Hemingway's house

Wildcatllamas

Hemingway's House is at 908 Whitehead so if you walk off the docks past that big, red-brick building, the Key West Art & Historical Society, Whitehead is just on the other side. It will take maybe 10 minutes.

If you walk one block back to Petronia and make a left (away from Duval) Blue Heaven is two blocks away at Thomas Street. If you walk over to Duval and make a right the Banana Cafe is in the 1300 or 1400 block. (they are moving 1 block from their current location).

Pjk

It's nice to walk around the house and look at the many photos on the walls and then to walk around the grounds and pool area since the grounds are very nice and well kept. There is a good gift shop where you can buy copies of his books and photos, etc. (Books can be had cheaper at the bookstore on Fleming). You can only look into the writing room since some of his things have been left there - stuffed animal heads and skins and bric-a-brac.

But as far as I can tyell much of what the tour guides tell you has been made up to make the history of the house more colorful; there were no cats on the grounds when Hemingway lived there. The pool was not built while he was away as a surprise. Much of the furniture was bought and installed after Mary sold the house after Ernest's death. Peopl are welcome to believe what they like, I suppose.

Pjk

Some of the tour info is "creative." However, I read a story (that I'll have to dig out the source) that a sea captain had this five toed cat and Hemingway really liked the thing and it was given to him. I might have those details mixed up but that's the basic part of the story.

Now, of course, there are tons of cats at the house. Cute little buggers.

We have stayed in Key West a couple of times and both times went to the Hemingway House. We are cat lovers, the house and grounds are beautiful, and we just love the novelty of it all. So, I guess I would say we all thought it was worth it.

Well since we had a 5 toed cat guess we will have to just check it out no matter what. Can't pass up saying hi to a cat.:D

I mostly feel sorry for the cats at the house as they are very lethargic probably because of the heat. The used to breed the cats and sell kittens but stopped doing this several years ago for some reason. Be sure to find the cat cemetary on the grounds where, among others, Spencer Tracy is buried.

Pjk

Can someone please clarify about the cats? I am just starting to research excursions for KW and wanted to do the Hemingway House but am deathly allergic to cats - are they wandering around inside the house??? Maybe my visiting there is not such a good idea? :(

If you are that allergic to cats then you need to pass on The Hemingway Home as the cats (usually around 50 or so) are most everywhere on the grounds as well as inside the home itself. I have a friend that is allergic to cat dander and she had no problem at all, maybe because the house is always open (i.e. the windows, etc) with the breezes blowing through as opposed to being closed up and air conditioned.

Mike:)

Archived