Cruise Suggestions for 2009

joelfernandez

We're trying to plan a cruise for summer of 2009 with the extended family. We would need about 3-4 state rooms because we are about 7 adults and 3-4 children...maybe more. We've done the caribbean and loved it. We would like to try something new, perhaps europe ? the mediterranian? etc ? We want to go somewhere new, but are pretty sure we're going the cruise-route.

our home port is NYC, but we'd fly anywhere.

Any suggestions/ideas ?

I'd like to be able to help you, but unfortunately I am not really a seasoned cruiser, or even traveller for that matter. We've pretty much stuck with very basic destinations so far in both cruise and land vacations. (with hopes of that changing as time progresses)

I do think that what you decide for Summer 2009 will depend a lot upon your budget and that of those travelling with you. (isn't that always the case) What is nice about the cruise vs. some land based destinations is that different cabin categories can better help with budget disparities between travellers (if that is ever a concern)

Now with air going up up up and Summer 2009 not being available for purchase yet, you may want to consider that in your planning at this stage.

Let us know what you've planned when you come to a decision. And I hope someone can be a bit more help than I have been;)

Europe, regardless of the itinerary (eastern/western Med., Baltics, etc) is going to be very, very port intensive. It's a great way to "sample" the great destinations in Europe, an a really great, no stress way to travel with children, but it is not much like a cruise in the Caribbean (not that that is a bad thing, necessarily! Love them both!! ;))

There are really just so many itineraries and cruise lines to choose from, it's hard to say what would be right for your family. I think I would start with a general area that sounds really wonderful to you, and then look at options, including prices (don't forget to consider shore excursions, which in Europe can add up), itinerary (making sure you have sufficient time in ports to actually enjoy them), and specific ships.

Happy researching, and I hope you find the perfect cruise for you! :)

We are going on a Baltic cruise with our children the summer of 2009. We thought that it would be a great opportunity to experience a number of Scandinavian countries that we would not likely travel to otherwise. Our children who will be 6 and 12 are keen to do this itinerary. Our older daughter is particularly interested in visiting St. Petersberg. You may want to consider the ages of the children and their particular interests when choosing a destination. We find that ours always have definite ideas about where they would like to travel to next.

If you can to go to Europe , go!!!

I just got back from a cruise the with my 3 kids ( ages 4 , 8 and 11) and we had the time of our lives!!!!

I´d highly recommend the Barcelona-Venice cruise. It goes to all of the "highlights" and "must-see" of Europe (and the world for that matter).

My kids were thrilled to see the Leaning Tower , the Coliseum , The Acropolis , the Vatican and to ride a gondola-all things they had seen in books and movies.

We visited Barcelona , the French Riveira (and Monaco) , Pisa/Tuscany Region, Rome , Naples/Amalfi Coast (includes Pompeii-kids loved that..) , Athens , Santorini(wonderful!) , Dubrovnik(breathtaking) and Venice.

I wrote a long review on the Celebrity Boards called "Summit Review-Part 1"- it might be helpful.....

Have fun!Kim

I have to say that Europe is really special. This is a very expensive cruise in relation to other types of cruises however. Airfare is anyone's guess. We paid $ 1200 per person. The cruise price isn't that bad for 12 night cruises but you will be doing tours, exchanging dollars for Euros, have transportation costs (taxis, trains). So this is a huge investment for people. If the group is ready for an expensive trip- then go! I love Europe.

If you want a really relaxing, less expensive proposition, do Alaska. I have been there 4 times and it is a wonderful adventure.

Archived