Wow.. Oasis of the Seas

I'm not one of the naysayers - I think it looks pretty cool. But I do have to wonder about the wisdom of having an open promenade - if you have a couple days of rain, even with drainage, who will be walking around it? When we came back in a hurricaine - we just stayed on the interior of the ship and not exposed to outdoors - couldn't do that on Oasis it appears.

YEah, I am sure that RCI forgot about ALL THIS STUFF when building a ship like this. They forgot it rains in the Caribbean, they forgot to add drainage, they just didn't think about any of it. Great question.

I wouldn't care if it even hit the water. I would still book a cabin.

Why would you think they haven't thought about drainage, lifeboats and such. I'm sure it wouldn't even make it out of the design stage if they weren't well planned out.

The Center of the ship is no different then an outside cabin or any open resort area. Rain happens! Thats why there are inside activites as well.

Food is a matter of taste and I have never been disappointed with the food I get.

Ya' know, that video just reinforces my thought that Royal doesn't provide the kind of experience I'm interested in. What struck me was the emphasis on the interior of the ship. If I counted right I only saw three shots of the exterior of the vessel. Pretty much everything else revolved around the Boardwalk. I don't need a mall on my cruise.

The one feature that I did find impressive was the amphitheater at the aft end of the ship. It invites views of the sea that the rest of the ship seems to avoid.

Just my $.02...

I'm with you there Mach! I cruise for the sea! If I didn't love the water I could vacation at a giant hotel. Nothing against RCL--I wouldn't go on it if it were a CCL ship either. It's the same reason I prefer a balcony on a lower deck--I like being closer to the water! I guess I'm just a water person.

I love the lido deck and I don't want a lounge by the pool--I want one with a clear view of the sea. It just calms me and washes my worries away.

I was starting to think maybe I was the only one. The design so far of this ship, let alone all the passengers, has zero appeal to me.

Zero appeal? Yet, I see you are going on the Liberty and Freedom, currently the largest ships in the world. Hmmm, interesting thought process you have going there.

Its fine I dont mind taking heat for this but I'm just putting it out there...I'm sure that Royal Caribbean has thought of everything

But there has never been 7000+ people on any single cruise ship ever in the history of cruising, so who know what kind of issues would come up...

Re lifeboats,

back in Sept. on the Rhapsody it was said by the Captain that they got approval to use a new kind of lifeboats for (back then) Genesis holdin 600 persons each.

Other than that I kinda agree with the OP. I think this ship is going to be something I would like to explore as it´s very innovative for sure, however I´m not thrilled about sailing such a big ship. I´m fine with the smaller ones.

To many people - no-where to dock - food for the masses - Very little appeal for me sorry !!

Pictures are great - lets see what it ends up like ( all well and good on paper )

jj....

LOL good on paper...newsflash, the paper is being assembled. Please, do not and I repeat do not go on this ship, this will leave plenty of cabins for those of us who know it will be truly spectacular.

This ship isnt for everyone, but I think the purpose of the video was to show something new, innovative and different. Im not sure how showing the exterior of the ship would accomplish that. I think we all know what a deck with a chair looks like. One of the first things people want to see of a new ship is the interior.

The amphitheater is truly impressive. They have taken MUTS and SeaSide Theater and put it on its ear.

The point I was making is that the vessel looks very ungainly and cumbersome, to me at least, and they only provided three very fleeting glimpses of the ship.

060206_project_genesis2_hlrg_9a.hlarge.jpg

I think that Oasis is targeted towards a certain demographic....families. I think that for veteran cruisers...this goes beyond traditional....and is why some dislike the concept of a mall like atmosphere. But from my point of view-- smaller the ships, the less there is to do for kids. I found a lot of kids complaining of boredom on small to medium size vessels.....sure they have the kids club, but when the facilities are closed-- you find these kids all over the staircases and pressing all the buttons on the elevators--argh! I think Princess has the right idea of limiting the amount of kids on some sailings. =)

Overall I think RCL has the right state of mind by inventing these new ship designs because they aren't targeting the traditional cruisers, they're targeting families....as a parent..what's good for my kids, is what's good for me...Oasis seems like a perfect fit. If I didn't have kids, then a medium sized ship is just fine.

Its fine I dont mind taking heat for this but I'm just putting it out there...I'm sure that Royal Caribbean has thought of everything

But there has never been 7000+ people on any single cruise ship ever in the history of cruising' date=' so who know what kind of issues would come up...[/quote']

Some of our current Naval Carriers carry 6000 people on a regular basis. Please dont go on the ship, instead book the Majesty or equivalent while the rest of us have a spectacular vacation on board Oasis.

Does anyone else think this is the biggest waste of space????

I was really excited about Oasis but think most of the reveals today including the boardwalk are very very tacky. Seems like it will be an amusement park in the water....

"LOL good on paper...newsflash, the paper is being assembled"

Well would you like to put a small wager on that the those pics won't add up to the same thing when its launched ?

jj.....

This is a comprised list of new information from the press releases on the Oasis of the Seas website that add on to what was released during the press release earlier today!

Boardwalk Info:

The Zip-Line will be 82 feet long

Johnny Rockets and the "Seafood Shack" will be on the Boardwalk

Expected to be the center of kid activity

There will be a store for teens called the "Star Pier"

There will be a store for kids.

There will be six AquaTheater Suites, 221 Boardwalk-view balcony staterooms, and eight Boardwalk-view window staterooms

Royal Prom Info:

The Royal Promenade will serve as the entry point for all guests embarking on Oasis of the Seas, rather than the traditional lower decks. A vast tree sculpture by international artist Larry Kirkland will serve as an impressive welcoming spot.

