US Direct as an alternative.

Ouch!!!

Maybe we should re-think our plans. We have a 12:30 flight, which normally wouldn't be a problem - and might not be this time. Regardless, we will check into US Direct as an alternative.

I HIGHLY recommend US Direct. We did not have to deal with our luggage at all except to put it outside our door. There were virtually no lines at the airport. Our passports and boarding passes were checked on the bus - no lines. We handed our customs form directly to an official - no line. It took less than 10 minutes to go through security. We even had a narrated tour of Vancouver on the way to the airport. Totally stress-free!:D We had a 12:30 flight and were at the airport all checked in by 10:30 and we were in the last US Direct (SEBS, as HAL calls it) group leaving the ship.

This was our first time disembarking in Vancouver but in 2005 we started our cruise there and it took 5-6 hours from the time that we reached the cruise terminal for people to get on the ship. That does not count the time spent at the airport and getting to the terminal (usually 2 hours or so). We came by bus transfer from Seattle and went directly to the Canada Place. Our friends who did US Direct to the ship said that it was a breeze - no waiting at all. You might want to consider US Direct both ways unless you plan to spend time in Vancouver berfore or after the cruise.

Judynorth, We have a later flight out of Vancouver (3:00PM) are there places to get a snack or magazine in the area you wait for your flights if you use the US Direct?

Yes, there are several restaurants including a Tim Horton's and an Asian place, both fast food. There is also what appears to be a seafood place. We were in the area of the airport where all US bound flights departed. At that point we were with regular passangers, not just US Direct. We couldn't go to any other areas of the airport though.

BTW, I don't think any of the cruiselines call the program US Direct. HAL calles it SEBS (Signature Express Baggage Service) and Princess calls it EZ Check. No one on the ship was familiar with the term US Direct. From what I heard while we waited on the ship for our bus to the airport, HAL apparently offers a city tour along with SEBS for those who have later flights. I don't know if you have to go through the regular lines at the airport if you do this. It does relieve you of having to deal with your luggage.

I reported on my US direct experience out of Vancouver earlier this week and there is debate as to if it is worth the price, or worth anything at all. Could someone who disembarked in Vancouver and went directly to the airport on without using either the cruise line transfer or the baggage transfer program please report on how long it took and what their experience was like? Please include the day of the week and time of day as well as the actual date. Thanks

I just came off Island Princess on Monday 6/16 in Vancouver.. She was the only ship in port. From the time we left the ship (8:30 a.m.) until we were sitting in a chair in the duty free section of the airport (9:45) a total of 1 hr. 15 mins. I asked the U.s. customs inspector about this choice. he said the total time without EZ Check can be an additional 2 to 3 hrs. I agree with TJ, the time on the bus in rush hour was spent getting a nice "tour" of the city by our driver.

NOW, our traveling companions, who were flighted out on Air Canada, took about 2 hrs. - not much more than our 1.25 hrs. However, if you are arriving with a lot of ships, perhaps this additional 2 hrs. will kick in. But for us, it doesn't seem we saved much on the front end. On the back end, Princess lost one of our suitcases. Our final destination was Philly with a change of planes in Detroit. Luggage off the ship is tagged for Detroit and they are suppose to retag them on shore with the final destination. I guess 2 out of 3 isn't bad; I think a lot of baseball players would like that average!!! What I do think we saved, and worth the additional money to us, is we never lifted a suitcase from the time we put it outside our cabin until we arrived in Philly. We didn't need porters, carts, etc.

Hope this info helps. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Kathleen

I just came off Island Princess on Monday 6/16 in Vancouver.. She was the only ship in port. From the time we left the ship (8:30 a.m.) until we were sitting in a chair in the duty free section of the airport (9:45) a total of 1 hr. 15 mins. I asked the U.s. customs inspector about this choice. he said the total time without EZ Check can be an additional 2 to 3 hrs. I agree with TJ, the time on the bus in rush hour was spent getting a nice "tour" of the city by our driver.

Hope this info helps. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Kathleen

Kathleen,

What was your last port before arriving in Vancouver? I have read that if you are coming from a U.S. port you can use the service. but we are in Victoria before Vancouver and I think we are out of luck.

Kathleen,

What was your last port before arriving in Vancouver? I have read that if you are coming from a U.S. port you can use the service. but we are in Victoria before Vancouver and I think we are out of luck.

US Direct is reportedly available on the Tahitian Princess, as you do not really clear customs in Victoria. We are sailing on June 26 and have already purchased EZ Check transfers through our travel agent, who also confirms that US Direct should be available to us.

Archived