South Paific in January

We are considering a 10 night cruise from Sydney on the Dawn Princess to the South Pacific early January 2009. Can anyone advise what to expect regarding sea and weather conditions. We are keen snorkellers and are worried about the visibility. Also travelling with 2 grandchildren 4 and 7 years and worried about sea conditions at this time of the year.

We are considering a 10 night cruise from Sydney on the Dawn Princess to the South Pacific early January 2009. Can anyone advise what to expect regarding sea and weather conditions. We are keen snorkellers and are worried about the visibility. Also travelling with 2 grandchildren 4 and 7 years and worried about sea conditions at this time of the year.

It really is pot luck. We had very calm seas last December (8th to 18th) and again in Feb/March. The seas were a bit rough in April/May, particularly when close to the Australian coast. I cannot comment on visibility in one season compared with another.:):)

It does probably depend a bit on the luck of the draw! We sailed on our first cruise at the end of January/Early Feb and had fantastic, clear and relatively calm weather. (A bit of movement heading over from Brisbane to Noumea and when we came back ... but really nothing that a good dose of Dramanie or Kwells couldn't fix!). We only really had one shower on the first full sea day ... after that it was beautiful, blue skies and clear seas!

Equally, you could run into a low pressure system or cyclone:eek: - but the captain would usually do his absolute best to avoid the worst by changing itinerary/ports, etc.

Our children (then aged 6 & 9) coped beautifully (medicated I may add) with the weather, etc!

We didn't snorkel on that cruise - so can't really give you any info on that side of things ... someone else here will be able to to I'm sure!

Hope you have a wonderful time!!!:D

We did cruise this January and were luckey to get the one 'between' 2 cyclones although we did miss out on a night (and stop over in Ouvea) because of this.

We went once again to Isle of Pines (been there in July as well), found there to be less coral that was alive this time and I thought "shame on all those that you see standing up on it - the one down side of cruising - the idiots who don't respect the environment and therefore slowly destroy it!!). The visibility was good and the water definately alot warmer than previous trip.

Take a punt, I don't think you can ever count on seasons, months etc as we all know mother nature sure is unpredicatable!!!:)

Luck of the draw - we cruised out into the hybrid low (slightly different to a cyclone) for NYE this past year. The conditions were horrific - but the sister ship - Sun Princess was comfortable throught it all. Once we got to the Islands, everything became smooth again.

As said, they will not put the ship into harms way.

Thanks everyone for your input. We have taken the plunged and booked the Dawn Princess 10 nights from Sydney on the 9th January. Now the fun and anticipation begins. First time cruise for Daughter, Son-in-law and their 2 children and they are all very excited.

I can't really comment on the conditions there in Jan, but we were out there in Feb this year and it was perfect every shore day, but rained on each sea day. Doesn't really matter if it rains while you're at sea though:)

Looks like you're considering the same cruise that i'm booked on. Come join our rollcall for a chat - it's looking a bit bare :(

Looks like you're considering the same cruise that i'm booked on. Come join our rollcall for a chat - it's looking a bit bare :(

You would think a cruise that has Minxy and Chez onboard would have a very active roll call. Something about these Chrissy holiday cruises - we had a quiet roll call too. We have a few participants on the Rhapsody one a few days earlier and 18 for the meet & greet, but the roll call still dips to the bottom of the page too.

one of the ladies i work with is also on chez and minxy's cruise. There will be about 5 families with many grown up kids and their partners etc. I think there will be about 30 of them.

She keeps trying to talk me into going also. But I keep telling her she is talking to the wrong person, plus we will only be home for a few days before the cruise leaves.

Archived