There will only be 18 staterooms this time

A giant copper globe will “crack open” as part of its unique construction and extend over the Royal Promenade as a bridge platform.

8 Stores and 9 Restruants

New coffee bar called "Mondo Coffee Bar"

Not offically a Neighborhood as of right now.

New AquaTheater Info:

Fitted with three stage machinery devices, the pool’s depth will rise or fall to meet the needs of each performance and for its various functions throughout the day

Three custom lifts built into the pool will allow for intricate and multilevel performances

Underwater cameras will film performers and project images onto two giant Barco® LED screens that will flank the stage

Throughout the evenings, the AquaTheater pool will come alive with beautiful choreographed fountain shows, amid hundreds of water nozzles – some with capabilities of shooting water 65 feet (20 meters) high – programmed to music and lights

A giant trampoline will be centered between two diving towers allowing gymnasts and aerialists to flip and dismount into the pool

The diving tower will include two spring boards and two 10-meter high dive platforms

A bridge connects the two high dive boards which can support an entire row of divers. On the underbelly of this bridge will be lights and nozzles that allow for water to fall like a curtain down into the pool below

A trapeze will hang behind the high dive boards to give the appearance that trapeze artists are climbing the curtain of water

Contrary to the new video, the AquaTheater is being billed as an extension of the Boardwalk on the Oasis of the Seas website, and not it's own neighborhood.

Other general new Oasis info:

37 categories of accommodation options many with views unique to Oasis of the Seas.

I know it's a Royal Caribbean ship, but this just blows me away. Wow.

I love all cruises (so far), so I am not promoting one over another, just saying if the Carnival crowd has not yet seen this, you might want to take a peek at the 8 min video on the website. It was just relased within the past 24 hours, I believe.

http://www.oasisoftheseas.com/

OMG, hate it, hate it, hate it. That's not a cruise ship, that's a City your'e trying to leave behind to get to a cruise ship only to find out you're back in the City LOL!

If you look here...

http://oasisoftheseas.com/renders/exterior/Ship_Profile_w_Name_R.jpg

You can see curved railings and a sweeping staircase in the glass area above the bridge.

So, could this be Windjammer, a 2-deck Spa and Gym, or possibly a while new venue?

What do you guys think?

Also, if you look through other areas of the ship's top glass decks, many details are hidden.

If you look closely here...

http://oasisoftheseas.com/renders/exterior/Ship_Aft_profile_w_Aqua_Theater_R.jpg and http://oasisoftheseas.com/renders/exterior/Exterior_Side_Profile_R.jpg

It looks like there will be some unique rooms at the back of the Viking Crown area.

I am really trying to be a good sport about this because in my original post I did say i would prob end up going on the Oasis and as you can see by my signature i have been on the liberty twice...

I think alot of posters are taken what im saying a little too far...all I am saying is that I'm a little concerned about the outcome of the ship, and I am probably wrong but there is nothing wrong with playing a little devil's advocate...

I would pick a RCC ship over any other cruiseline in the world because i love the line and def consider myself a very experienced cruiser so this is not coming from a bad place at all!!!

And i never mentioned food shortage, i talked about food quality and that's completely different...

I think it looks amazing! There may be too many people for me, but the ship itself looks WAY cool. How would it be to have enough money to charter it:D The press release awhile back said something about their "Central Park" idea and they went with the idea of "if it is raining outside, it is raining in Central Park". That is the concept they want... they didn't just leave it open not thinking of that. I think the balconies facing Central Park are going to be an awesome thing. I love the ocean view, but I actually think that the people watching may be more fun.

It would be nice, HOWEVER, if they could figure out ports that did not need tenders (which I don't know how they will do that in the Eastern Caribbean) because that does not sound fun.

Like one poster said... I wouldn't even care if it hit the water... it would be a cool hotel anchored somewhere:)

Looks like quite an impressive resort, er, cruise ship. I wonder, how many ports can really accommodate a ship this large? I imagine they will market this more as a resort at sea than a traditional cruise experience. Then again, if I want a resort vacation, why cruise? Not sold on this concept yet.

First, let me state that I am totally in love with Oasis and cannot wait to see it all in action.

Second, has anyone ever been in an elevator and bounced a ball in it? Same thing with a car - have you ever tossed a ball in a moving car? It never falls in the same spot...

So how wet is everyone going to get OR (because the ship will be moving forward), how awkward are fountains going to look when the water shoots up from one location and lands in the wake behind the ship? Or on the divers standing on that bridge?

I was an English major so I'm no science guru, but the physics of this don't make sense to me. Any engineers out there that can shed some light on how this works on a moving vessel?

Thanks!!

Like one poster said... I wouldn't even care if it hit the water... it would be a cool hotel anchored somewhere:)

That would certainly solve the crisis of the lack of life boats. :cool:

In response to your initial post, I will bet you that they have ports to dock, (already stated). I will bet you they have enough food venues and it will not feel overcrowded while onboard this ship. As far as decor goes, who cares and it was not a part of your initial post. So basically when this becomes a huge success you can make me a shepards pie with a cold Harpoon.

I don't think rain will be too much of a problem...there seems to be lots of indoor space for everyone. Lifeboats are required by law to carry all passengers and crew, plus some extra capacity.

Looks like quite an impressive resort, er, cruise ship. I wonder, how many ports can really accommodate a ship this large? I imagine they will market this more as a resort at sea than a traditional cruise experience. Then again, if I want a resort vacation, why cruise? Not sold on this concept yet.

Her itinerary

Eastern Caribbean itinerary from Fort Lauderdale to Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; and Nassau, the Bahamas.

Western Caribbean itinerary to Labadee, Haiti; Falmouth, Jamaica and Cozumel, Mexico.

Archived