Oceanview room with 2 toddlers

Al's_gal

We are in the process of booking a family cruise with DH's family, and need some help with room selection :) We will be taking our two children, ages 3 and 2 at time of cruising. It really is the most economically feasible for us to book an oceanview room. I just I'm just wondering if anyone here has done this and if it worked for them. Thanks in advance!

Which ship??

We have had an Ocean View Room on Princess, it was fine for us as our kids are older- the beds come out from the wall above the bed. I would wonder if your kids may be too young to feel comfortable in that arangement- unless you are thinking to sleep in the pull outs and have the kids below you. The room would be too small for a port a crib....

Which cruiseline/ship?

Disney would work, due to the way they have their cabins set-up with a split bath and divider curtain btw bed and living area.

Some of the other cruiselines would be tight.

We traveled on the Carnival Glory on an outside w/the kids (upgrade from inside--yipee!) and were just fine.

CeleBrat

thanks for the replies! We will be sailing on the Carnival Miracle. Our CCL group rep said that 90% of the time, groups are upgraded, so *hopefully* we could be upgraded to a balcony, but we aren't counting on it.

They would be fine in a sofabed, but if it's the beds that pull down, DH or I would probably sleep in that and let the kids share the king size bed.

And good to know about the pack and play not being able to fit in the room, b/c that was my next question!

thanks for the replies! We will be sailing on the Carnival Miracle. Our CCL group rep said that 90% of the time' date=' groups are upgraded, so *hopefully* we could be upgraded to a balcony, but we aren't counting on it.

They would be fine in a sofabed, but if it's the beds that pull down, DH or I would probably sleep in that and let the kids share the king size bed.

And good to know about the pack and play not being able to fit in the room, b/c that was my next question![/quote']

I book alot of CCL groups and I have to say that 90% is a very high percentage. Especially for a quad.

Getting upgraded to a balcony isn't going to change the sleeping arrangements. You'll still have the two twins that are put together to form a king. You'll also, in either an oceanview or balcony quad, have a "couch" which becomes a twin bed when the back couch cushions are removed (it doesn't "pull out" like a sofa bed). Above that will be another twin which drops down out of the ceiling, effectively forming a bunk bed with the "couch" below.

I guess a lot depends on your kids and their sleep patterns, but how do you think they'd do if you made up the "couch" so that they would each have their head at the opposite end? I'm thinking they are probably not tall enough to tangle legs together? You can use the back couch cushions to place on the floor to cushion their fall in the event they roll out. Or, could one adult sleep with the two kids in the king, and have the other adult sleep on the "couch"? I'm sure an adult would do OK in the upper bunk, but there's not much headroom. :eek:

However you work it out, I hope you have a great cruise! :) It's really the best family vacation going, IMHO, especially with little ones!! :D

We were in a regular balcony cabin on the Celebrity Infinity with two toddlers, a one year old and an almost three year old. The older one slept in the upper berth and that worked out great. The younger one slept in a pack-n-play in front of the balcony door, between the chair (that folds out into a bed) and the desk. Our cabin steward removed a small glass table to make room for the pack-n-play. This arrangement worked out really well for us. Of course, there wasn't a ton of extra room but there was space for us to walk between the desk and the portable crib to get to the balcony and I could sit in the desk chair to apply my makeup and blow dry my hair.

Cruise vacations in a regular cabin seem like very economical for us. One reason they are so affordable is because the rooms are very small and they place so many people on a ship. An ocean view room at an all inclusive resort would cost a lot more (or at least the ones we have looked at) but they would also be at least twice the size as a regular cabin on a ship.

We haven't tried a Disney cruise yet because they are more expensive than Celebrity, RCCL, and Princess.

I agree with I&MsMom, it really is the best family vacation. I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Getting upgraded to a balcony isn't going to change the sleeping arrangements. You'll still have the two twins that are put together to form a king. You'll also, in either an oceanview or balcony quad, have a "couch" which becomes a twin bed when the back couch cushions are removed (it doesn't "pull out" like a sofa bed). Above that will be another twin which drops down out of the ceiling, effectively forming a bunk bed with the "couch" below.

I guess a lot depends on your kids and their sleep patterns, but how do you think they'd do if you made up the "couch" so that they would each have their head at the opposite end? I'm thinking they are probably not tall enough to tangle legs together? You can use the back couch cushions to place on the floor to cushion their fall in the event they roll out. Or, could one adult sleep with the two kids in the king, and have the other adult sleep on the "couch"? I'm sure an adult would do OK in the upper bunk, but there's not much headroom. :eek:

However you work it out, I hope you have a great cruise! :) It's really the best family vacation going, IMHO, especially with little ones!! :D

Thanks for the info! yeah, I figured that the sleeping arrangements would be the same in the balcony and the OV, but having the balcony would make life easier if the kids were taking a nap. So I know it's a long shot, but keeping everything crossed for an upgrade! thanks again

We were in a regular balcony cabin on the Celebrity Infinity with two toddlers, a one year old and an almost three year old. The older one slept in the upper berth and that worked out great. The younger one slept in a pack-n-play in front of the balcony door, between the chair (that folds out into a bed) and the desk. Our cabin steward removed a small glass table to make room for the pack-n-play. This arrangement worked out really well for us. Of course, there wasn't a ton of extra room but there was space for us to walk between the desk and the portable crib to get to the balcony and I could sit in the desk chair to apply my makeup and blow dry my hair.

Cruise vacations in a regular cabin seem like very economical for us. One reason they are so affordable is because the rooms are very small and they place so many people on a ship. An ocean view room at an all inclusive resort would cost a lot more (or at least the ones we have looked at) but they would also be at least twice the size as a regular cabin on a ship.

We haven't tried a Disney cruise yet because they are more expensive than Celebrity, RCCL, and Princess.

I agree with I&MsMom, it really is the best family vacation. I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

thanks for your input as well! We just got back from a cruise where it was just DH and I, and we loved it, but I can't imagine being gone from my babies for such a long period of time ever again! We saw a ton of families on the ship, and the kids looked like they were having the time of their lives. We're very excited to get our two little ones on the ship :)

The balcony IS great for naps, and also in the evenings if the kids go to sleep early (relatively speaking!)

In the oceanview, though, what I would do at night (my kids were not napping at that point) is sit in the window - it's a really wide windowsill, draw the curtain closed, and read or write in my journal with a flashlight while I watched the wake. They got a dark room, and I had some space for myself.:)

Whatever you end up with - enjoy!

We have traveled with one toddler in an oceanview before and the port a crib fit fine but two port a cribs would be tight. You could also make beds with pillows/blankets on the floor if needed next to the king bed. With kids that young it would be easy to do. You would be surprised how spacious carnival's cabins are compared to RCCL, princess and celebrity for the oceanviews.

Archived